Back to Introduction to Neuroeconomics: How the Brain Makes Decisions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Neuroeconomics: How the Brain Makes Decisions by National Research University Higher School of Economics

Economics, psychology, and neuroscience are converging today into a unified discipline of Neuroeconomics with the ultimate aim of creating a single, general theory of human decision-making. Neuroeconomics provides biologists, economists, psychologists and social scientists with a deeper understanding of how they make their own decisions and how others decide. Neuroscience, when allied with psychology and economics, creates powerful new models to explain why we make decisions. Neurobiological mechanisms of decision-making, decisions under risk, trust and cooperation will be central issues in this course. You will be provided with the most recent evidence from brain-imaging techniques (fMRI, TMS, etc.) and introduced to the explanatory models behind them. The course does not require any prior study of economics and neuroscience; however, it might require you to study novel interdisciplinary materials. The course provides an introduction to the methodology, assumptions, and main findings of Neuroeconomics. Our students have different backgrounds; therefore, I have adapted and simplified the course to allow all students to understand the interdisciplinary content. This course will help you to start your progress in the field of Neuroeconomics and to further develop your skills during other more advanced courses and trainings in the future. For some topics, the course will also provide supplementary videos to reveal the opinions of leading experts in the field. Each module provides optional reading material. The course structure is as follows: During each video, you will have to answer some relevant questions. Your answers will not affect your final grade. At the end of each module, you must complete a quiz consisting of 15 questions. To pass the course, you must reach a satisfactory standard in all the course modules by completing all graded quizzes and the final exam. In addition to watching video lectures and taking quizzes, you will receive an invitation to join our forum. We plan to join the discussions in the forum on a weekly basis. Welcome to Neuroeconomics World! Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

DA

Feb 12, 2017

Very interesting stuff :) I couldn't wait to get started with new lessons. Would love to see a follow up course discussing more advance and complex neuroeconomics papers in the future.

JR

Apr 12, 2018

The best Neuroscience course out there for those focused on the frontal cortex and decision science. Great use of scientific evidence to illustrate what we know and what we don't know

26 - 50 of 246 Reviews for Introduction to Neuroeconomics: How the Brain Makes Decisions

By sahar n

Oct 03, 2016

A great course! It's a perfect start for anyone interested in the topic. The course offers a variety of interesting facts and researches that persuade you to get deeper and continue your studies in the field. The material is updated, comparing with the other courses I took.

By Pierre G

Nov 19, 2016

Great course if you want to understand the Decision-Making process (NeuroEconomics) ! The Professor Vasily Klucharev shows a lot of experiences to prove his affirmations, which is great. Clearly, this is just an introductory course but do it and then go on studying :-)

By desiana t

Oct 24, 2016

I have gained much more knowledge about the brain and see very interesting study about how it works and how it is applied in social game. The course is made in simple language which helps me very much who does not come from neuroscience background. Many thanks!

By Remo B

This course provides a very nice introduction to the field of Neuroeconomics. It is well structured and the theory is supported with many examples which lead to a better understanding. I can highly recommend this course to all people interested in the topic.

By Peter G

Dec 18, 2016

Extremely clear - everything is explained from original experiments, and in a logical order. This is not an economy course - instead you will learn a lot about brain and behavior using fMRI and other modern neuroscience techniques. Warmly recommended.

By Занадворова А М

Sep 20, 2019

I am interested in neuroscience in general. I think a lot about consciousness, self, personality development during infancy, etc.

This course is more economics-oriented, but it can be a source of some interesting books and ideas to dig further.

By Sebastien H

Nov 21, 2017

Great course! Well structured, easy to follow those without a neuroscience background and one of the most interesting courses I've taken in a long time. Thank you and I hope more advanced courses on this topic will be added in due course.

By Pablo I S M

Jul 29, 2017

It was a really good course. The professor was inspiring and the material given was trully useful to research more. Some weeks are hard if you, like me, hasn't a lot of background in neuroscience, but the pace is great to learn.

By Diaz A

Oct 26, 2015

One of the most interesting course I took in Coursera. Difficult because I have zero background of neuro-science, and very little of psychology, but this course drove me to look into neuro-science and psychology in more details.

By Rudy H

Apr 12, 2018

Great course. Highly recommended. The way it explains our behavior during decision making, perception and related processes through neurological basis is remarkable. Plenty of examples enough to easy understand the topics.

By Khem R

Oct 27, 2015

I highly recommend this course to anyone looking to understand Neuroeconimics. Don't be intimidated by the subject, topics are well explained and are easy enough to understand for anyone with not a whole lot of background.

By Stefano C

Nov 12, 2015

Very interesting course and very competent professor with high teaching abilities.

The only shortage were the subtitles that, most of the times, were completely wrong and confusing.

They didn’t match the professor’s speech

By Geoffrey S

Jan 11, 2016

Excellent introductory course that I enjoyed a lot. Level was good - some was easy, some requested some more intense focus. Especially the terminology and the names of all the brain regions ;-)

Geoffrey (The Netherlands)

By MARIUS F

Oct 24, 2016

Great course! It's a new way to see at a glance our brain and the connection inside of it.

Definitely, I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn something surprising = Neuroeconomics

Thank you prof. Vasily Klucharev!

By Pavel R

May 04, 2017

This is completely full view on current stage of the Neuroeconomics - from zero level of neurons actions up to social behavior of humans and groups. Many thanks to Vasiliy for his efforts to present this course here

By Román A Z F

Es un curso que me a ayudado mucho a comprender la psicología detrás de las compras y las decisiones, simplemente este curso a reafirmar el conocimiento del aparato psíquico, sus funciones y cómo funciona este.

By Wai S H

Dec 15, 2016

Good course. I learn many things about the human bias on decision making from neuroscience and evolution point of view. Especially the relation of Prospect Theory and the neuroscience and its related br

By Luiggi R

Sep 25, 2019

Excelent. A well structured course with a huge quantity of information. The videos have been made with a high quality. The homewrok tests are challenging and the learning experience is marvelous.

By Oguzhan O

Apr 28, 2020

Wonderful, thank you for this amazing journey. Very well-structured, completely interesting materials, challenging tasks and questions. I really really appreciate your efforts! Best regards

By Diya A

Feb 12, 2017

By Jaime R

By Joe B

Feb 03, 2020

I enjoyed learning some of the basics of neuroeconomics. It is an interesting subject. The content was very detailed. The website was very easy to use and organized well. Thank you.

By Valeriya M

Nov 16, 2017

Very interesting course and a very professional lecturer! Thank you for broadening my knowledge! However, I don't really see how we can apply this information to real life practices.

By sudhir

Jan 29, 2016

fantastic new topic. Despite his accent, Professor Klucharov has taught this difficult topic very nicely.

Enjoyed every moment of it and learnt so much despite being a Neurologist.

By Renee O

Jan 01, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. Therected were repetitions but I think that goes hand in hand with learning. The statistics were questionable but so is everything in Neuroscience :D