Back to Object Oriented Programming in Java

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object Oriented Programming in Java by University of California San Diego

Welcome to our course on Object Oriented Programming in Java using data visualization. People come to this course with many different goals -- and we are really excited to work with all of you! Some of you want to be professional software developers, others want to improve your programming skills to implement that cool personal project that you’ve been thinking about, while others of you might not yet know why you’re here and are trying to figure out what this course is all about. This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science. Our goal is that by the end of this course each and every one of you feels empowered to create a Java program that’s more advanced than any you have created in the past and that is personally interesting to you. In achieving this goal you will also learn the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming, how to leverage the power of existing libraries, how to build graphical user interfaces, and how to use some core algorithms for searching and sorting data. And this course is project-based, so we’ll dive right into the project immediately! We are excited to be offering a unique course structure, designed to support learners of different backgrounds in succeeding at their own pace. The first module explains how this will work and if this course is right for you. We also recommend taking a few minutes to explore the course site. A good place to start is the navigation bar on the left. Click Course Content to see what material we’ll cover each week, as well preview the assignments you’ll need to complete to pass the course. Click Discussions to see forums where you can discuss the course material with fellow students taking the class. Be sure to introduce yourself to everyone in the Meet and Greet forum. This course should take about 6 weeks to complete. You can check out the recommended course schedule below to see a quick overview of the lessons and assignments you’ll complete each week. We’re excited you’re here learning with us. Let’s get started!...

DB
Oct 12, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

LR
Oct 13, 2015

I loved this course! The course videos and the projects sharpened my idea about some of the toughest concepts of Java and OOP. I recommend this course to anyone interested in learning OOP in Java. ☺

26 - 50 of 1,214 Reviews for Object Oriented Programming in Java

By Aleksandr A

Jan 18, 2020

Nice course! But I can only give 3 out of 5 stars, because applets are deprecated now, so the course content is outdated a bit.

By Capybas Y

Apr 24, 2020

The major part of the course is about working with applets, which are out of date and no longer supported by Java.

By David H

Jun 25, 2020

This course uses old obsolete Java technology: Java Applets. They NEED to update this course to teach UnfoldingMaps with JavaFX.

By Ralph v S

Jun 30, 2020

There seems to be downloadable code ? Can't find it. Installing Unfolding maps seems to be necessary ? There is not elaboration about this in the video's. In my opinion the course is totally off balance by explaining things like the "this"-keyword and at the same time expecting students to install things like Unfolding maps and tweaking Eclips. Very frustrating.

By Martin K

Feb 13, 2017

I signed up for this course hoping for a good introduction to OO programming and Java only to not be able to verify if I have even learned anything. Of course I can access the course material, but the fact that cannot even manually check if my answers are correct with certainty makes all of this less efficient than simply learning it by myself.

By Lee M

Oct 25, 2015

Cannot follow a single thing that they are talking about. I have prior coding experience in other languages and I still have no idea what the instructors are getting at. They all explain everything horribly and jump into huge complex things with no explanation. Worst course I have ever taken in my life.

By 김요엘

Jul 3, 2019

절대 듣지마라. 동료평가 때문에 짜증난다. 일주일 무료라고 해놓고 3일전에 다 끝내고 동료평가 기다리는데 최소 4일은 걸린다. 공짜로 듣는 사람은 일부러 매치를 못하게 하거나 하는 알고리즘이 있는듯 하다. 아니면 듣는 사람이 별로 없는 인기 없는 강의거나. 둘 중 하나겠지 ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

By Tomáš M

Mar 19, 2020

Course is outdated. things you learn are not supported in latest version of java.

By Abdul H

Sep 28, 2020

The course is outdated and boring

By Nithin R

Aug 12, 2020

reallly old

By radhika s

Dec 7, 2016

I would give additional stars if it was possible. Some prior programming experience is required (I think they already specify this as a prerequisite). That said, if you just done basic programming but never used GUI libraries before, this is THE BEST POSSIBLE INTRODUCTION to using libraries.

Must say a word about the course structure, material and the professors. They are all, yes all three of the professors, in one word: AMAZING!! Their tone is encouraging and it is a privilege learn from them.

The course structure, again 5 stars. A combination of the CORE and concept challenges cleared up any muddled up concepts in my head. So analyzing and understanding the support code was a breeze (it took me multiple attempts and umpteen reviews of the videos to get this far in the course but I am definitely more knowledgeable and competent than before I started)

The course material is really good.

I am highly motivated to complete this course and go for the next one provided by this dedicated team of fantastic teachers.

By Srinivas S

Nov 3, 2016

This was an excellent course in Java programming. My entire programming experience prior to this course was my own reading of Java basics from tutorialspoint.com. So, basically little to no experience. With this being an intermediate course, my learning curve was quite steep. But the 3 professors have done an excellent job of creating an interactive and challenging learning experience.

The lectures are engaging and on point. I love the format where they tell you an overview of the assignment ahead of the week's lectures. This way, you can associate ways of using things learnt in the lectures while you learn them.

I also loved how the assignments built up from being quite easy to very challenging over the course. Each passing week uses skills acquired from all the preceding weeks, offering a nice continuity that aided my learning. Overall, my entry into programming was made thoroughly enjoyable through this course and I'd like to thank the team that created this course for it.

By Luis V

Jan 19, 2016

Great introduction to OOP with Java. This is not a pure theoretical course, neither a entirely practical course... It is both, so the instructors present the material with a good balance between theory and practice. Part of your assignment tasks is to explore on Java classes and learn how to use their methods (functions) in your own programs, which gives you a taste of a daily programmer job. The end of course project stimulates your creativity!

Nonetheless, this course will be challenging for someone who has not been exposed to any OOP concepts before. Make sure to practice a lot and go to the discussion forums, which are a great resource for help, at any moment you need it.

By Титов П В

Sep 7, 2020

Before starting this course I was reading (not completaly) a few Java Core books and was making interactive exercises on the web.

This course turned out to be not so difficult as I thougth before starting, but it is very useful! First of all cause it bases on two helpful Libraries for Java: UnfoldingMap and Processing which give you a hand with building your own app at the end of course.

So i got perfect expirience to making my own Java application by using external Libraries and became more confident in my abilities. Thank you teachers and see you in th e next course!

By Mohammed A S

Oct 26, 2017

Very good course , really wonderful instructors , who could deliver the content in a very very professional way .Also , they could help me with the OOP concepts like inheritance and polymorphism in a great way . one more great topic that they touched on , was the algorithm part , this was so important for me .. and they made it so easy for me to understand and think in terms of proficiency and optimum solution . Thank you so much professors for this wonderful content and the professional way you handled it .

By Ayse E G

Dec 29, 2015

Excellent course. Some courses that are "object-oriented" start with simple variable declarations and they are extremely boring to work through as there is very little progress in each week. Others assume you know a lot and they are very confusing. This one is very good if you have been exposed to programming before and want to learn object oriented approach. It isn't too easy or hard. Instructors take the time to explain concepts rather than simply using them. Highly recommended.

By Tarit G

Jul 2, 2020

Excellent course! The object-oriented programming concepts are explained in very depth and also examples of how to use those are shown. Here I got a hands-on experience about how to design working software and connected different parts to make it a usable software. What I liked most is that this course had some motivational videos to keep the student motivated. I am very thankful to all the instructors, the team helped to make this course and the UC San Diego.

By Arushi G

Jul 27, 2017

This course is one of the best programming courses/resources I have used. Most will only teach syntax, especially for those at a beginner level. This was the first resource I found that took the syntax knowledge and showed me how to use that to actually create a useful application. For students at that awkward level where they have learned enough syntax to make basic small programs but can't figure out where to go from there, this course is absolutely perfect!

By Nicol�s R S D

Oct 5, 2020

Great course! I highly recommend it. Topics very well handled. Perfect evaluations, carefully thought through. The only thing that I would change, is making the pier-reviewed final part optional and non-graded, I had to wait several days to get enough reviews to get the course completed, and from experience in other moocs, peer-grading sometimes is a bigger problem than that. I already started the next course in the program, loving it so far as well! Cheers!

By Krishna Y

Mar 8, 2016

The course is insightful and intuitive. The professors have done a great job. If you are already a programmer in some other language, you might find some topics a bit primitive but the project that is at the end of the module should be a good exercise even for the experienced programmers. And, to recreate the entire project on your own would be a great exercise. It will also gear you up nicely for the next course in the specialization.

By Dong C

Dec 15, 2017

Really good stuff to learn! Java & Algorithms used to be headache to me, cuz many concepts are involved and I don't know ever how pieces of codes work together in Java. While the course itself is project-based, I do not feel tired anymore and I am really interested!! Though the project seems tough sometimes, overall it is really an excellent experience for me and I really recommend this course to all of those who struggle in Java!

By Roberto Z

Oct 21, 2015

Pefrect course for beginners like myself. Everything was really well explained but not too slow either, the way things were presented was easy to follow, but also interesting; touching subjects close to real life problems we might encounter. Last, but not the least (on contrary), lecturers were really easy to listen, they explained everything well, but the feeling wasn't too strict or overly professional. It was a joy. :)

By nick b

Sep 28, 2017

great introduction to some java and CS fundamentals (the reason I (and others probably) are taking the class). I like how the project gets you to look at real code, not "baby code" with only a car class and some type of extension of that class. Here you get to actually incorporate/use data and analyze and display it on a map. And the extension part of the project lets you explore and have fun with java and the project

By Garmastewira

Dec 20, 2015

Easy to comprehend, full of examples, a lot of challenges, excellent teachers, and everything! I love this course's programming assignments as those assignments show me directly the "real" application of each week's topic.

The most extremely valuable thing that I got from this course is that I now can read documentation properly. I thought that reading documentation is tedious, but now I know that it is very fundamental.

By Markos M T

Jul 6, 2020

This course is an amazing introduction to Java programming, OOP and using libraries. It was fulfilling both on the practical and theoretical side. One of the amazing things the instructors did was emphasizing on the importance of using documentation and available libraries throughout the course project and how this would make us able to build amazing software simply without re-inventing the wheel.