Back to Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences by The University of Edinburgh

Course Description What is our role in the universe as human agents capable of knowledge? What makes us intelligent cognitive agents seemingly endowed with consciousness? This is the second part of the course 'Philosophy and the Sciences', dedicated to Philosophy of the Cognitive Sciences. Scientific research across the cognitive sciences has raised pressing questions for philosophers. The goal of this course is to introduce you to some of the main areas and topics at the key juncture between philosophy and the cognitive sciences. Each week we will introduce you to some of these important questions at the forefront of scientific research. We will explain the science behind each topic in a simple, non-technical way, while also addressing the philosophical and conceptual questions arising from it. Areas you’ll learn about will include: Philosophy of psychology, among whose issues we will cover the evolution of the human mind and the nature of consciousness. Philosophy of neurosciences, where we’ll consider the nature of human cognition and the relation between mind, machines, and the environment. Learning objectives Gain a fairly well-rounded view on selected areas and topics at the intersection of philosophy and the sciences Understand some key questions, and conceptual problems arising in the cognitive sciences. Develop critical skills to evaluate and assess these problems. Suggested Readings To accompany 'Philosophy and the Sciences', we are pleased to announce a tie-in book from Routledge entitled 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone'. This course companion to the 'Philosophy and the Sciences' course was written by the Edinburgh Philosophy and the Sciences team expressly with the needs of MOOC students in mind. 'Philosophy and the Sciences for Everyone' contains clear and user-friendly chapters, chapter summaries, glossary, study questions, suggestions for further reading and guides to online resources. Please note, this companion book is optional - all the resources needed to complete the course are available freely and listed on the course site....

CM

Aug 07, 2018

I have enjoyed the course, specially the detailed way of explained all the topics by the instructors. Also, I went through some of the bibliography sources provided which is a lot. Thank You all

MS

Nov 15, 2019

Very thorough and deep understanding of the subjects by the professors and lecturers. Tests are very well prepared aimed at a deep understanding of a given theme.

101 - 125 of 137 Reviews for Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences

By Eduardo S P

Mar 11, 2017

I enjoyed this course, however some of the lectures were a bit slow or somehow loose. Evenso, I think this is a very good introductory course to a fascinating topic.

By Katt P

Mar 10, 2017

Great high-level overview that introduces some very interesting concepts. Great intro for those who are just exploring this area of study. Entices you to dive deeper into the topic!

By Daniel F

Apr 17, 2017

Extremely interesting topics; it is a quick and broad survey, so very superficial, though. Just a series of 10-15 minutes presentations introducing each aspect of the field. Don't be discouraged if you find the first week's presentation lacking/unengaging: it gets better.

By Tan K Q

May 06, 2017

I am reading up on cognitive sciences for my PhD dissertation on cognitive narratology and space. The contents of this course are mostly very clearly presented. The topic is engaging, and I like the examples cited in the presentations.

By Mohamed A

Apr 04, 2017

This is a complete introduction the cognitive sciences. A great course to start with, but is still for the beginners

By Sidney C

Jun 21, 2017

This is a well done overview of Cognitive Sciences. Thank you.

By Derrick J R

Aug 05, 2017

I love these topics and all of the implications.

By Steven v d G

Nov 22, 2016

A good and informative course on the philosophy of cognitive sciences. Judging by the lectures and quizzes, the course does seem to be more on a high school level, than an undergraduate level.

By tuba y

Jan 19, 2018

Great as an introduction, but requires a lot of more in-depth individual research on the part of the novice learner, which could be facilitated by providing seminal readings - to let beginners know from where to start. Thank you

By Stefan V

Feb 08, 2017

Wonderful course! It's a great introduction to the topic of embodied cognition. My only suggestion is to expand it for the people who are really interested in these topics.

By Manolis P

Nov 28, 2016

Approachable, easy to follow, interesting examples, rich additional readings, good lecturers, easy exams

By Allison B

Sep 03, 2017

I think they should give us harder/more in-depth readings than just internet encyclopedia articles. It would be nice if they directed us to seminal papers that developed some of the ideas presented here instead of just summaries.

By Victor J M C

Dec 09, 2017

This was a good course, and I have learned new things by taking the course, but it would have benefitted from more depth. It is, however, a course for which it must be stressed that the title contains "introduction". By taking the course, one gets an overview of different areas of Cognitive Science and how different researchers might do research in those areas. This is all very good, but I had expected more depth. The course requires one to understand what the researchers are saying - nothing more than that; one does not learn to think in a new way or to analyse cases. Overall, it is an interesting course, but it is more like a documentary with quizzes to test, if one has paid attention, than it is like a course, in which one needs to really understand the content.

By Karin F

Mar 22, 2017

Great course! Could've been longer. Looking forward to more online courses from the U of Edinburgh.

By Jonathan G

Feb 13, 2018

fascinating course. I had no idea this was connected to robotics!

By Jim K

Dec 19, 2016

I like the subject and the topics of each week are also interesting. However, the 4 weeks' content can only cover limited topics. And the course in Coursera can be improved by making the parts in each week clearer and reducing some subtitle mistakes.

By Robert L

Sep 08, 2017

A good overview though it does mix and match definition from Edinburgh research rather than research in general.

By Rahul K

Apr 04, 2018

A very brief, concise, and fun-to-learn course. It helped me bridge the gap between AI cognition and human cognition. Love the presentation style of the lectures!

By Troy

May 02, 2019

A pretty course to have a brief understanding of cognitive science.

By yan l

May 06, 2019

I enjoyed the course, but felt like something was missing from the course.

By Ignacio J B P

Aug 12, 2019

It lacks a certain unity, maybe because it has many different teachers.

By Christopher W

Jan 25, 2019

I came to update my existing knowledge of Cognitive Science (which dates from the 1990s), and this short course worked well enough for that.

However, it was a bit variable in quality for me. Andy Clark was okay, I got annoyed with the Philosophy of Consciousness lecture (probably not the lecturer's fault, more the terms of the debate), but I really loved Series's lecture on the Bayesian Brain.

The quizzes will not leave you feeling you have achieved great things, however - too easy. I won't be purchasing a certificate for my wall.

By Cindy G L

Jan 13, 2019

Interesting subject, but the course is only a quick introduction and doesn't go into much detail.

By Esther R

Dec 17, 2018

It is an introductory course, it makes you curious about the topic but I found the last essay too complex for the level taught in the course. I would have liked it to be longer and that the weekly lectures were more linked.

By Avi

Jan 20, 2018

Interesting videos, but quite basic. Would be good to include more cognitive psychology experiments and cases involving patients