Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

126 - 150 of 296 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Alan Z

Jun 08, 2016

Very cool course shows me how to model many real world examples, tons of modeling techniques, and most importantly, how to think inde

By Tom B

Jan 14, 2016

Barely in and it's one of the very best most fun courses I've taken. Scott is hugely enthusiastic and articulate in just the right ways. I hope I'm learning as much as I'm having fun letting model patterns float through my brain. I guess that is learning, sorta. I'm excited to complete the course and build on it. A very good sign. Thank you all so much for putting these courses out there. It's fucking fantastic. Okay, it doesn't really get more emphatic than that from me. Thank you again. Tom Bauer.

By Nas Y

Oct 17, 2016

This is a course for anyone who wants to be able to think logically. As an IT professional I would recommend this course to my colleagues in the Information Technology field.

By Susan M

Jul 26, 2017

I loved this course.

By Vishnu R

Mar 17, 2016

Excellent course

By Kadir Ö

Oct 25, 2015

This course is exellent for whom want to be a leader in their country.

By José R B

Mar 10, 2017

This is a very good course for many people. From engineers (I am one myself) to economists and policy makers, there is always something usefull. Also, the classes are fun to watch! I had a great time and learned a great deal. Thanks!

By Clemens S

Jun 08, 2016

Succinct, useful in day to day life, easy to understand and yet complex. A great course I would recommend to everybody (and frequently do recommend).

By Taffy E

Jan 06, 2016

Excellent course. Even just the first two weeks are worth 5 stars. The math can be intimidating later on. Take what works for you!!

By Frank P

Dec 05, 2016

I loved this course.

I followed this course to prepare myself for teaching a similar course at the HZ University of Applied Sciences in the Netherlands.

This MOOC suits me perfectly to flip the classroom. Students study the videos offered by professor Page before they come to class. In class, I organize workshops that take about three hours during which the models are discussed and applied in groups of up to four students. Having a big classroom available with whiteboards all around the walls is a big plus. Standing really makes people's mind moving.

At the end of each workshop, students have to do an assignment that closely relates to the topics that arose during the workshop. Together, all these assignments make up the portfolio wherein students keep track of their learning process and reflect on their learning experience.

I wish everybody a happy thoughtful day,

Frank Peeters

Senior Lecturer at the HZ University of Applied Sciences in the Netherlands

frank.peeters@hz.nl

By Juan P S

Jan 12, 2016

It's not just for good citizens, it's also for good politicians !

By Akhil S

Mar 15, 2016

This is a great introductory course for someone who wants to understand what modeling really is and what are some of the tools and techniques used to come up with a model. This might even pique your curiosity to other advance underlying subjects.

By Mawabo M

Dec 23, 2015

I have a Masters degree and until I took this MOOC I had somehow gotten used to the ridiculous notion that I had learned everything that I needed to know. I am pleasantly amazed at how much I still don't know and I am very excited to learn more. I have even started reading journal articles by Page and Zellner because I am very facinated by the models shown to me in this course.

Thank you very much for making this material available.

By Omar S

Aug 07, 2017

Well done, the professor has a great personality which makes it fun to understand the topics. Using math to solve practical real life problems. Amazing!

By 박성준

Oct 26, 2015

HIS speak

By Denerson D P M

Jun 25, 2018

Excelente curso para desenvolver modelos analíticos que vão muito além do senso comum, de forma estruturada e crítica, a partir de dados e inferências estatísticas, matemáticas e sócio-comportamentais.

By Philip W

Nov 19, 2016

Clear. Well paced. Methodical. Ideal balance of mathematics and practical application. Mathematics not too overwhelming although it did push my thinking hard.

By Percy B

Oct 21, 2015

A

By Dennis A

Jul 10, 2016

Presenter is excellent, subject matter is fascinating

By Filipe M P M

Nov 24, 2015

Excelent

By saniuri

May 09, 2018

Lots of interesting and practical models were taught. Definitely gonna take this course again.

By Ritayan B

Jun 25, 2016

I found this to be extremely interesting. This is the course that you savour every second of. Both content and delivery are superlative. Highly recommended if you have any clue of what models are all about.

By TRACE F

Feb 05, 2016

Great course covering modeling techniques and perspective!

By Danilo B S

Jan 19, 2017

Excellent course, it helps understanding the world around us and creating logical ways to solve complex problems.

By 庄宇州

Oct 07, 2015

It’s really funny,and we can learn a lot from this course,even without any awareness.Just a few words that we cannot get it indeed frustrated us.