This online course opportunity is made possible through a joint partnership with University of Virginia School of Medicine (UVASOM) and Nursing (SON) and the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP), Data 2000 sponsor for this MAT waiver training. This content was created by the AAAP and has been used with permission. This course is designed to highlight important issues affecting prescribing clinicians regarding the new requirements and guidelines in opioid prescribing and management for acute and chronic pain management. The course consists of 8 individual sessions of the required 8 hours of content for physicians who wish to apply for a waiver to prescribe buprenorphine for the treatment of opioid use disorders. Sessions include a non-graded pre assessment and 8 recorded audio sessions with graded post-module questions the total of which must be completed with 80% accuracy. Some modules contain a case study component. A certification of completion will be issued for successful completion of the entire training. Students who successfully complete the course during their educational program can apply for their waiver when they obtain their full DEA license.
Physician/Student Opioid Use Disorder Medication Assisted Treatment Waiver TrainingUniversity of Virginia
About this Course
University of Virginia
A premier institution of higher education, The University of Virginia offers outstanding academics, world-class faculty, and an inspiring, supportive environment. Founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819, the University is guided by his vision of discovery, innovation, and development of the full potential of students from all walks of life. Through these courses, global learners have an opportunity to study with renowned scholars and thought leaders.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will I have access to the lectures and assignments?
Access to lectures and assignments depends on your type of enrollment. If you take a course in audit mode, you will be able to see most course materials for free. To access graded assignments and to earn a Certificate, you will need to purchase the Certificate experience, during or after your audit. If you don't see the audit option:
- The course may not offer an audit option. You can try a Free Trial instead, or apply for Financial Aid.
- The course may offer 'Full Course, No Certificate' instead. This option lets you see all course materials, submit required assessments, and get a final grade. This also means that you will not be able to purchase a Certificate experience.
What will I get if I purchase the Certificate?
When you purchase a Certificate you get access to all course materials, including graded assignments. Upon completing the course, your electronic Certificate will be added to your Accomplishments page - from there, you can print your Certificate or add it to your LinkedIn profile. If you only want to read and view the course content, you can audit the course for free.
Is financial aid available?
Yes, Coursera provides financial aid to learners who cannot afford the fee. Apply for it by clicking on the Financial Aid link beneath the "Enroll" button on the left. You’ll be prompted to complete an application and will be notified if you are approved. Learn more.
What is the time frame for this course?
During the period March 1, 2020 through September 29, 2022, participants must read the learning objectives and faculty disclosures watch the videos, take the post-module test passing with 80% accuracy, then complete an evaluation.
How do I claim credit for this course?
During the period March 1, 2020 through September 29, 2022, participants must:
1. Read the learning objectives and disclosures
2. Take the pre-course self-assessment
3. Watch the assigned videos
4. Complete the post-module questions with 80% accuracy (learnerswill have an unlimited numberof attempts to successfully complete the questions)
5. Upon completion of all modules and a passing grade of 80%, learners will be emailed instructions on how to complete an evaluation
6. Complete theEvaluation to rate the courseand to recordyour participation; your credit certificate will be available immediately to print for your records
7. You may view or print yourcertificate at any time from www.cmevillage.com; records are kept for a total of six (6) years
What is the responsibility of the learner in this course?
Participants have an implied responsibility to use the newly acquired information to enhance patient outcomes and their own professional development. The information presented in this activity is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed or suggested in this activity should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of their patient's conditions and possible contraindications and/or dangers in use, review of any applicable manufacturer's product information, and comparison with recommendations of other authorities.
More questions? Visit the Learner Help Center.