Back to Object Oriented Programming in Java

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Object Oriented Programming in Java by University of California San Diego

Welcome to our course on Object Oriented Programming in Java using data visualization. People come to this course with many different goals -- and we are really excited to work with all of you! Some of you want to be professional software developers, others want to improve your programming skills to implement that cool personal project that you’ve been thinking about, while others of you might not yet know why you’re here and are trying to figure out what this course is all about. This is an intermediate Java course. We recommend this course to learners who have previous experience in software development or a background in computer science. Our goal is that by the end of this course each and every one of you feels empowered to create a Java program that’s more advanced than any you have created in the past and that is personally interesting to you. In achieving this goal you will also learn the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming, how to leverage the power of existing libraries, how to build graphical user interfaces, and how to use some core algorithms for searching and sorting data. And this course is project-based, so we’ll dive right into the project immediately! We are excited to be offering a unique course structure, designed to support learners of different backgrounds in succeeding at their own pace. The first module explains how this will work and if this course is right for you. We also recommend taking a few minutes to explore the course site. A good place to start is the navigation bar on the left. Click Course Content to see what material we’ll cover each week, as well preview the assignments you’ll need to complete to pass the course. Click Discussions to see forums where you can discuss the course material with fellow students taking the class. Be sure to introduce yourself to everyone in the Meet and Greet forum. This course should take about 6 weeks to complete. You can check out the recommended course schedule below to see a quick overview of the lessons and assignments you’ll complete each week. We’re excited you’re here learning with us. Let’s get started!...

DB

Oct 13, 2017

Great into to Java, instructors have clearly put thought in to the format with the choose your own learning style videos, and additional coverage where it may be needed. These have been very helpful.

LR

Oct 14, 2015

I loved this course! The course videos and the projects sharpened my idea about some of the toughest concepts of Java and OOP. I recommend this course to anyone interested in learning OOP in Java. ☺

1076 - 1100 of 1,128 Reviews for Object Oriented Programming in Java

By ASHAR K

Jun 11, 2017

great

By Biradar v m

good

By Ritesh U

May 06, 2020

nice

By Priya V

Apr 11, 2019

gud

By Christopher W

Apr 12, 2020

Overall it was a neat course and I do feel I learned a lot. A lot of thought went into the design of the course and I like a lot of the different types of videos, e.g. "concept challenge," "when I struggled." The earthquake project was really neat and a fun way to introduce concepts like inheritance and polymorphism, among others.

It does feel like the content is a bit dated, though. I had to install a much earlier version of Java to even get it to run. I'm not sure how useful learning about some of the specific libraries will be in the future, but it was useful to get used to the concept of going to documentation to see how to interact with an API, so not a total loss on that front.

It seemed a bit heavy on lecture and not so much interactivity along the way until the programming assignment.

I love the concept of the peer reviewed assignment, but with not many people going through together, your stuff sits out there for days waiting to be graded.

The forums are a ghost town.

By Hans E G

Oct 25, 2017

There should be more assignments, so learners like me can get the information in a more thorough way. The jingle at the beginning of the core videos are much louder than the rest of the video and gets annoying pretty quick. The audio and video quality is poor and sometimes differentiates from video to video. The concepts introduced in this course are great, but I just wished there were some assignments to build the modules, so inexperienced learners like me could grasp the new concepts easier and write more code. I did do the Duke courses beforehand so I had high expectations from this course.

By Juan V A

The course is an introduction to programming, and also to event-driven programming.

The good thing about it is that, despite most introductory courses will start with CLI applications, this course jumps you into developing a GUI application with map-based information, which is really cool.

However, I found that explanations lack some background, some topics are explained quite fast while others are barely explained.

By Orlando C

Mar 08, 2018

It was way too hard for me and I even did the previous 2 courses in the specialization. I saw many new functions and understanding the logic of them slowed me down. A particular topic for me that should be a separate item in the course is dealing with interactivity. A mini project, simple, just for learning how mouse clicks and hovers work would be fine.

By Cristian R S

Mar 01, 2017

I expected much more in this course. In my point of view, a very long time was spent to learn how to draw something in the screen. I thought this course would be focused in Object Oriented Programming and all about the best practices, why not? But it didn't, sometimes was very hard to go on with this. Anyway, thank you all.

By Vlad

Jan 21, 2016

The course is very good explained. However the practice relies a lot in code that cannot be explained like applets or mapping components... Sometimes you need more time to go through the documentation of a graphic library that you will never use again than in doing the actual assignment's core thing.

By Aravind V

Jun 04, 2019

The course was good. But I felt the introduction of the map APIs along with the event handling kind of took away the learning towards the API rather than the actual topic. I felt somehow it was a diversion with its own learning curve. Other wise the course is good overall.

By Shivam P

Oct 01, 2018

I have yet not completed the course and was stuck in mid-way at one question. I need to complete and get the certificate as I need to submit as MOOCS in my college. Please let me complete the course. I am already done with 98%. Please don't charge for that course.

By MARIUS C B

Jul 17, 2018

I had really big issues with the GUI since I couldn't figure out how to set ECLIPSE / Video card driver to display correctly my GUI...

Overall, the teachers were great and the courses awesome!

there is a lot of new info and I had fun coding!

Thank you!

By bws

Mar 28, 2020

Although this course was well-designed, the content has been out-of-date. Most of companies need programmers to design web-page not GUI. And the Applet has been dead, don't waste your time on it plz.

By Kirill E

Jan 20, 2016

Peer reviews was unfair. It's must be any methods to exclude inadequate learners from reviewing. Blacklists is only one way to stop them now.

By Takle R M

Aug 01, 2020

Everything is fine but in final assignment we face lots of difficulty to submission.

So my humble request is to resolve this issue.

By MOHAMMAD H

Jul 17, 2020

the scope of explanation is sometimes tight and the final assignments need you to learn by your self from outside resources

By Dhumil A

Aug 10, 2016

Very basic Course. It involves a lot of GUI Concepts which may not be useful for general programmers.

By Sree P K D

Apr 29, 2016

coordination is required between the lectures and the assignments so a to fill any gaps

By Raffaele R

Mar 15, 2016

Considering the contents of the second and third course, this was too basic.

By Artyom V

Sep 20, 2015

Very confusing course for those who have no previous experience in Java.

By Christian A H

Apr 30, 2016

pretty good but expected more of helping writing own programs

By Unnar T B

Dec 05, 2015

Not a difficult course but teaches you much about Java.

By Chintan

Oct 22, 2015

Decent Introductory course for someone who is a newbie.

By Abhishek K

May 18, 2016

The explaining part could have been better.