Back to Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology by Tel Aviv University

This class is aimed at people interested in understanding the basic science of plant biology. In this four lecture series, we'll first learn about the structure-function of plants and of plant cells. Then we'll try to understand how plants grow and develop, making such complex structures as flowers. Once we know how plants grow and develop, we'll then delve into understanding photosynthesis - how plants take carbon dioxide from the air and water from soil, and turn this into oxygen for us to breathe and sugars for us to eat. In the last lecture we'll learn about the fascinating, important and controversial science behind genetic engineering in agriculture. If you haven't taken it already, you may also be interested in my other course - What A Plant Knows, which examines how plants see, smell, hear and feel their environment: https://www.coursera.org/learn/plantknows. In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

AP

Nov 05, 2017

That was a pleasure to have such a passionate and interested in biology lecturer. I found course useful and interesting. Thank you dr. Chamovitz for let me being your student for last several weeks.

JL

Aug 28, 2017

The course does very good job for providing the planned content. However if you have already studied the field and want to have more deep understanding like I do, you need to look for other courses.

76 - 100 of 113 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

By Arun M

Feb 26, 2017

Excellent ! Now looking for part III

By matthew s

Sep 08, 2017

Easy paced and absorbing. Thank you for this course. I have learnt much that i did not know.

By Sandra C

Mar 26, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed the topic and the instructor. The 4 lecture was v engaging.

By Rodrigo B G

Oct 17, 2016

Very good. Each class is presented in a easy way, with short class, avoiding the course to become preachy, and with good classes about plant biotechnology

By sayna p

Jan 22, 2018

i would like to see more in depth lectures but this was a great intro, passionate professor, interesting material.

By Yu Z

Mar 06, 2017

I got full score in the week1, 3 and 4 quizzes!

By Zvi Z D C

Jul 10, 2017

Again a wonderful course, with only the transcription little problem. It is a very informative and well explained course and if you are a native English speaker, you'll enjoy even the glitches. A must if you are into biology.

By Andrey P

Nov 05, 2017

By jeffrey h

Nov 22, 2017

Clear. Sincere.

Would like to learn more about plant hormones etc

Transmits enthusiasm

By Paulina A O d Z

May 16, 2019

I loved both parts of this course. But I don't know why the "Part II" is not "Part I", because things they explained in "Part II" help to understand things in "Part I". "Part I" is more advanced.

By Jennifer V

Jun 19, 2019

Again, fascinating information that will help me as a biology teacher and gardener

By Mariana G G

Jun 20, 2019

Very interesting and clear course

By Adriana O

Aug 20, 2019

It is well explained and the quizzes are thinking to answer. I got a great review of plant science and also I learn new topics

By Wang L

Jul 05, 2019

It inspires me to dig the plan biology furtherly.

By Veliko D

Oct 20, 2019

Amazingly interesting course. I am not a specialist, but mathematician who is natural sciences geek. I learned many things and it added on my passion for botany, biology and genetics.

I really hope for more courses from Daniel Chamovitz!

By Larissa D

Nov 04, 2019

Really enjoyed this course. It cemented the biology learned in Part 1 and extended to a more detailed look at photosynthesis.

By Andre P

Nov 08, 2019

Very good overview of the world of plants and human interaction

By John S

Nov 12, 2019

This course provides an excellent foundation in cell structure and physiology as well as plant biology. The discussion of GMOs was hugely beneficial.

By LolaP

Feb 06, 2019

C'était très enrichissant et intéressant. J'ai préféré en revanche la Partie I que je trouvais plus riches.

Merci encore pour ces cours!! Une super opportunité d'apprendre la biologie.

By John N

Sep 05, 2017

Great introductionary course for basics of Plants Biology. The other Course course from Dean Chamovitz - "What a Plant Knows" is much more interesting, is has 70% of the same knowledge.

By timothy b

May 29, 2017

Very detailed and informative without seeming like schoolwork. I would have given it 5 stars except the GMO lectures were too focused on technology to the exclusion of environmental concerns. Even if GMOs are safe for humans, lab studies are poor predictors of field results. GMOs share many of the problems of invasive species and biological controls. Once released, they require constant monitoring and management, a cost many users are not willing to incur.

By Anita S

Apr 21, 2017

Thank you, Dr. Chamovitz! I enjoyed this course. I did WAPK 1 a few years back as well. Please do create many more courses on plant biology - yours is the only one available on Coursera. Some feedback points: 1) Very little interaction and moderation on the discussion forums. There are many interesting points posted there, but no instructor intervention. 2) After listening to the videos i really did not enjoy the reading material provided - perhaps some other sites would be better. 3) The course syllabus is not enough to gauge whether the course is basic, medium or advanced level. Perhaps an indicator would help. For example, in Week 3 content on photosynthesis I was expecting a much more detailed discussion. It would be great to have more advanced courses from you and your team. Your overview explanations are extremely lucid and the visuals provided really help. I think that very few biology textbooks/reading material provide such a clear overview picture and link across concepts. Excellent course! 4) The concern re. GMOs is just touched upon - in such a case I think it would be good if you could take up specific queries, concerns raised in different countries and share your view on those. For example, Bt Brinjal in India. 5) I love the lab visits! Thank you again for this course!

By Saleem A

Feb 11, 2017

i think this is very good course and the teacher was excellent through out the course

By Eva

May 31, 2017

Great course! I enjoyed professor Chamovitz enthousiasm. I now understand some important basics, but I understand I will need to learn a lot more to fully grasp plant biology, techniques for research and applications. This course makes me want to learn more! I hope there will be a follow up course.

By madhav s

Dec 06, 2016

I would like to thank the course instructor and coursera for such an incredible course . It has truly helped me understand the plants biology and life process.