Back to Object Oriented Programming in Java

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object Oriented Programming in Java by University of California San Diego

Welcome to our course on Object Oriented Programming in Java using data visualization. People come to this course with many different goals -- and we are really excited to work with all of you! Some of you want to be professional software developers, others want to improve your programming skills to implement that cool personal project that you’ve been thinking about, while others of you might not yet know why you’re here and are trying to figure out what this course is all about. This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science. Our goal is that by the end of this course each and every one of you feels empowered to create a Java program that’s more advanced than any you have created in the past and that is personally interesting to you. In achieving this goal you will also learn the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming, how to leverage the power of existing libraries, how to build graphical user interfaces, and how to use some core algorithms for searching and sorting data. And this course is project-based, so we’ll dive right into the project immediately! We are excited to be offering a unique course structure, designed to support learners of different backgrounds in succeeding at their own pace. The first module explains how this will work and if this course is right for you. We also recommend taking a few minutes to explore the course site. A good place to start is the navigation bar on the left. Click Course Content to see what material we’ll cover each week, as well preview the assignments you’ll need to complete to pass the course. Click Discussions to see forums where you can discuss the course material with fellow students taking the class. Be sure to introduce yourself to everyone in the Meet and Greet forum. This course should take about 6 weeks to complete. You can check out the recommended course schedule below to see a quick overview of the lessons and assignments you’ll complete each week. We’re excited you’re here learning with us. Let’s get started!...

DB
Oct 12, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

LR
Oct 13, 2015

I loved this course! The course videos and the projects sharpened my idea about some of the toughest concepts of Java and OOP. I recommend this course to anyone interested in learning OOP in Java. ☺

101 - 125 of 1,220 Reviews for Object Oriented Programming in Java

By Kerrie H T

Jun 1, 2020

I enjoyed taking this course because it's been a long time since I used OOP with C++. The instruction was great, but as a teacher, I really appreciated that the lecture videos were differentiated for different levels of expertise.

By Edwin S

Nov 12, 2016

Super!

Real life situations are used to explain OO principles. Although real life is complex the course manages to simplify it and make it understandable, so OO principles are learned step by step.

Programming assignments are fun!

By Joao A

Mar 12, 2016

Very good series for learning Java and OO Principles. The big application approach is very interesting as we can see the whole picture even when we know little yet. The interviews with software engineers are very enlightening.

By Kamil P

Dec 22, 2015

University of California did a great job!

Thank you guys!

Great course, concept challenges are very helpful and surprisingly one additional week for finishing up was wonderful idea - it helped me to finish last assignment on time.

By Parag B

May 18, 2018

A very nice course to learn Java. Taking it a little further than just learning simple basics and loops. The instructors are good. Making all concepts seem simple. You will test the simplicity during the assignments though!

By Hong N

Jan 3, 2017

This is a first course that I finished in Coursera. The course is great. The core project for this course is the unfolding map. Through the project, you can learn a lot of stuff about java. The three teachers are all great. :)

By David S F G

May 4, 2017

Great course for reviewing the Java programming language. It´s challenging enough for someone who has previous knowledge of programming and Java so it can serve as a way of evaluating your knowledge and further it a bit more.

By Eduardo S P

Feb 22, 2016

A very good course with a direct application in an interesting and engaging project. The video lectures are well structured and lots of additional information is provided. I would recommend this course to all java beginners.

By Veronica V B

Mar 12, 2017

Very interesting Course and the way the instructors give the lessons are great and easy to follow. The concept challenges are also, very good, because it makes you test yourself if you really understand the concepts or not.

By Michelle F

Nov 8, 2015

The videos that aren't boring and long! This course filled in the gaps that I had after taking university classes. I don't really like the final project is peer reviewed. Your peers can prevent you from passing the course.

By Praveen M

Mar 29, 2016

The professors handled the classes exceptionally well. I thank all of them for helping me learn something. But I felt the course a little hard as the documentations needed to be referred properly to work with the objects.

By Mcvean S

Jun 5, 2020

An amazing experience !! From the foundations of Object Oriented Programming to creating an interactive GUI, this course has got it covered !! Recommended for people having at least basic knowledge of Java programming.

By Hadeel S

Aug 22, 2017

Excellent course with wonderful teachers. I like the way of the teaching and they answered a lot of questions that were stuck in my mind. Also, the project was interesting. Really, thank you all for this great effort.

By Omar L

Apr 1, 2017

Course structure and material were great and well-planned. Best thing about the course is the project they have you build, it really sharpens your skills and gives you ability to apply what you have learned right away.

By Andrew E

Jan 3, 2019

The focus on developing a main project with a variety of different data structures for different tasks was a great way to introduce new concepts and show their real applicability. Recommended as a second Java course.

By Frantisek J

Mar 30, 2020

I especially liked that I was extending existing given code. This situation happens a log in the work. Besides that the lessons, explanations and definition of tasks was very clear and easy to comprehend. Thank you.

By Eduardo N

Apr 10, 2020

Well thought subject matter by some of the best on-line instructors at the University of California San Diego. Challenging at times but very rewarding! What a great learning experience. Thank you very very much!

By 钟卓昀

Dec 31, 2017

The course is great. It's very interesting doing this big project! But I think it's necessary to spend much more time on it to fully understand how everything works and to comprehensive all these magic about Java.

By Anastasiya M

Dec 26, 2015

The course is really great and the explanations are very clear! Instructors are so inspirational! I think the good idea is to develop such a project from scratch, without using given starter code. Thank you a lot!

By Xavier O

Dec 23, 2015

Great course, excellent for a programmer with beginner Java skills, and perhaps a better intermediate grasp of another language such as Python, wanting to dive a bit deeper into Java with appropriate explanations.

By naikaniruddha m

Jun 10, 2020

A good start course! Enjoyed a lot! All concepts of OOP are very clearly taught! I liked the way instructors provided Concept Challenge questions.. Understanding compiler and run time rules was quite interesting!

By Cristian A V

Oct 29, 2019

Awesome course on Java, even if it uses java 8 and PApplet, the foundations of object oriented programming are there, very well explained and with the posibilities to apply them in a cool project. Thank you UCSD

By David T

Jan 30, 2017

Very Practical and the project is quite engaging. I'm a structural engineer and thought the earthquake map project was related to my interests in seismic design and automation/visualization of pertinent data.

By YASHAS R N

Jun 29, 2020

Teachers were able to explain well and go through all common mistakes that normal programmers do while learning java. As a whole it was really a good course.I will surely plan to take up next course on java

By Vitalii V

Apr 17, 2020

Very good course to understand concepts of OOP, but I guess using Java as the enviorment to implement GUI is not a good idea due to the usage of virtual machine. But it was fun and thanks for the knowledge!