Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

JR

Aug 02, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

NM

Jan 08, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

26 - 50 of 137 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Mike H

Oct 21, 2015

very clear

By Michael M

Aug 20, 2015

The course offers a sound and well presented introduction to th

By Jeyana M

Apr 27, 2016

Thank you for this course!

Professor Roth, I love your teaching style. Such course can easily be made boring, but I was excited and interested every minute of your lectures.

During last few month (luckily for me, the course is self-paced) I've read more of serious literature than during all my life.

The most resonating for me was Baudelaire and the "flâneur" aesthetics.

And, quite strangely, reading Nietzsche makes me happy :)

Thanks again to everyone, who was involved in creating this course.

By Arash M

Apr 20, 2017

Great journey into the modern world!

By Epitropou S

Dec 27, 2016

A very interesting course. A privilege to be part of it. A powerful inspiration and motive to learn more about the most important figures of the last couple of centuries.

By Cindy B

Oct 24, 2015

An excellent overview of the history of philosophy and its influence.

By Petro S

Mar 21, 2017

Extremely well organised, breathtaking lectures. Strongly recommend to those who are interested in philosophy!

By Tereza K

Aug 12, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. What I found particularly interesting was the possibility of reading the essays of my classmates and learning from them as well. I want to especially thank Prof. Roth for his excitement he brought to philosophy of 18. and 19. century.

By Naman M

Jan 08, 2016

By Yeshvendra P S

Dec 26, 2015

Truly Enlightening with an amazing professor and team.

By penn w

Apr 11, 2016

This class is wonderful and i'm looking forward to re-taking it when it becomes available.

By Bergthor S

Oct 01, 2015

THE most interesting lecturer I have found in recent times.

Wonderfully enlightening approach to the subjec.

By zeynep h

Sep 28, 2016

I really enjoyed the class. I recomend it.

By Ahmad Y

Mar 09, 2016

This is an exciting course offered by in intuitive professor.

By Damián L

Oct 24, 2016

Excellent course! Very educational and an interesting refresher on college-level philosophy courses. Waiting for part 2!

By Jenifer S

Aug 09, 2015

What is the Enlightenment? Part One of this course pulls together a number of stimulating readings to introduce the basic concepts of the title. Taught by an expert with grace and style. Stimulating assignments challenge the student to think comparatively and deeply.

By ajay r

Dec 25, 2017

I Like How Professor Roth remains objective throughout the course without letting his personal opinions hindering his teaching in any way.Enjoyed the course Very much!Highly recommend.

By Michael M

Apr 05, 2017

A very informative course that is extremely well presented.

By Remington C

Jan 02, 2016

Great teacher, fascinating ideas. The reading was pretty intense, but I loved that about it.

By Jian Z

Sep 28, 2015

Professor Roth is awesome breezing in all major modern and postmodern philosophy, litera

By Carolina P d S

Aug 05, 2017

wonderful

By Drayson N

Sep 04, 2016

Imperative to a responsible understanding of the contemporary world and what brought it about.

By Roland I

Aug 19, 2015

Very accessible, very inspiring - thanks

By Anne G

Jan 10, 2017

The philosophy course they should have taught my at the Lycee....

By Armie M