Back to Neurolinguistics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Neurolinguistics by Saint Petersburg State University

This course introduces the key principles and goals of modern neurolinguistics. Neurolinguistics is a science that incorporates methods and paradigms of linguistics and neuroscience. This course discusses the main units and organizational principles of the human nervous system that underlie our language capacity. You will learn about the neurophysiological aspects of first and second language learning, discover clinical research in speech, reading and writing disorders, and also find out about speech disorders accompanying various psychiatric conditions. The course includes information on the history of neurolinguistics, modern techniques and methods of neurolinguistic research, and also provides detailed examples of several recent studies in the field. The outline of the course Module 1 introduces you to the main ideas and history of neurolinguistics. In this module you will learn how the human brain is organized and which cortical areas provide the basis for our language capacity. It also touches upon neuroevolution and the differences between the human brain and the brains of other mammals. In Module 2 you will learn about modern methods and techniques of neurolinguistic research, such as EEG, MEG, intracranial EEG, evoked and induced potentials. Module 3 continues the discussion of neurolinguistic research methods, introducing you to the fMRI method. It also provides examples of three recent neurolinguistic studies, detailing every stage: how the experiments were planned and conducted, and how the data was analysed. Module 4 discusses how children learn their first and second languages. It also touches upon the differences in the ways monolinguals and bilinguals process linguistic information. Modules 5 and 6 deal with clinical research in neurolinguistics. In Module 5 you will learn about aphasia. We will discuss the underlying causes of this disorder, its main types and different approaches to their classification and assessment. You will also learn about linguistic models based on aphasia data. Module 6 continues the topic of clinical research in neurolinguistics. In this module you will learn about auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia, their causes and treatment. This module also discusses brain asymmetry with regards to language and dichotic listening as a means of studying brain asymmetry. Module 7 is devoted to dyslexia and its comorbidities. This module will introduce you to four different approaches to dyslexia. You will also learn what longitudinal studies can tell us about dyslexia....

MC

It was a wonderful experience. Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to learn these things online. This course is very helpful especially when you are dealing with Children.

EA
Jul 4, 2020

very informative......i ve learned a lot.......i ve liked the evidence based experience.....i loved the technics.. hope it will be a level 2 of this course

76 - 90 of 90 Reviews for Neurolinguistics

Dec 18, 2021

i

By Daniele L

Sep 2, 2020

I learned so much from all of you, professors, and I plan to make good use of all that knowledge in my (ESL) teaching. The transcripts and .pdf files helped to optimize my studies, Some improvement: I wish that the teleprompter lines/subtitles were edited in terms of English and data type, that some test questions were reviewed according to the questions I sent by the flag icon and that the resolution of the videos for download were 720p. If you are interested, I can send you the files I created from the transcript content, divided by week, and that also have my corrections, additions and hierarchical highlighting.

By Emerson S d A

Dec 31, 2021

As an EFL teacher, it has been extremely important in showing me the importance of investigating my students's needs. However, I expected a bit more of "practical" hints on how to investigate and how to deal with things such as aphasia. I guess I could say that at least, I have the very basis to read and investigate some more.

Thanks.

Emerson Silva de Almeida

By Corinna H

Apr 11, 2021

It was a really interesting course! But sometimes there wasn't an English description. Luckily I speak Spanish and French as well but I think not everyone can depend on other languages if the English description doesn't exist

By Maude L

Feb 27, 2021

I have stopped the course because unfortunately, some of the informations given by a professor were not accurate. The course may be not too bad overall but to me, this was unacceptable.

By Meidi C

Hard to understand at times but I really enjoyed the entire course. Special thanks to Professor Hugdahl.

By Felipe S

Jul 19, 2020

Engaging, challenging, and exceptionally useful for teachers and people related to education.

By Luisa P

Jun 12, 2020

All the section on schizophrenia is unnecessarily long.

By Бабкова Т

Jul 9, 2020

Ставлю такую оценку отнюдь не из-за качества и подачи материала - они на высоте. Ставлю 3, потому что при покупке не было уведомлений, что курс на английском, и даже без субтитров. Прошла первую неделю и дальше застопорилась. Деньги вернуть не успела, поэтому оценка соответствующая.

By Consuelo H

Apr 30, 2021

I dont want to finish the course and I cant give up on it!

By Thanushree K