Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

126 - 150 of 298 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Stefano G

Feb 08, 2017

This excellent course provides a broad overview of the main models for decision support. Arguments are too vast to be treated in a single course, each of them would deserve at least one special course. But what is important is the knowledge of these opportunities. The course provides the basic tools in several areas, leaving the opportunity to deepen to the interest of each participant. A special praise to the teacher, proficient in triggering the audience's interest and attention, with a good dose of sympathy and irony.

By Carla M

Mar 07, 2016

Very interesting! The teacher explains really well and even though his expertise is social science, he always explains how this thinking can pertain to other realms.

By Anton O

Jun 05, 2017

Great lectures, but I would appreciate the course much more if it went deeper into the mathematics and how to model things from that perspective.

By stephenli

Feb 20, 2016

great course, interesting , many new perspective over worlds

By Michael C

Mar 18, 2016

Very good and inspiring course. It teaches around 20 different models, not overwhelming you with math but giving you nonetheless a good and solid introduction. Also, the reading material is really good.

By Zhanwen.Han

Aug 29, 2016

very good for beginner. if speaking speed can slow a little, will be nicer!

By Iaroslav F

Mar 20, 2016

I started to better understand stuff and processes.

By Nuno S

May 04, 2016

Brilliant!

By Darik C

Sep 21, 2017

No course helped me in understanding complex systems like this one take the time to learn this

By Ashwin P

Nov 07, 2015

This is an awesome course. Just would like to have some advanced courses that discuss creation of more models.

By Aloys F T

Jun 28, 2016

My favorite course of all time.. It has a lot of interesting concepts and a fascinating perspective on this weird thing the world/society is.

By ADRIANO A

Oct 18, 2017

Excellent course.

By Udaya R

Nov 13, 2016

This was a very well structured course. Prof. Scott has delivered wach lecture with great clarity. As introduction course, it had a very good range of topics and models to learn from. The content is intuitive enough to apreciate the "fertility" of these models and apply them in various contexts.

Many thanks,

Looking forward to more such courses on modeling,

Udaya Ranga

By Tomasz K

Apr 30, 2016

excellent

By Aleksandr

May 21, 2017

Very dinamic, interesting and useful course, that many people from various spheres of work and interests could take with benefits. Although few questions in quizzes are doubtfull, the very lections of course are great! Many thanks to Scott E. Page and all other course team members!

By kim c

Sep 04, 2016

this course keeps the basic line for thinking on platform. And the You can get the Idea of resol

By Noha A A

Oct 08, 2016

Very informative and interesting!

By miguel b

Jul 12, 2017

I really love how this course covers this interesting and useful subject.

By Mohamed Y

Feb 16, 2016

This is one of the best courses I have ever take in thinking.

By José M P F

Aug 09, 2016

Muy bueno.

By sukran c

Feb 16, 2018

I certainly advise everyone this course. Thank you for such a good and informative lessons.

By Bigfoot