Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

AN
May 22, 2021

Excellent. The course was very educational, extremely well put together and Corey´s instruction was excellent. One really needed to put time and effort into it but is worth every second of time spend.

DB
Jul 25, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

126 - 150 of 552 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By Sreshta

Jun 15, 2020

This was an excellent course packed with information, examples, insights and resources! What a great way to begin my online learning on Art! A big thank you to Corey d'Augustine and MoMA for such well thought through course content that helps further online learning in a meaningful manner.

By lorna z f

Jul 17, 2017

Excellent! Not boring at all. Plenty of well done reading materials and interesting links. My favorite part - "In the studio", I think I learned a lot and got motivation to do more.

Curators' and Corey's videos are informative, professional, involving. I would highly recommend this course.

By Natalia F

Jul 3, 2021

It was the most exciting and inspirational course what I took on Coursera. This course opened my eyes not just on the abstract art and artists ,- it opened my eyes on my own work and freed my mind. I feel great appreciation to the lectures of Cory D'Augustine and the materials provided.

By N.G.S. P

Jul 1, 2017

This course has been extremely helpful to me. I am a fresher in painting and wanted to learn more about the various artists of modern art and explore various painting materials and techniques.

This is really an amazing course! Thank you for all your effort in making this course for us.

By lucy g

Apr 15, 2017

Thank you for a very well organized course, with Corey who did a brilliant job of demonstrating a wide variety of techniques and discussing in depth the artists featured. He is so knowledgeable and any future courses he and MOMA offers will have me as a student. A thousand thanks.

By Hilary L

Nov 2, 2018

I loved this course. Full of content, knowledge and invaluable technical insight, it has helped broaden my perspective of this era immensely, whilst positively contributing to my own artistic and creative journey. Thank you MOMA and to Corey, who really does a fantastic job.

By Carol P

Oct 17, 2017

Not just informative with regard to the New York School of Abstract Expressionists, this course is replete with lots of studio fun! Expertly taught by Cory D' Augustine, one will learn the techniques and methods of the members of this dynamic and innovative group of painters.

By Jennifer G

Aug 14, 2017

The In The Studio: Materials and Technique portion was most helpful in understanding the work of the artists and gave me a greater appreciation of their pieces. Overall, the course has taught me how to look deeper at abstract painting and give it more than a quizzical glance.

By SHRUTI L T

Dec 2, 2019

I learnt about the birth of Abstract Expressionism as well as gained an understanding about the artists behind it. It changed my perception regarding the individuality of the artistic process, and how an artwork can silently reveal the inticasies of the mind that created it.

By steve m

Aug 21, 2020

Great course! Great instructor! This course helped me to look at paintings a little more closely.. Only eight weeks, but you have a chance to learn so much. If you have time to do the additional (optional) reading, you can learn even more. Fantastic experience, Thank you!

By Anne G

Jun 13, 2020

This course was highly valuable and relatable. The combination of critical and historical information along with the studio practice sessions gave great insight into the artmaking practice of the selected artists. Corey D'Augustine's knowledge and skill were impressive.

By Almudena A V

Jan 25, 2021

A very interesting course for those who start studying contemporary art. In my case, what I liked the most is knowing first-hand the artist techniques with the examples shown in the videos, since they are details that historians know theoretically, but not practically.

By Gul-e-Zahra H

Jun 13, 2020

It was great to Join MoMA's Post War Abstract Paintings course. i have gained a lot of knowledge of how artists work and their technique along with their philosophy behind their artwork. It will help me to incorporate my learning from this course in my thesis research.

By alissa c

Jul 18, 2017

An amazing course about difficult art. I loved every minute, even when I was bored. NO, really! I found out a lot about how little I knew. And a great deal about technique....I'm going to have to bookmark some of the films, in case I need to find out "What would X do?"

By Angela O

May 22, 2020

I not only Learned a lot in this course I enjoyed in full. The practices, the videos, and the readings made this course an amazing experience full of knowledge and creativity. I thanks to the professor and all of the people that made this possible. Was a great course.

By pedro g w

May 15, 2020

A complete course. I have learnt many skills to apply in my paintings, revealing how important is the previous proccess to create a painting, thanks to Corey for his closed and friendly way to teach, incluiding the videos, books, interwiews and information available.

By Valerie S

Apr 30, 2021

I completely and totally loved everything about this course. The instructor is excellent and very thorough explaining the studio projects. The insight and information on the artist’s that we studied was very well presented. Thank you for such a fantastic experience!

By Jodi T

Jun 8, 2020

This was a great course to take during a quarantine. Not only did I gain an understanding and appreciation of paintings I would normally spend 5 or 10 seconds on, I also learned the processes of how they created their masterpieces. I highly recommend this course.

By JAUNEAU L

May 23, 2020

Excellent cours. Cela m'a donné envie d'en faire de nombreux autres. Vraiment intéressant et enrichissant. Une pépite dans les nombreux cours ou Mooc que l'on peut trouver en ligne. Merci. Belle découverte pendant le confinement en France et l'aventure continue...

By James W

Sep 12, 2018

Thoroughly enjoyable and provided fantastic inspiration for my own work. The lecturer was clearly very knowledgeable and conveyed sometimes difficult concepts simply and reinforced these throughout the course. It really was easy to stay motivated with this course!

By Tammie T

Mar 4, 2021

Great course! The instructor is clear and interesting. The demonstration of painting technique is informative and practical. The video is well-made. The additional resources are useful. Definitely 5-star! I hope to take more similar courses by this instructor.

By Jennifer H

Jan 26, 2021

This course was excellent. The combination of studio exercises and readings broadened my understanding of Abstract Expressionism immensely. It was beyond my expectations! The instructor was particularly good; I hope to learn more from him in future courses.

By G

Jan 24, 2021

Very interesting, informative, easy to follow and understand the course. I really enjoy that the techniques of the artists were explained and showed and the participants can try to make their own versions of it based on what they have learned. Amazing course!

By Sarita R

Jun 1, 2020

Well-designed course; I learnt so much about the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists. The studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs were favourites, thank you Corey D'Augustine for great presentations. Excellent overall.

By Josephine V

May 26, 2017

Corey D'Augustine and MoMA curators engaged participants, like myself, in a multi-sensory hands-on experience that transformed our nascent perceptions of abstract expressionism into a developed sense of artistic appreciation for the revolutionary approaches