Back to The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1) by Wesleyan University

This course examines how the idea of "the modern" develops at the end of the 18th century in European philosophy and literature, and how being modern (or progressive, or hip) became one of the crucial criteria for understanding and evaluating cultural change. Are we still in modernity, or have we moved beyond the modern to the postmodern?...

NM

Jan 08, 2016

One of the best professors i've ever come across! If the teacher is so passionate about the subject material as well as conveying the ideas, the course will be excellent. This is one of those courses.

JR

Aug 02, 2019

It was a fabulous journey, and brought me so much nearer to the great minds of the 18th and especially the 19th century, reading original texts, and listening to Prof Roth's wonderful interpretations.

51 - 75 of 138 Reviews for The Modern and the Postmodern (Part 1)

By Yuezhen L

Jan 15, 2016

This course is very helpful in giving students a survey in the major thoughts of the modern Western world. The fact that it is carried out by Wesleyan University, a premier Liberal Arts College in the United States, ensures its quality and seminar-style coherence. I find it particularly interesting when each chapeter is started by an assigned reading task with the instructor's videos following, which is a rather typical method by which American collegiates learn humanities.

By Kat

Nov 04, 2016

I listened to both part I and part 2 of The Modern and the Postmodern, but sadly didn't have enough time to do all the reading and assignments. However, I enjoyed these lectures so much I might do this mooc again when I have more time for the readings. GREAT material and I love the way Professor Roth conveys it.

By Michael M

Apr 05, 2017

A very informative course that is extremely well presented.

By Andrew G

Dec 05, 2015

Excellent course. I really enjoyed this and it opened my eyes to areas of thought and thinking that I had not previously had the opportunity to encounter or study.

By Beatriz S

May 19, 2016

Wonderful!

By Peter M

Feb 21, 2018

5+ Highly recommended! Interesting, informative, and very well presented!

By Raquel O d

Nov 14, 2016

This is a delightful course, despite of its complexity. You can follow the discussion and very good explanation without much difficulty, because the professor guide in a clearly and objective way. I really enjoyed it ;)

By Liu y

Aug 24, 2015

Extremely-interesting course!

By Taweechai Y

Aug 14, 2015

I wish to have a course about Existentialism too if it's possible, thank you!

By Sankar V

May 20, 2017

Information overload for people occupied with other jobs too but a wonderful experience and journey through the essential philosophers that needs to be read for looking into a modern and post modern world. High intellectual quality and wonderfully structured course. cheers! thanks

By Andrea E

Sep 23, 2015

I absolutely loved the course content and the style of the instructor.

The only feedback I'd extend is more variety in the writing assignment prompts, and a little more specificity in the quiz wording. Some of the questions seemed phrased in an unclear way.

By Danai M P

Mar 10, 2018

Starting this course coincided with my having to stay at home due to a cold. I became so engrossed that staying in and studying was not only a palliative measure for cabin fever ennui but actually what I really wanted to be doing. As a result I finished the course well before its deadline. I appreciated having Professor Roth describe the perspectives of all these different thinkers so clearly, so simply, so intelligently. His enthusiasm was contagious. All the references to texts were really helpful. The course also gave me the opportunity to read texts I never normally would have done. I am already on to The Modern and the Postmodern Part II. Thank you, great experience.

By Joyce Z

Jan 24, 2016

very systematic~

By Anne F

Sep 18, 2015

I love this course. The enthusiasm of the teacher is wonderful. His choice of works and their treatment are excellent. I learned a lot, even though I have an MA in Literary Studies.

By Ana C C

Oct 03, 2015

Amazing oportunity to develop ideas in different subjects around the theme of modernity. The course covers many authors,and though never gets superficial. The best part is Professor Roth and the pieces of readings in an emotional, thrilling way. Thanks Coursera!

By Roua A

May 29, 2017

Michael Roth, you Made this experience unforgettable, thank you!!!

By Tereza K

Aug 12, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. What I found particularly interesting was the possibility of reading the essays of my classmates and learning from them as well. I want to especially thank Prof. Roth for his excitement he brought to philosophy of 18. and 19. century.

By Yeshvendra P S

Dec 26, 2015

Truly Enlightening with an amazing professor and team.

By Jeyana M

Apr 27, 2016

Thank you for this course!

Professor Roth, I love your teaching style. Such course can easily be made boring, but I was excited and interested every minute of your lectures.

During last few month (luckily for me, the course is self-paced) I've read more of serious literature than during all my life.

The most resonating for me was Baudelaire and the "flâneur" aesthetics.

And, quite strangely, reading Nietzsche makes me happy :)

Thanks again to everyone, who was involved in creating this course.

By Cindy B

Oct 24, 2015

An excellent overview of the history of philosophy and its influence.

By Petro S

Mar 21, 2017

Extremely well organised, breathtaking lectures. Strongly recommend to those who are interested in philosophy!

By Nadezda Z

Aug 14, 2015

One of the best courses I ever had an opportunity to encounter on Coursera. It is an insightful, enlightening journey into the cultural and philosophical heritage of humanity. The professor opens up and talks in a most compelling way about all major ideas of modernity that you have heard about. This course is a must for anyone who wants to be an intellectual person.

By Mike H

Oct 21, 2015

very clear

By christophe v d

Oct 21, 2015

excellent course and great teacher

By Frank D