Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

126 - 150 of 297 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Соколова Д А

Dec 07, 2017

Super informative and in some cases even entertaining.This course helped me to look at our lives from a different poi

By Marco Z

Apr 22, 2018

Very interesting. Especially the part about the game of life and cellular automata models!

By YE Q

Nov 04, 2017

非常值得学习的课程,对学术或者实践都大有裨益!

By Julius G

Apr 08, 2018

This is a great introduction to the types and uses of models. The lectures are clear, and the examples given show good applicability to real world problems. Thanks for making it available!

By Matias H

Jan 09, 2016

Great teacher!

By George B

May 02, 2016

A+

By Gustavo S d S

Apr 02, 2018

Great professor and resources, relevant concepts about different Thinking Models, Markov, Lyapunov, Blotto, Linear, Categorial, Nash Equilibrium, Paretto Efficiency, etc.

Useful to apply on workplace and daily life as well...

By Mark

Jun 09, 2016

This course is simply AMAZING!!! Thank you Michigan University, & Mr. Scott for your meticulous efforts in bringing to the world quality education in the most simplified pattern!!! Kuddos to Coursera!!!

By yinyue171

Nov 25, 2016

very nice.

By Balint P

Jan 31, 2017

Very useful and engaging course in general! There were a lot of interesting parts in it. Especially, because it showed that the "many model thinking" is a useful "tool" in various fields of life. There were some trivial parts/ lectures, but it was still useful to go back to some basics for deeper understanding. Scott Page was also a great lecturer and I liked the whole structure of the course. Thanks for the great course, keep up the good work!

By Marta K

Jun 06, 2017

An eye opening walk through different models that govern our lives, both personal, political, social, economic and... [insert any industry, academic discipline]. It'll help you become a more rational person, pay attention to fallacies and patterns that appear around us. Might also turn you into a selfish bot evaluating everything rationally, unless that's just me ;-)

By Danilo M F

Jun 04, 2017

Excellent professor, meaningful insights and great course! Extremely recommended!

By Yuan X

Dec 10, 2015

this is what I need.

By Yaron K

Apr 07, 2018

By Rodolphe I

Nov 18, 2016

I like it when courses are related to real life problems and thus immediately useful. And that's the case with this course. You'll not only learn some interesting ways to model things out. It will make you tick and reflect on a lot of subjects / putting things into perspectives. Long but rewarding!

By Qu L

Jun 23, 2017

This is a good course to inspire my model thinking. The models in this class include daily situations. Our decisions usually follow a pattern that we may not notice. Study of this course helps me better think critically and make decisions in real-life situation.

By Sergio A C

Oct 23, 2016

good

By DONGLI Y

Sep 21, 2017

An excellent course!

By Zephyr L

Sep 04, 2017

Great coverage on how to model a system!

By Aman G

Mar 04, 2018

Great course! This can help you in making better decisions.

By Rafia N

Jan 13, 2016

This course is just amazing.

By Cliff S

Sep 19, 2016

Excellent course, wide scale application, highly recommend.

Also :

-clear presentation

-no technical issues with quizzes or content issues

By Кучумов В А

Jun 27, 2017

It is hard to imagine that a huge amount of information, which Scott collected, structured and offered as a finished course. I have learned a lot new data about natural phenomena, the behavior of the group of people and individuals in different social and economic conditions. I think that course is very useful to any person who want to expand his horizons and become truly "an intelligent citizen in the world". Thanks a lot.

By gaocen

Jun 24, 2016

S

By conanar

Dec 07, 2016

It really opened my mind.