Back to Object Oriented Programming in Java

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object Oriented Programming in Java by University of California San Diego

Welcome to our course on Object Oriented Programming in Java using data visualization. People come to this course with many different goals -- and we are really excited to work with all of you! Some of you want to be professional software developers, others want to improve your programming skills to implement that cool personal project that you’ve been thinking about, while others of you might not yet know why you’re here and are trying to figure out what this course is all about. This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science. Our goal is that by the end of this course each and every one of you feels empowered to create a Java program that’s more advanced than any you have created in the past and that is personally interesting to you. In achieving this goal you will also learn the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming, how to leverage the power of existing libraries, how to build graphical user interfaces, and how to use some core algorithms for searching and sorting data. And this course is project-based, so we’ll dive right into the project immediately! We are excited to be offering a unique course structure, designed to support learners of different backgrounds in succeeding at their own pace. The first module explains how this will work and if this course is right for you. We also recommend taking a few minutes to explore the course site. A good place to start is the navigation bar on the left. Click Course Content to see what material we’ll cover each week, as well preview the assignments you’ll need to complete to pass the course. Click Discussions to see forums where you can discuss the course material with fellow students taking the class. Be sure to introduce yourself to everyone in the Meet and Greet forum. This course should take about 6 weeks to complete. You can check out the recommended course schedule below to see a quick overview of the lessons and assignments you’ll complete each week. We’re excited you’re here learning with us. Let’s get started!...

DB

Oct 13, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

LR

Oct 14, 2015

I loved this course! The course videos and the projects sharpened my idea about some of the toughest concepts of Java and OOP. I recommend this course to anyone interested in learning OOP in Java. ☺

76 - 100 of 910 Reviews for Object Oriented Programming in Java

By Hong N

Jan 03, 2017

This is a first course that I finished in Coursera. The course is great. The core project for this course is the unfolding map. Through the project, you can learn a lot of stuff about java. The three teachers are all great. :)

By David S F G

May 04, 2017

Great course for reviewing the Java programming language. It´s challenging enough for someone who has previous knowledge of programming and Java so it can serve as a way of evaluating your knowledge and further it a bit more.

By Eduardo S P

Feb 22, 2016

A very good course with a direct application in an interesting and engaging project. The video lectures are well structured and lots of additional information is provided. I would recommend this course to all java beginners.

By Veronica V B

Mar 12, 2017

Very interesting Course and the way the instructors give the lessons are great and easy to follow. The concept challenges are also, very good, because it makes you test yourself if you really understand the concepts or not.

By Michelle F

Nov 09, 2015

The videos that aren't boring and long! This course filled in the gaps that I had after taking university classes. I don't really like the final project is peer reviewed. Your peers can prevent you from passing the course.

By M.Praveen

Mar 29, 2016

The professors handled the classes exceptionally well. I thank all of them for helping me learn something. But I felt the course a little hard as the documentations needed to be referred properly to work with the objects.

By Hadeel S

Aug 22, 2017

Excellent course with wonderful teachers. I like the way of the teaching and they answered a lot of questions that were stuck in my mind. Also, the project was interesting. Really, thank you all for this great effort.

By Omar L

Apr 01, 2017

Course structure and material were great and well-planned. Best thing about the course is the project they have you build, it really sharpens your skills and gives you ability to apply what you have learned right away.

By Andrew E

Jan 03, 2019

The focus on developing a main project with a variety of different data structures for different tasks was a great way to introduce new concepts and show their real applicability. Recommended as a second Java course.

By 钟卓昀

Jan 01, 2018

The course is great. It's very interesting doing this big project! But I think it's necessary to spend much more time on it to fully understand how everything works and to comprehensive all these magic about Java.

By Anastasiya M

Dec 26, 2015

The course is really great and the explanations are very clear! Instructors are so inspirational! I think the good idea is to develop such a project from scratch, without using given starter code. Thank you a lot!

By Xavier O

Dec 24, 2015

Great course, excellent for a programmer with beginner Java skills, and perhaps a better intermediate grasp of another language such as Python, wanting to dive a bit deeper into Java with appropriate explanations.

By Cristian A V

Oct 29, 2019

Awesome course on Java, even if it uses java 8 and PApplet, the foundations of object oriented programming are there, very well explained and with the posibilities to apply them in a cool project. Thank you UCSD

By David T

Jan 30, 2017

Very Practical and the project is quite engaging. I'm a structural engineer and thought the earthquake map project was related to my interests in seismic design and automation/visualization of pertinent data.

By Bautina E

Mar 31, 2016

I like this class. I found the answers there on many tricky programming questions such as memory allocation for objects. I will recommend this class to all my friends who is interested in computer science.

By Weng J

Oct 08, 2015

It explain knowledge in simple and concise ways. The programming project after each lesson is interesting, challenging but not too hard to solve. 5 star course! 3 teachers are all awesome. Mia is amazing!!

By Michael B

Nov 06, 2015

Very good "introduction" to Java programming. It definitely helps to be familiar with Java already and one should really be able to "read" code and deduce what it does in order to do well on the quizzes.

By Dixon B

Oct 13, 2017

By Labib M R

Oct 14, 2015

By Konstantin P

Feb 21, 2016

Enroll this course if you intend to become a programmer and need fundamental knowledge in Object Oriented Programming. Here you can study the subject and apply new things in a real curious project.

By Ogbonna C E

Aug 06, 2017

This course made me understand java concepts in an easy way, and made me realize certain internal workings in Java I haven't seen elsewhere. I love their method/process of tutoring. Awesome job!

By AKASH K S

May 31, 2017

One of the best course I have done on coursera. Everything is awesome about the course final project helped to extensively test my skill. This course is for learner with basic knowledge in java.

By Heng W W

Mar 21, 2016

It is good!!! I learnt a bit of Java beforehand but not the object oriented concept. Would definitely attend the courses by UC San Diego again as well as pay for the course when I can afford it!

By Jeffrey L

Jan 10, 2016

Outstanding course. It's readily apparent that the course developers put a lot of thought and effort into this course. The mapping example that was used throughout the course was a good choice.

By Mohamed M

Feb 18, 2019

This course is really amazing, and the instructors help you out along the way. The concepts and the programming assignments are engaging. Thanks for the USCD CS team for compiling this course.