Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

P

Jan 29, 2020

Thank you to Coursera for such a great platform to improve our skills and literacy.The learning environment offered here is completely a learn at your own pace environment,making it flexible to learn.

SY

Aug 31, 2020

The course is a very great asset to any aspiring project manager. You get to understand the fundamentals and essentials in any given project and the means to ameliorate conflicts amongst stakeholders.

176 - 200 of 2,900 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By Annie H

May 04, 2019

Provide you with the first basic overview of how a project works academically, information is clear and easy to understand, the suggestion on reading materials is helpful. thank you for uploading this course!

By Muhammad A Z

May 03, 2020

I loved the tutor's way of teaching. The way she engage the audience/students is amazing. Even though the audience is virtual but the method is very effective. Looking forward to learn more courses from her.

By Derek P

h

p

c

s

This course id very good. Its a great introduction for beginners and a refresher for practitioners. Highly recommend it to others

By Reza K

Mar 19, 2018

Fantastic course, taught with the principle that can easily be applied in real life scenarios and the ease of doing project management vibe I got from this course. Thank you Margaret and UCI for this course.

By Charles N

Apr 24, 2017

Very well put together and engaging for budding project managers. Providing the key to the PMBOK was very helpful as I begin to navigate the process toward PMP and project management in a large organization.

By Bishnu B A

Aug 24, 2020

the course is very simplified, which cover all the important requirements for initiating and managing the project successfully. i have learned a lot which helped me a lot to manage my section successfully.

By Prateekshya A

Jul 02, 2019

Amazing coursework and even better presentation skills ensured that I actually enjoyed learning the content. Will recommend to anyone who's interested in getting a grasp on the basics of Project Management.

By Renato A

Oct 08, 2017

Excellent. It shows in an understandable way the initiation and planning of projects, and the lessons integrate very nicely with the PMBOK. I love specially the way this course shows how to "read" the PMBOK

By Anastasia

Oct 18, 2016

Even though I have the basic knowledge about Project Management, this course helped me to learn it in more details. I got to know all the needed steps of project preparation, which is very important for me.

By HIMANSHU M

Mar 13, 2016

It was very interesting course and quite informative and detailed coupled with interesting approaches to situations and real life examples. I couldn't help but complete the course much before the deadlines.

By Carlos E S

Es bastante informacion, conceptos , los cuales con una preparacion como ingeniero y con experiencia en gerencia, es cuestion de identificar y darle nombre a los procesos. y aplicar mucho el sentido comun

By Zeeshan A

Nov 06, 2017

I have a lot to say but simply wanna pay thanks to this platform. It is great to have this kind of courses. Very well done everyone involved in order to launch this kind of stuff for the rest of the world.

By Hammad M U

Feb 19, 2017

I have actually been a lead in a project and have actually implemented most of these processes and they work but seeing them stated out will make me confident in future projects about the decisions I make.

By Riliwan D A

Apr 16, 2020

It is an insightful, educative and worth every minutes and resources invested on the learning. It is indeed an eye opener because it will optimally improve the level and manner in which i manage projects.

By Denise B

Aug 29, 2019

This course was very helpful and informative . It gave me the extra push that I needed to continue my learning on this topic. It covered every area needed to better understand projects and managing them.

By Mustafa A A G

Nov 20, 2016

All in all, the course if very beneficial. I really enjoyed it, especially the parts where I can find the content introduced in Storyline slides, in order to read about the parts that are a bit difficult.

By SAMARAKOON M P M G

Sep 21, 2020

Simply put this is a life lesson .lectures were interesting and easy to understand . The main lecturer Margaret Meloni did a great job . Her presentable approach helps to focus on the subject. Thankyou ❤

By Jeffrey B

Jul 13, 2017

I adored this course. It was a breath of fresh air as far as topic and instructor go. The take-away from this course was sizable and I could apply all my learning the each day at work. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

By Brenda R S

Jul 06, 2020

Excelent course! It gives you the principles of project management for the early phases, initianing and planning, it has very good dynamic and share examples, it's a good option if you're newbie in PM

By wangyuyan

Dec 13, 2016

I had finished the PMBOK 5th in the 2013,but I didn't know how to use the knowledge. This course helped me to understand the konwledge more clearly and told me many bonus Methods to use in the work.

By ADARSH V B

Aug 24, 2020

I enjoyed this course, the mix of the video presentations and the powerpoints are well done. The instructor did an excellent job. the 'bonus videos' and 'panelist interviews' are very good as well.

By Ashita S

Sep 18, 2020

Thank you for such an informative course on initiating and planning projects. This course helped in identifying the project stakeholders and the work breakdown structures of the project in detail.

By Bruno B

Aug 11, 2020

Excellent course, really easy to follow with a modern content and a very good schedule. It helps me to improve how to face new projects and having a better speech when persuading about planning.

By Cristina E Y S

Aug 10, 2020

It is a very informative course, it gives detailed information about what it takes to be a Project Manager. It helps you clarify if you are fit to have that role according to your own abilities.

By Arun C

Apr 26, 2020

I am having a past experience in the IT industry. Learning how my project manager worked made me feel more connected to the role and the responsibilities it comes with. Thank you for the course.