Back to Object Oriented Programming in Java

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object Oriented Programming in Java by University of California San Diego

Welcome to our course on Object Oriented Programming in Java using data visualization. People come to this course with many different goals -- and we are really excited to work with all of you! Some of you want to be professional software developers, others want to improve your programming skills to implement that cool personal project that you’ve been thinking about, while others of you might not yet know why you’re here and are trying to figure out what this course is all about. This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science. Our goal is that by the end of this course each and every one of you feels empowered to create a Java program that’s more advanced than any you have created in the past and that is personally interesting to you. In achieving this goal you will also learn the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming, how to leverage the power of existing libraries, how to build graphical user interfaces, and how to use some core algorithms for searching and sorting data. And this course is project-based, so we’ll dive right into the project immediately! We are excited to be offering a unique course structure, designed to support learners of different backgrounds in succeeding at their own pace. The first module explains how this will work and if this course is right for you. We also recommend taking a few minutes to explore the course site. A good place to start is the navigation bar on the left. Click Course Content to see what material we’ll cover each week, as well preview the assignments you’ll need to complete to pass the course. Click Discussions to see forums where you can discuss the course material with fellow students taking the class. Be sure to introduce yourself to everyone in the Meet and Greet forum. This course should take about 6 weeks to complete. You can check out the recommended course schedule below to see a quick overview of the lessons and assignments you’ll complete each week. We’re excited you’re here learning with us. Let’s get started!...

DB

Oct 13, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

LR

Oct 14, 2015

I loved this course! The course videos and the projects sharpened my idea about some of the toughest concepts of Java and OOP. I recommend this course to anyone interested in learning OOP in Java. ☺

851 - 875 of 882 Reviews for Object Oriented Programming in Java

By Abhishek K

May 18, 2016

The explaining part could have been better.

By Nabil A B G

Jan 01, 2016

If you are a beginner in OO not recommend .

By Kirill E

Jan 20, 2016

Peer reviews was unfair. It's must be any methods to exclude inadequate learners from reviewing. Blacklists is only one way to stop them now.

By Christian A H

Apr 30, 2016

pretty good but expected more of helping writing own programs

By Abhishek K

Sep 03, 2017

Good course

By Vlad

Jan 21, 2016

The course is very good explained. However the practice relies a lot in code that cannot be explained like applets or mapping components... Sometimes you need more time to go through the documentation of a graphic library that you will never use again than in doing the actual assignment's core thing.

By Raffaele R

Mar 15, 2016

Considering the contents of the second and third course, this was too basic.

By Orlando C

Mar 08, 2018

It was way too hard for me and I even did the previous 2 courses in the specialization. I saw many new functions and understanding the logic of them slowed me down. A particular topic for me that should be a separate item in the course is dealing with interactivity. A mini project, simple, just for learning how mouse clicks and hovers work would be fine.

By Hans E G

Oct 25, 2017

There should be more assignments, so learners like me can get the information in a more thorough way. The jingle at the beginning of the core videos are much louder than the rest of the video and gets annoying pretty quick. The audio and video quality is poor and sometimes differentiates from video to video. The concepts introduced in this course are great, but I just wished there were some assignments to build the modules, so inexperienced learners like me could grasp the new concepts easier and write more code. I did do the Duke courses beforehand so I had high expectations from this course.

By YOUNGJUN Y

Aug 29, 2017

ver

By Shivam P

Oct 01, 2018

I have yet not completed the course and was stuck in mid-way at one question. I need to complete and get the certificate as I need to submit as MOOCS in my college. Please let me complete the course. I am already done with 98%. Please don't charge for that course.

By Aravind V

Jun 04, 2019

The course was good. But I felt the introduction of the map APIs along with the event handling kind of took away the learning towards the API rather than the actual topic. I felt somehow it was a diversion with its own learning curve. Other wise the course is good overall.

By Alex S

Dec 13, 2018

Difficult to follow. Not as good as the Duke University courses where the professors explain in great depth, and detail. The good about the course is that they do give you the recourses to learn Object Oriented Programming in Java

By Bruno M

Oct 12, 2015

If you think this is an introduction to Java programming language you are wrong.What do you want? Do you want teach us to use Processing or teach us to program in Java?

By Jason C

Oct 25, 2015

While the material is relevant, the exercises required too much specific knowledge that was not discussed in lecture. For an experienced programmer, most of the exercises were easy, but I admit I had to look ahead on two of the projects because the instructions were too lacking. The final project was too open ended and made me not want to finish this course.

Overall, I would not recommend this course.

By Swati J

Mar 01, 2016

The peer review assignment part is really

useless.

By Heaven H

Oct 12, 2015

The lectures were too wordy and the lecturers tripped over their words too often (which wouldn't have made it so difficult to listen if the lectures hadn't been so wordy!). There was too much focus on high-level details of the course project and too little attention paid to technical details. This rendered the lectures simplistic, boring, and sometimes a waste of time. This felt like an introductory level course, made more difficult through poor teaching.

Also, the slick web interface was slightly difficult to navigate in comparison to other Coursera courses.

By taha

Feb 16, 2017

One suggestion i give to you that, please level of difficulty increase in a way that the learner not face to much thing in a single assignment. So, create assignment like that learner learn less thing but accurately. For example in this assignment you only build a relations between classes and marker on a map for only CityMarkerMap.java class and in the next module you implement LandMarker.java and so on. So, please this is my request in the future make assignments in a way that the Learner less thing but efficiently and accurately.

By Anqi W

Aug 02, 2016

too fancy and the structure is not very clear. Not very much learned.

By Kerstin K

May 23, 2017

Came from the predecessor specialization by Duke, which was really great. So I had high expectations for this course.

But this course introduces not much new (only some library using), no new programming concepts. I also didn't like the programming assignments (one "big" project). They were not challenging at all (much too easy), and also not really interesting (repetition and expansion of an assignment at Dukes). You are also not writing that much code, because you get too much from them, where you just have to add a little here and there.

Liked, that they divided the videos into different stages (core, concept challenge, when I struggled), so you only have to watch the videos, that you find necessary.

I hope the next course will be more interesting and challenging.

By Krishna K

Jul 01, 2019

Compared to the Duke University classes, I think this is a low quality course. I managed to get most of the assignments done in a short time. I don't like the fact that the classes are heavily dependent on starting with eclipse. I would have preferred very much if the class would have showed you how to set everything up independent of any IDE's. I would have preferred to write programs and debug them in my editor of choice.

Also, the course is unnecessarily spread out for the actual amount it teaches. I think the entire course can be summarized in two weeks of materials. I would say that only week4-5-6 are important to understanding OOP.

While the videos are good, some sections are pointless. I don't really care for the videos that talk about why someone had difficulty with a particular topic. I DO like the videos that walks through some examples/scenarios. They aided in my understanding.

I don't think the assignments are well designed. While you can follow through them, I don't think they were as good as the Duke courses. (which are course 1 and 2 of the OOP Java specialization. This course is course 3).

I was not impressed with this course. But I did learn some OOP concepts. I don't think this course does a good job on teaching you OOprogramming or how to think about designing projects using Objects.

By Morteza T

Jul 22, 2019

This course is too basic and appropriate for the beginners.

By Mohamed E A

Mar 19, 2016

in the beginning of the course i thought i'll get a good experience as usual on coursera, but i was wrong ...

a lot of things >> to be introduced in next course

confusing data types & working with things i don't know about it.

you've said that, anyone with basics of programming could pass this course and after 6 months i couldn't.

please be sure about the prerequisites next time.

By Morris N

Oct 23, 2016

Instructors are not to be found.

By Paulo S S Q

Sep 25, 2015

just an google maps applet, do not explain java itself.