Back to Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology by Tel Aviv University

This class is aimed at people interested in understanding the basic science of plant biology. In this four lecture series, we'll first learn about the structure-function of plants and of plant cells. Then we'll try to understand how plants grow and develop, making such complex structures as flowers. Once we know how plants grow and develop, we'll then delve into understanding photosynthesis - how plants take carbon dioxide from the air and water from soil, and turn this into oxygen for us to breathe and sugars for us to eat. In the last lecture we'll learn about the fascinating, important and controversial science behind genetic engineering in agriculture. If you haven't taken it already, you may also be interested in my other course - What A Plant Knows, which examines how plants see, smell, hear and feel their environment: https://www.coursera.org/learn/plantknows. In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

AP

Nov 05, 2017

That was a pleasure to have such a passionate and interested in biology lecturer. I found course useful and interesting. Thank you dr. Chamovitz for let me being your student for last several weeks.

JL

Aug 28, 2017

The course does very good job for providing the planned content. However if you have already studied the field and want to have more deep understanding like I do, you need to look for other courses.

101 - 113 of 113 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

By SATISH P G

Jan 18, 2018

wonderful teaching and knowledgeable course , thank you !

By Dan D

Jun 16, 2018

I enjoyed the course and learned a fair amount. And although I've signed up for a handful of Coursera courses over the years, this is my first time ever actually completing one! :)Great professor with a clear lecturing style. I would like to see more PDF materials included in the course. For example, chapters from biology; botany; and other related textbooks -- but also other related texts and not necessarily from textbooks.I was also for a class which focused on a bit more of, for lack of a better way to put it, the plants themselves; maybe not so much at a cellular level but perhaps more at the level of plant organs, reproduction, plant evolution and survival strategies, etc.

By Richard K

Jun 12, 2017

very informative

By Huda K

Aug 14, 2017

I must say that I used a lot of external reading in order to submit the quizes. Other than that, the course is very intersting.

By Cass G

Jan 29, 2018

I prefered the course "What a plant knows" which was easier for me even if this course is very very interesting.

Thank you very much.

By Zechuan R

May 22, 2018

Good course for plant biology

By Matthew R

Jan 11, 2018

Shorter than some other courses, but very informative and easy to understand!

By Marcelo d S Z

Aug 21, 2018

Technically excellent and very enjoyable. Although professor Chamovitz is clearly an authority on the subject and a very good teacher, it surprises me how "naive" he appears to be while dissociating (in week 4) the scientific aspect of genetic engineering of its economical motivations.

By April H

Sep 19, 2017

This class is great if you're looking for a fun course, but you won't find it satisfying if you're looking for something rigorous. The online textbook used for most of the readings isn't very well organized and has a tendency to define very simple terms while using but not defining more complex ones. The instructor adds a good amount of information about each week's topic in the video lectures, so they're well worth watching. Sometimes, the week's videos give a clearer understanding of the material than the textbook.

By Sohaila J

Aug 17, 2017

It was alright but could have been a bit more ordered and informative. Compared to other courses it was a bit short and slightly superficial. Would have been interesting to cover more aspects of plant genetic engineering like photosynthetic enhancement and drought resistance along with other vectors.

By Shelley M

Sep 18, 2016

Seemed like a good course, however I could not stand this professor's voice so if that doesn't bother you I'm sure it is decent. (it might possibly be the poor audio that is off putting as well)

By Julie

Aug 22, 2017

It all was great until he started supporting GMO's. What is this, 2016?

By Audrey P