Back to Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills by University of Michigan

We all negotiate on a daily basis. On a personal level, we negotiate with friends, family, landlords, car sellers and employers, among others. Negotiation is also the key to business success. No business can survive without profitable contracts. Within a company, negotiation skills can lead to your career advancement. I hope that you will join the hundreds of thousands of learners who have made “Successful Negotiation” one of the most popular and highly-rated MOOCs worldwide. In the course, you’ll learn about and practice the four steps to a successful negotiation: (1) Prepare: Plan Your Negotiation Strategy (2) Negotiate: Use Key Tactics for Success (3) Close: Create a Contract (4) Perform and Evaluate: The End Game To successfully complete this course and improve your ability to negotiate, you’ll need to do the following: (1) Watch the short videos (ranging from 5 to 20 minutes). The videos are interactive and they include questions to test your understanding of negotiation strategy and skills. You can speed up or slow down videos to match your preferred pace for listening. Depending on your schedule, you can watch the videos over a few weeks or you can binge watch them. A learner who binge-watched the course concluded that “It’s as good as Breaking Bad.” Another learner compared the course to “House of Cards.” Both shows contain interesting examples of complex negotiations! (2) Test your negotiation skills by completing the negotiation in Module 6. You can negotiate with a local friend or use Discussions to find a partner from another part of the world. Your negotiation partner will give you feedback on your negotiation skills. To assist you with your negotiations, I have developed several free negotiating planning tools that are related to the course. These tools and a free app are available at http://negotiationplanner.com/ (3) Take the final exam. To successfully complete the course, you must answer 80% of the questions correctly. The exam is a Mastery Exam, which means that you can take it as many times as you want until you master the material. Course Certificate You have the option of earning a Course Certificate. A Certificate provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Michigan logo. Learn more about Certificates at: https://learner.coursera.help/hc/en-us/articles/209819053-Get-a-Course-Certificate This course is also available in Spanish and Portuguese. To join the fully translated Spanish version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacion/ To join the fully translated Portuguese version, visit this page: https://www.coursera.org/learn/negociacao Subtitles for the videos are available in English, Ukrainian, Chinese (Simplified), Portuguese (Brazilian), Spanish Created by: University of Michigan The course logo composite is shared with a Creative Commons CC BY-SA (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/) license, and was created using images provided courtesy of Flazingo Photos (http://bit.ly/1zOylRm) and K2 Space (https://www.flickr.com/photos/k2space/14257556613/in/set-72157644732478432)....

AB

Mar 09, 2017

Probably the best course videos Ive come across. Professor George I believe is an amazing teacher...the way he gets the concept across to students by simple and constant examples is worth mentioning..

YT

Sep 18, 2015

This is one of the best and enlightening MOOC I have taken and I already start reaping the benefit. I encourage everyone who is serious about his/her career to consider this course!\n\nYannick Kounga

226 - 250 of 1,473 Reviews for Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills

By Betty T

Oct 01, 2016

Great course. A range of topics are presented in a succinct way. Professor's relaxed and conversational style was easy to understand his examples made the concepts relatable.

By Shubham S

Feb 17, 2016

A very detailed course , effective to develop one's negotiation skills , also focuses on the concepts (for example: mediation) relevant in current/future time,really satisfied.

By George F

Aug 28, 2015

Very useful course! Decided to take it on my spare time after graduating, it definitely has a very broad application. It will definitely come in handy in the future! Thank you!

By Yhouga A M

Jan 14, 2020

Probably the best online course with specific topic I've ever joined, glad to hear that my final exam passed because it was too difficult for me. A challenging course for you!

By Kumara D S

Apr 02, 2018

excellent course. useful for everyone interested in negotiation, business and other deal making activities. creates better knowledge to survive some real life situations also.

By Carolina F T

Oct 08, 2019

Very interesting. This certainly will give you a competitive advantage in your career and profession. the teacher was excellent very clear and he knows a lot about the topic.

By Maryam p

Dec 31, 2016

This course is absolutely instrumental for those who want to have a smart negotiation skill, not only in business but also in everyday life when communication is inevitable.

By Ricardo F

Oct 29, 2016

This MOOC provides you important tools that can be very usefull in your life. The course is really well structured, the lessons are very clear and complete. Strongly advised!

By Joseph Q

Nov 23, 2016

Excellent course! The lecture had an engaging style and gave plenty of very useful examples and anecdotes to illustrate points and keep one engaged. Very highly recommended!

By Sandeep C K

Aug 18, 2015

Well structured with theory subject and related examples/case-studies. I 'm glad that I took this course, it makes me feel better with my negotiations but yet to test them.

By Giacomo P

Dec 30, 2015

The professor is clear in explaining and makes you feel part of the lectures. You learn the content and you learn how to really use what is explained. Amazing opportunity.

By Sebnem O

Dec 27, 2015

I've just completed the course and it was far better than I had expected. Prof. Siedel is a perfect teacher so is the course.

Thank him, Coursera and U-M.

Best from Turkey.

By Luís F J

Oct 18, 2017

This is a very good course for the development of negotiation skills.

I recommend to every entrepreneur, because at some stage of life they will have to sell their ideas.

By Charlie Z

Sep 16, 2017

I enjoyed the interactive lessons with the Professor, and I learned quite a lot from this meaningful course. Hope more people can take this course and enjoy the process:D

By Alexandra A

Aug 25, 2015

It is amazing, very useful, interesting, intelligible course with a wide range of practical cases. I highly recommend to listen this course from the beginning to the end!

By Melik S

Oct 20, 2019

Thank you for this teaching programme. I enjoyed learning from Mr.Siedel. His teaching style with examples and understandible way was great. I enjoyed learning from him.

By Ruben M P

Sep 05, 2015

Este curso sin duda tiene un contenido muy completo, entre teoria y practica. La forma de explicar del profesor es buenisima, tiene un don de la enseñanza. ¡Felicidades!

By Alberto A U

Mar 05, 2018

Great Course. It fulfilled all my expectations as it was my 1st course in Coursera. Highly recommended to professionals who are working in Business Development like me.

By Andras N

Feb 20, 2017

This course is absolutely fantastic! I am really appreciate that I could join and finish this class.

I can recommend to everybody who want to be a successful negotiator!

By Pedro C

Sep 11, 2019

Very great course with step by step learning and examples. Mr. Siedel is a great teacher, and speaks clearly and at a great pace that allows for maximum understanding.

By Aditya V

Jun 26, 2018

Been learning many things that I can actually apply in real life !!! Its quite nice. Would recommend for people who like studying and practicing business negotiations.

By Mohammed H

Mar 24, 2018

This course helped me get a different perspective on life. Not only do I feel like a much stronger negotiator but I developed skills I was not aware I posses.

By Igor N V M

Oct 05, 2016

Prezados,

Esse foi meu primeiro curso da Universidade de Michigan, achei bem interessante a abordagem do tema, despertou-me em estudar mais sobre o assunto.

Igor Nemésio

By James N

Feb 15, 2016

Iwould to thank the entire Michigan university for the skill they drilled in me. Looking forward to another course,I better also thank Coursera for the financial aid.

By Bennady Y

Jun 12, 2017

Very Excellent Course that I recommend to everyone! An excellent Professor and a lot of very useful informations that you can practice in professional and daily life!