Back to In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

Learner Reviews & Feedback for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting by The Museum of Modern Art

Want to know how some of the 20th century’s most celebrated artists made abstract paintings? This course offers an in-depth, hands-on look at the materials, techniques, and thinking of seven New York School artists, including Willem de Kooning, Yayoi Kusama, Agnes Martin, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark Rothko. Through studio demonstrations and gallery walkthroughs, you’ll form a deeper understanding of what a studio practice means and how ideas develop from close looking, and you’ll gain a sensitivity to the physical qualities of paint. Readings and other resources will round out your understanding, providing broader cultural, intellectual, and historical context about the decades after World War II, when these artists were active. The works of art you will explore in this course may also serve as points of departure to make your own abstract paintings. You may choose to participate in the studio exercises, for which you are invited to post images of your own paintings to the discussion boards, or you may choose to complete the course through its quizzes and written assessments only. Learners who wish to participate in the optional studio exercises may need to purchase art supplies. A list of suggested materials is included in the first module. Learning Objectives: Learn about the materials, techniques, and approaches of seven New York School artists who made abstract paintings. Trace the development of each artist’s work and studio practice in relation to broader cultural, intellectual, and historical contexts in the decades after World War II. Hone your visual analysis skills. Use each artist’s works as a point of departure for making your own abstract paintings....

DB

Jul 26, 2020

Beyond my expectations! Encouraged by in studio where I discovered I could be successful experimenting with all the different artists. The knowledge, insight, and fascinating experience was joyous!

DC

Jun 07, 2020

Really enjoyed this course, first course I have taken in this area of study. The course has given me an understanding of the artists covered and can't wait to see the artists paintings in person.

226 - 250 of 467 Reviews for In the Studio: Postwar Abstract Painting

By maria f l

Jun 25, 2017

muy buen curso ... ayuda a adquirir conocimientos mas especificos sobre los artistas , como son los videos en estudios . me ayudaron mucho

By KIRSTEN M

Nov 04, 2017

Excellent - one of the most interesting courses I have done. The practical demonstrations make this a very unique experience - thank you!

By Mary C

Jun 20, 2017

A fantastic course that is greatly presented and instructed. A fantastic way to discover and learn the techniques used by the artists.

By Stanislaus G

Apr 03, 2017

I learned so much in this class-- about the artists we studied and about how they actually created their work. It was pretty amazing!

By Joan S P

Feb 19, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this class. Very informative. I loved in particular the videos demonstrating the techniques used by each artist.

By Brittany T

Dec 27, 2017

From both the art history side and the studio side, this is a simply amazing class! I learned so much and enjoyed every minute of it.

By Jacopo

May 01, 2019

This course is well structured. Contents are accessible and insightful. Hopefully MoMA will do more similar ones or expand this one.

By James S

Jun 12, 2017

Excellent course! Having the opportunity to paint like the artists adds so much insight and meaning to the experience. Thanks Corey!

By Danielle L D

Jul 18, 2020

it was awesome taking this class waiting for certificate. I received the Certificate this morning I learned a lot from the class .

By Marion T

Aug 09, 2017

I loved this class, I learned a lot. Just read my essay, you will understand! thank you again, I will certainly take another class

By Lisa M H

May 22, 2017

Enjoyable course. Postwar Abstraction is fascinating and this course does a great job presenting these artists in an exciting way.

By Paul

Aug 17, 2020

The studio art section was a lot of fun, I would advise you try to do a least some of the exercises and for sure watch the videos

By Raquel V

Aug 11, 2019

It is a thoughtful approach to post-war Abtract Expressionism, perfect balance between theory and practice. Thank you very much!

By Hal S

May 22, 2020

Excellent course! I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. It was laid out well and always kept my interest. Highly recommended.

By Carla P

molto interessante e stimolante ringrazio tutti gli insegnanti e il moma per aver reso possibile questo percorso

carla pistola

By Emilio M

Dec 20, 2017

This is a very interesting course! I made and painted my first canvas with acrilic, I'm very happy about all this experience.

By Alessandra G B

Es un muy buen curso, que te ayuda a darte cuenta de la historia detrás de muchas pinturas así como las técnicas utilizadas.

By Manuel C V X

Apr 27, 2020

Excellent course, congratulations to all: members of staff and colleagues.

Hope to see you in another course from COURSERA.

By Alberto A E

May 18, 2017

Wonderful Course. I have been recomending it to all may artist friends. It will certainly have an effect in my own practice.

By Hitomi K

Apr 02, 2019

This course was very meaningful to me. If you are interested in American modern art, I highly recommend taking this course.

By Enrico D C

Jun 06, 2020

Very accurate and professional course, I learned a lot of things and loved and concept I never thought I would. Excellent!

By Emma M

Jul 29, 2020

Amazing! I really really enjoyed it and learned a ton! I would definitely recommend this course to family and friends! :D

By Valerio V

Apr 29, 2020

Awesome course on Abstract Painting and Arts in General. I was able to learn much from our instructor Corey D'Augustine.

By Angelica S

Apr 02, 2018

A great experience to have taken this course. Knowing and applying the techniques of these seven artists was enriching.

By Andrew R

May 22, 2017

Loved the demonstrations of how the painters featured may have approached/undertaken/achieved their individual results.