Back to Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology by Tel Aviv University

This class is aimed at people interested in understanding the basic science of plant biology. In this four lecture series, we'll first learn about the structure-function of plants and of plant cells. Then we'll try to understand how plants grow and develop, making such complex structures as flowers. Once we know how plants grow and develop, we'll then delve into understanding photosynthesis - how plants take carbon dioxide from the air and water from soil, and turn this into oxygen for us to breathe and sugars for us to eat. In the last lecture we'll learn about the fascinating, important and controversial science behind genetic engineering in agriculture. If you haven't taken it already, you may also be interested in my other course - What A Plant Knows, which examines how plants see, smell, hear and feel their environment: https://www.coursera.org/learn/plantknows. In order to receive academic credit for this course you must successfully pass the academic exam on campus. For information on how to register for the academic exam – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/registration Additionally, you can apply to certain degrees using the grades you received on the courses. Read more on this here – https://go.tau.ac.il/b.a/mooc-acceptance Teachers interested in teaching this course in their class rooms are invited to explore our Academic High school program here – https://tauonline.tau.ac.il/online-highschool...

AP

Nov 05, 2017

That was a pleasure to have such a passionate and interested in biology lecturer. I found course useful and interesting. Thank you dr. Chamovitz for let me being your student for last several weeks.

JL

Aug 28, 2017

The course does very good job for providing the planned content. However if you have already studied the field and want to have more deep understanding like I do, you need to look for other courses.

26 - 50 of 116 Reviews for Understanding Plants - Part II: Fundamentals of Plant Biology

By maxima g

Jul 03, 2017

Thank you for the opportunity to learn such an interesting course while staying at home. As a teacher I must admit that prof. Chamovitz is a wonderful and understandable lecturer. It was a pleasure to be his student.

By Marium G

Jul 12, 2017

An exellent review of what I studied in 9th grade botany with latest updates on latest genetic engineering methods being used in agriculture.

By Matthias W

Jan 04, 2017

Interesting & very good build-up of information.

By Paul C H

Jun 25, 2017

A really interesting and very well presented course.

By Rafael

Jun 02, 2017

Thank you Professor David, I loved it, it was great and quite interesting.

By Ghaxala A

Jul 21, 2017

perfect

By Ángel D F

Jul 25, 2017

Fantastic course. I have learnt a lot of about plants.

By kripi M

Jun 24, 2017

Quite interesting, deep course. The tutor seems to have put a lot of efforts to make it a great course as it is a one. I recommend it to botany and biology students

By Carlos E P d L

Jan 21, 2017

A very interesting course about plants and how they survive and live, with a little bit of genetic engineering.

By Howard E F

Nov 06, 2016

Well done course. Dr. Chamovitz is a clear and easy to understand lecturer with a passion for his subject. In each of the two courses on plant biology I have taken with him, a highlight is when he shows us his plant biology lab to see up close just how the science we have learned in the course is applied in the lab. Understanding Plants, Part 2 takes a detailed look at plant biology at the cellular level including a look at how genes affect flowering, understanding cellular energy production and ending with genetic modification. Lectures have in-lecture questions, which are very helpful, and the quizzes are fair. I recommend the course.

By Marwan E I

Mar 01, 2017

Very useful information presented well by a knowledgeable professor who keeps you interested in the course. Thank you

By Pikulenko M M

Dec 04, 2016

Very helpful

By Edimilson J D O

Sep 18, 2017

Super ! Hope to have the opportunity to join Part III as soon as available.

By Alison C

Feb 22, 2018

I took this course as a follow up to Part 1 and it is equally good. The subject matter is very engaging (I'm a zoologist who needs to know a bit more about botany) and the lecturer has a great style. Really enjoyed this, thank you!

By Naomi E W

Dec 28, 2016

This was a great way to ease my way into studying Biology more seriously

By Richard S

Jul 24, 2017

Great course! Very interesting. Awesome instructor/presenter too!

By Felipe D

Jan 18, 2018

Brilliant! the contents are well designed and explained.

By rony p r

Oct 30, 2016

It was one of the best course from Coursera and Tel Aviv university. I enjoyed a lot. The content was very good for an agriculture student. The presentation was also good.

By Jeny S

Feb 21, 2017

By Debasish P

Apr 09, 2018

I am very glad to complete this course. I have never learned these things in such a easy and effective way. It broadens my area of my thinking and knowledge. Thank you, Professor Daniel Chamovitz. I will follow your courses in future.

By luis r o c

Feb 21, 2018

For all that are found of plants biology

By 魏健.Wei C

Jun 30, 2017

Excellent teacher

By Monica B M

Oct 30, 2016

Always a pleasure to take courses with Professor Chamovitz. A passionate professor with a real talent for teaching . I highly recommend his courses.