Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

P

Jan 29, 2020

Thank you to Coursera for such a great platform to improve our skills and literacy.The learning environment offered here is completely a learn at your own pace environment,making it flexible to learn.

SY

Aug 31, 2020

The course is a very great asset to any aspiring project manager. You get to understand the fundamentals and essentials in any given project and the means to ameliorate conflicts amongst stakeholders.

251 - 275 of 2,904 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Ewa A

May 05, 2020

This is a great course that describes in detail the first steps in project management. It mixes videos, reading and interactive content that helps you stay engaged and learn.

By Karen S

Aug 01, 2017

Great beginning to the topic of project management. Also a great indicator for me that this is a very good fit for my skills and career experience so far. Let's keep going!

By Pradeep S

Aug 05, 2020

Nicely packaged course with videos and panel discussions, it felt like it was an interactive classroom training. It touch based on all importance aspect of project planning.

By Layeq R

Aug 04, 2020

I never satisfied by any course like I did by coursera. It's really amazing. After dealing with coursera, I do believe on my self, I'll never say no to any project dealing.

By Ayako T

May 01, 2017

Although my first motive taking this course to study for PMP exam, but I also find it very useful and practical for what I do at work everyday. I am glad I took this course!

By Luis R G L

Dec 30, 2019

Considerando que se trata de un curso introductorio, me parece muy completo y con buena teoría. Lo apoyaría un poco más con casos prácticos para reforzar algunos conceptos.

By Stephen F

Apr 25, 2018

This has been made so easy to study with the video explanations and the reading material really helps as it is put in a manner that is easily understandable... Great Work!!

By waheed A S

Jul 18, 2017

This is a great course handled by great minds anchored by universally recognised institution of respectable standards(University of Califonia Irvine Extension.I give kudos

By Sujata P

Jun 28, 2020

Very insightful for new project managers. The assignments can be more challenging, like, if we can get more assignments on case studies that will be helpful. Thank you! :)

By Sihle M

Jun 19, 2020

I loved it. I loved the panel discussion at the end. I loved the additional resources which does not have to include the textbooks. The Pacing per module was good as well.

By LIM Y J

Jun 13, 2020

Great explanation of initiating and planning project. This course taught me four knowledge areas out of total 10 in the PMBOK. Love it and worth to participant this course

By Sherna J A B

Dec 18, 2018

The technical terms were simplified and the course was rather engaging. I look forward to taking the other courses in this specialisation. Taking this course was worth it.

By Carla D

Jul 10, 2020

This course provided a very good introduction to project management. As someone with know prior theoretical knowledge in this field I was able to follow along quite well.

By Sebastian L R

Jul 19, 2020

Great course, it was a great way to learn about the project management, and it is a good way of approaching to another university and to share the knowledge with others.

By Pratyush A

Jul 18, 2020

Well structured and very well organized course. There could have been more case studies but overall it's a must do course for anyone who aspires to be a project manager.

By Huda k

Sep 12, 2020

The Course was very helpful!

It was a quick overview to the main headlines, after going through it i discovered that i have so much more to learn in Project Management.

By Anuoluwapo B

Oct 12, 2019

This course really got me going in the right direction. Thanks to everyone who made this course available, and realistic for an imaginative & inquisitive heart as mine.

By Aashish G

May 29, 2019

Actually, I am new to project management. After attending this course it starts to give the shape of an overview of the project. I cannot wait to start the next session

By Ashraf

Jul 12, 2017

Really a good lesson ,Exercise & videos helped me to understand and learn quickly & clearly. Thanks for providing a great course. Really it ill be helpful for my career

By Clemence U

Aug 01, 2020

This lesson is more interesting to take it and it is an important lesson for the people who needs to run different projects as its content teach you all key concepts.

By Beatriz P

Jul 24, 2020

Very interesting and useful!!!

Thank you very much to the teacher, Margaret Meloni; the UCI and Coursera for creating it and allowing me to do it.

Thank you very much!!!

By Christian B J

Aug 09, 2016

I thought the course provided a great overview of the PMBOK Guide and project management principles. Having a professor make sense of the PMBOK with you is invaluable.

By Abdirahmaan M

Sep 20, 2020

My name is Abdirahman Ahmed Ali Maansoore iam Somalilander. I have completed the project management and I am so happy that facilitated coursera platform,thank you.

By Jenina A P

Jul 19, 2020

Easy to understand and very simple way of introducing project management concepts. Case studies are awesome as well. There could be more like 2 case studies per week.

By Kevin g

Jun 15, 2020

That course initiating and planning project is very helpful course for management study that's course is very use full . And teaching class is very good and helpfully