Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

DC
Jun 6, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, first course I have taken in this area of study. The course has given me an understanding of the artists covered and can't wait to see the artists paintings in person.

76 - 100 of 527 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Plácida

Aug 14, 2017

This course has provided the opportunity of knowing better each renown artists from Abstract Expressionism in United States. I've learnt in depth and discovered other personalities I've ever seen throughout my degree in Art History. The contents are actually instructive and teaching. Hope to enroll in more courses like that in a soon future. Congratulations!

By Donna R

Apr 24, 2020

I have taken and completed a couple of classes and others are in process. That said, this was my very favorite course that I looked forward to each day. I would like to take it again.

Cory is an amazing instructor and very inspiring. I recommend this course to everyone I know and it is especially good for frustrated artists that simply need a jump start.

By Claudia D

Jan 28, 2019

Course is outstanding. Very well presented and demonstrated by the instructor, pacing is excellent (a little video, a little reading, a quiz) and hugely informative. Time spent was well worth it. Can't wait to travel to NY and see the paintings in person. Would recommend this course to anyone interested in the subject. I took the non-painting option.

By David C

Sep 11, 2017

I enjoyed taking this course. I didn't know a lot about abstract art before going into it, and it was full of great learning. Getting to try the techniques too was a lot of fun and gave me an appreciation for how hard it is to make something look so easy.

Corey D'Augustine is a great teacher. He has a great style, and makes everything feel approachable.

By Cristi Z

The course of Postwar Abstract Painting offers in depth knowledge about the New York School artists, their techniques, material understanding through videos, and articles from the artists. I thought I knew these seven New York School artists but this course has further my knowledge about the time period and meaning of the art created by these artists.

By Houssam E H

Dec 31, 2017

i would like to give special thanks for the Moma museum Volkswagen and all the team behind the camera,for letting this hapend,the language is so easy to understand, and i had that chance to get to know all these artists and their technics, i would like to learn more and master my studies is posible

you guys are mazing

best regards, Houssam HAFDI.

By brenda g

May 30, 2019

Provided that you like abstract painting, this course will give you insights in abstract painting techniques and work of art that you can use yourself, while making or enjoying art. The demos are great, and never give you the feeling that you cannot do such a thing (but if you do the studio exercises, you'll discover that it's not that easy...).

By Sally M

Jun 29, 2020

I learnt a great deal from this course and thoroughly enjoyed it. These artists have always impressed me but now with more knowledge of their techniques and processes I feel armed to use it in my own work. I have already recommended the course to a friend and hope they will join up. Thank you for a very well run and interesting time.

By Marjorie B

Jan 11, 2019

This course provided an excellent overview of the selected artists, unique explanations of the artwork by museum professionals, and great studio assignments to paint along with. I had so much fun learning and painting! If you are looking for increased art appreciation or some inspiration in the studio, I would highly recommend this course!

By Fay v B

Dec 29, 2020

I very much enjoyed this course, as art history is combined with making art yourself. Showing which techniques the artists used, helps to understand their process. Furthermore, the teacher explains very enthusiastically and the information you are given is really interesting and gives you a deeper insight into the artists and their process.

By Jane W

Nov 13, 2020

I learned much about artists in the postwar period. I also learned to appreciate abstract painting, and I was fascinated to watch the studio lessons. I did not participate, but still enjoyed watching the process. It reminded me of the days in college, back in the 70s, when I would hang out at my sister's studio and watch her as she worked.

By Nora A

Feb 26, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed taking this course. I was only familiar with one artist, Jackson Pollack. came to admire all the artists, as they faced various "life" challenges, and put their energy, pain, and souls into their paintings They overcame so mucThe course was very informative and helped me learn about various painting techniques,

By Nora R

Jul 2, 2020

Excellent course any way you see it. I learnt a lot fantastically motivated by instructor Corey DAugustine and the course contents. High-quality information. I also enjoyed In the Studio painting exercise very much, had a lot of fun trying to paint like the artists seen. Thank you so much to MoMA for making this course possible

By Helen C

Aug 6, 2019

A wonderful course. Corey D’Augustine is a captivating teacher whether hands-on in the studio or discussing artworks in the gallery. I learned so much, not just about art but about the artists and social history of the time that shaped their self-expression. It also illuminated my own motivation for making art. Highly recommend.

By Anita g

Aug 20, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course , as I came know the process , techniques , and concept building of great masters. Corey is a wonderful instructor , going into every small detail ,Ihad watched his videos on you tube before the course also ,. I learnt a lot , the course is very well planned , and gives a lot of flexibility too.

By Steven R

Jul 23, 2020

Corey D Augustine an excellent teacher especially considering my minimal layperson knxwledge. Made it very interesting by talking about the Different Strokes each artist takes and why they do it as well as the different mixes of paint and the reasons for it. Could go on and on.

Definitely will be taking more courses from MoMA

By Alberto A

Jun 8, 2020

Thank you!

I would like to know about this course some years ago, because it was really what I needed.

Excellent explanations about technics of painting. Seven different artists!

Excellent videos of curators.

Good documents to read.

Unhappy the platform online is not quite friendly sometimes failing or giving wrong messages.

By Márcia V d M

Jun 19, 2017

The course was so pleasant and so instructive!! I want to thank you all for turning this course into a wonderful experience! And I hope to meet again the instructor Corey D’Augustine, who had turned the classes very simple, very easy to understand! Please, give us another course about other movements and its artists!!!

By Sanchari D

Sep 7, 2020

This course is a fantastic foundation towards understanding the process and the philosophy of Abstract Expressionism in depth in only 8 weeks. Precisely structured, so that students won't feel overwhelmed with all the informations and articles. Course instructor Core D'Augustine is just amazing , I'm a big fan of him.

By Zeta

Apr 7, 2020

The course is incredibly interesting. The length is just about right. It is very informative in terms of the artists' techniques, materials and objectives. I truly enjoyed it and I highly recommend it. One shall look at a painting with brand new eyes after attending this course. Thank you all for making this possible.

By J. K

Jun 17, 2019

This was a fantastic course. It's my first painting course and it made me fall in love with painting. And what a great way to learn about art! I won't forget any of these artists now that I have labored over canvases trying to emulate their techniques. My only suggestion is to add Norman Lewis to the mix of artists.

By Alison C

Feb 22, 2018

I really enjoyed this course! It was engaging; the assignments were challenging enough to need some work and stimulate thinking, but not so hard to be a deterrent to completion. The mix of theory and practical work was perfect too. I found myself looking forward to each module more and more as the course progressed.

By Valentina K

Apr 24, 2020

The course was fantastic! I want all my future courses to be like this one! Corey D'Augustine is a superb instructor, smoothly explains all topics. The course exceeded my expectations - I've never had so much fun learning something. A perfect mixture of practical advice and art history. I learned a lot! Thank you!

By Kathleen C

Jun 12, 2020

I really enjoyed the video's by Corey showing the artist's materials and painting techniques as well as the selected reading material from Moma's archives. This is the first course I have taken for art online. I found the subject matter well presented and the interaction online totally accessible and informative.

By Marina L

Jul 15, 2018

There is the best course , I have ever had here , on Coursera.Curator is extremely professional . It was a brilliant idea to show us how these artists worked. No doubt that they owned the artistry of painting than artist of Renaissance or impressionists . In additional there are a lot of comments by MOMMA experts