Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

BS
Jul 5, 2020

Excelent course! It gives you the principles of project management for the early phases, initianing and planning, it has very good dynamic and share examples, it's a good option if you're newbie in PM

PD
Jan 28, 2020

Thank you to Coursera for such a great platform to improve our skills and literacy.The learning environment offered here is completely a learn at your own pace environment,making it flexible to learn.

101 - 125 of 3,780 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Rita D

Sep 2, 2020

Very nice introductory course to PM. Well-balanced in terms of content, with a mix of videos and powerpoint presentations. Really enjoyed the case-studies and the interview with panelists. Easy and comfortable to follow. The instructor did a very good job. Thank you to the whole team for providing this amazing course.

By Yohan S

Jun 2, 2016

Great course. Gave me a good overview, actually more than an overview, of project management. Lecture was to the point and easy to understand. Lessons were presented in a very informative and logical manner. I really enjoyed the video tips at the end of each lesson and the panelist discussion in the last lesson.

By Afonso A S C B

Jun 29, 2021

I really liked the fact that I could understand some of the most important areas that a project manager can influence, what's the role of him, and his responsibilities. It's really nice to look at what is done on the local we work and understand whats the role of everyone and understand what could be done better.

By Mario

Jan 19, 2021

I am very satisfied with how the instructor explains the fundamentals comprehensively. I highly appreciate the extra clips where the instructor tells her own experience in implementing strategies for the topic in each lesson. I learnt a lot and am motivated to continue the rest of this specialization's courses.

By Gregory M

Dec 3, 2017

This course was an excellent introduction to Project Management. The material was well laid out and the pace was good. I recommend that any one challenging the course obtain a copy of the PBOK guide, for the recommended readings. You can successfully complete the course with out it but I found it added depth.

Apr 14, 2016

I found this course to be invigorating, knowledgeable, and relevant. I am very happy I took it. I will be able to immediately use the skills I learned. I hope to learn as much in the next course leading to my goal to a specialization. Thanks for all the support, and making my time here worth all the effort.

By Kenneth L

Mar 22, 2016

This is a well written course, the video lessons are very helpful. Because of Coursera.org, I have improved my knowledge and understanding of project management 100%. This is a big help on my job, thank you so much. Since I am working, being able to stop and come back to finish the lesson is a huge benefit.

By Tsonis S

Nov 30, 2020

It is a very helpful course in order to understand what a Project Manager is. I had no previous knowledge over the topic and really was very pleasant and easy going learning experience.

Don't forget to I give a 5 star credit to the great instructor Margaret Meloni. She is really nice and very transmissible.

By Charles D

Oct 24, 2020

Excellent course with very course course instructor.

1. My challenge is that sometimes I find it difficult to go back to the course to continue. Sometimes I have to open several mails before I can get to continue my course.

2. Also, pls clarify to me when I can get my certificates for the completed courses.

By Hoàng L T

Feb 6, 2021

The course gives me an overall of project management and an understanding of how a project manager should be. There are still some unclear concepts in the course. However, I can comprehend very well since it has many examples and exercises to practice. This course, in conclusion, is worth my time to learn.

By MAWIEN M M

May 12, 2020

Thank you very to UCI for such opportunity. I am fully satisfied with the course and I can't wait to get into the next course

I highly recommended this course to those who would like to take Project management as part of their career.

Thank you so much once again Margret Melon , You're really incomparable

By Chea M C

Jun 9, 2020

Good trainer and very informative! The best I like is the videos do not spent too long to explain the concept if compare to some other online courses that I have taken in another online learning portal. Sharing of experiences also make us have a better overview about handling in the real world. Awesome!

By Humayoon

Mar 29, 2020

This course covers all information regarding Project Planning, formation of management team, organizational structures, and documentation process which enhance the quality and learning in the course.

I will recommend this course to all candidates who are willing to opt Project Management Career. Thanks !

By Faruq A

Apr 4, 2019

Amazing course and platform. For the first time I learnt about it, and the way the concepts were cleared was amazing. I wish if I could enroll some other subjects, or in the near future. Last but not the least HEC Pakistan played a great role for the students to use this productive and free platform.

By Ana I C

This course is really great cause it covers the basics, meaning students or individuals who are beginners will have no problem learning the basics of Project Management. This initial part of the course may be quite technical and easy, but it's a nice means to start how a Project Manager should think.

By ani d

Nov 5, 2016

I really liked this course. I find the content and materials delivered very interesting and useful for my career development.

However, I find that there are too many opportunities to pass each week, which makes the course extremely easy to pass for everyone even without trying hard (moral hazard :) )

By Sherry-Ann D

Feb 2, 2019

Extremely interactive, simple to understand and I enjoyed the different teaching styles with the readings, videos and little exercises within the material. Very engaging. The panel interviews added a nice practical touch to the course as it shows what we learn is not just theory but rather useful.

By Shumaila K

Jan 4, 2021

This course is very enlightening when it comes to understanding the fundamental concepts in project management. However, I believe that this course can be improved by increasing the number of case studies and practice assignments to give exposure to the practical situations in project management.

By Michael W

Jun 26, 2017

excellent prep. lots of info in this course. i personally passed it 100% o first try, but feel in need to take once or twice in full to digest all info within this course. overall great learning opportunity and very comprehensive. Good mix of video and reading and valuable blend of info sources

By Maurici P

Feb 12, 2017

Very Good course to initiate yourself on Project Management. It makes a good job at teaching you the basics and showing you which tools are available to project managers.

That said, it doesn't do a lot of emphasis on how to use those tools, but that information you can easily find it elsewhere.

By Matt W

Feb 24, 2021

This course was an excellent introduction to initiating and planning projects. Some of the materials could do with some editing as there were more typo's than I would expect, but overall the information provided was excellent and I look forward to continuing to learn about project management.

By Amar N S

Nov 27, 2017

First of all i would like to thank Margaret Meloni for her sincere efforts for making us understand the basics of project management. this course gives us very good idea about the initiation activities of a project, human resource management , organization structures and conflict management.

By Sandeep J

Apr 19, 2020

It was a very wonderful and well designed course. Module wise extra reading and the perfect quizzes have built the confidence in the learner as course progresses. The lecture videos are very good and helped me to comprehend the concepts. It was a very nice and pleasing learning experience.

By Natnael D

Jul 1, 2019

Extremely well versed and well read instructor with a very good understanding of what is important and what is not so much in an introductory course. Relevant subject matter and the course was laid out in a very organized and logical way. Would recommend to anyone interested in this field.

By Victoria N W

Jun 5, 2020

This course was very easy to follow along with. The videos and the course activities were interactive, tons of important information from all courses. This certificate took me less than a month to complete, working for a couple of hours twice a week. I highly recommend this certification.