Back to Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century by University of Virginia

This course introduces class participants to the political significance and societal consequences of challenges facing U.S. and international policymakers. It is designed to help participants develop skills to analyze policy proposals and advocate for their preferred options for issues on the public policy agenda ahead. The class assumes basic knowledge about governing institutions and democratic processes, while recommending supplemental materials for further study to complement reading links provided. The course focuses on future policy challenges, while examining the broad historical context in which policies are adopted and implemented. As the course evaluates how issues are advanced by private sector interests, non-governmental organizations, and government policymakers, it examines how groups become effective policy advocates. Particular attention is paid to how winning coalitions are formed and how issue framing shapes the outcome of policy campaigns. The goal is neither to produce partisan talking points, nor to favor one governance philosophy over others. Rather it is to clarify the public policy challenges ahead and to enhance participants’ understanding of how policy options are adopted in the real world arena of contemporary politics....

TA

Sep 27, 2019

To know the "Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century" is more essential for the global people in this era. Thanks for the opportunity. I hope it will give a concise idea to learn on it...

VA

May 03, 2019

This was an excellent introduction. I wish there could have been a greater opportunity for personal engagement with faculty, but I understand the platform makes it very difficult.

1 - 25 of 155 Reviews for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

By vibhor n

Mar 01, 2017

Interesting course. Would have been more helpful if had actually taught how to break a problem in parts and then create a policy.

By Vivek A

May 03, 2019

By Amita J

Nov 26, 2016

I loved the focus of this course, its future orientation and the way debates around an issue were discussed in-depth and very well in limited time. Loved It! Highly Recommend it!

By Zandro G R

Mar 26, 2019

This is the first course I have completed on Coursera. Its very engaging approach to distance education, made more accessible with its course design and approach, and the self-paced modules all contributed to my success throughout the coursework. Professor Warburg and his distinguished resource persons imparted wisdom and insights that will guide me in my further venture into public policy learning and practice.

By Namroz B

Jan 14, 2017

The course provides you with an excellent platform to learn & understand the public policy challenges. You will be able to listen the opinion of experts from political and social sphere to discuss public policy issues & challenges; how decisions are reached and consensus is developed. If you are interested in understanding the diverse set of public policy areas including, inter-alia, US Affordable Care Act, US China relationship, the role of media and government, data privacy in the information age etc. You must, therefore, allow yourself to review this course. You will also allow yourself to understand the unique perspective that Professor Gerry Warburg brings in when he engages the experts in involved yet pragmatic deliberations with regard to various issues.

By Tendai C

Nov 17, 2015

The course was refreshing in the way it made use of various public personalities to deliver lectures based on their personal and professional experiences. I highly recommend it.

By Shivangi M

Sep 15, 2015

It is very US oriented, Which is not necessarily a negative aspect, but please mention that in the course structure more clearly. Although Professor Warburg is very inspiring, the optimistic attitude towards policy leaders is what I think is needed for the younger generation who get sidelined by politics and not policy. It was quite rewarding. Thankyou.

By Kasturi R G

Apr 29, 2019

It was a great course and I enjoyed the first brush of class room session on Public Policy domain. Clearly the highlight of this course was the diverse port folio of imminent speakers who brought their knowledge, wisdom and expertise to the interactive table. I'm a middle aged professional in India, who is recently involved in professional advocacy through Private and Govt. Sectors. The content and topics covered in the course are very appropriate and encompasses geographical diversities, albeit needs to be upgraded to the current challenges as the world has progressed considerably in last 5 years quite drastically. I wish to thank the Frank Batten University and Professor Gerry Warburg for the relevant and smartly designed course.

By L'aurelei D

Sep 06, 2015

This course was interesting and informative. Would have been better if the online portions of the MOOC reflected a wide range of speakers.

By Camila A

Jan 04, 2019

This course posed some very interesting questions about the challenges ahead of us. The variety of experienced guest speakers made it very enriching, and, despite it being very U.S.-oriented, I believe powerful lessons can be learned for those of us in other countries.

By Duncan E O O

Feb 01, 2019

What a great kick off! So far so good

By Muhammad Z I M

Jan 23, 2019

That was tremendous course i meet ever!

By Apoorva A K

Feb 09, 2019

Best Public Policy course I have come across!! Wonderful teaching and discussions. Very informative and educative. even the quiz seemed to be challenging. definitely must take for everyone wanting to pursue a career/education in public sphere anywhere around the world

By Sunkung D

Feb 22, 2019

i like the approach by professor

By Izuchukwu M O

Mar 13, 2019

Super amazing learnings that can be related to a wide spectrum of settings, including mine. Thanks a lot the UV for making this happen!

By Khaled N

Aug 13, 2018

Great Course. Would be positive if more international related material/ examples are included.

By Kamal S

Aug 21, 2018

Very interesting course...

By jared B

Oct 20, 2018

This course was extremely interesting and I am glad that the Frank Batten School of Public Policy and Leadership decided to have this course open to the general public.

By Sreejith E K

Feb 03, 2016

This course provides me a wider idea about the public policy and the future challenges. The discussions and the sharing ideas really help me to understand the core issues. I am really thankful to Professor Gerry Warburg and the entire team, to provide us a wonderful platform.

By Francisco P

Feb 01, 2016

Great course as a physician I enjoy in particularly the week related with Health Economics

By Madeleine B

Sep 03, 2015

Fantastic and informative. At times, a little irrelevant or confusing to international students (the President can do what?), but the core message and information of the course are universal, fascinating and vital to our collective and individual future. Highly recommended.

By David H

Mar 23, 2017

A great course with valuable insights into public policy challenges faces now and in the future.

By Thomas O

Aug 26, 2015

Great class. I wish they had more classes related to PP from UVA. I greatly enjoyed the lectures, the readings and the whole process. There are so many areas of PP. I hope UVA will continue to produce classes with focus on those PP areas.

By Jeanine L

Mar 07, 2017

Excellent format, content and speakers. Informative, thought provoking, engaging and extremely pertinent in today's critical political situation.

By Tawni M

Sep 29, 2015

It has provided me the knowledge and hope to be able to stay on top of local and federal government. The course was easily accessible and with the ability to go at my own pace to research, daily tasks and disability; I was able to successfully gain the knowledge I have desired for so long. Thank UVA and Frank Batton for providing this opportunity and gift of knowledge.