Back to Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century by University of Virginia

This course introduces class participants to the political significance and societal consequences of challenges facing U.S. and international policymakers. It is designed to help participants develop skills to analyze policy proposals and advocate for their preferred options for issues on the public policy agenda ahead. The class assumes basic knowledge about governing institutions and democratic processes, while recommending supplemental materials for further study to complement reading links provided. The course focuses on future policy challenges, while examining the broad historical context in which policies are adopted and implemented. As the course evaluates how issues are advanced by private sector interests, non-governmental organizations, and government policymakers, it examines how groups become effective policy advocates. Particular attention is paid to how winning coalitions are formed and how issue framing shapes the outcome of policy campaigns. The goal is neither to produce partisan talking points, nor to favor one governance philosophy over others. Rather it is to clarify the public policy challenges ahead and to enhance participants’ understanding of how policy options are adopted in the real world arena of contemporary politics....

TA
Sep 26, 2019

To know the "Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century" is more essential for the global people in this era. Thanks for the opportunity. I hope it will give a concise idea to learn on it...

GM
Apr 23, 2020

This course does not focus on any partisan interest but rather inspires you to think deeply, challenges you to reason beyond the status quo, and empowers you with the tools to make an impact!

51 - 75 of 292 Reviews for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

By Madeleine B

Sep 3, 2015

Fantastic and informative. At times, a little irrelevant or confusing to international students (the President can do what?), but the core message and information of the course are universal, fascinating and vital to our collective and individual future. Highly recommended.

By Camila A

Jan 4, 2019

This course posed some very interesting questions about the challenges ahead of us. The variety of experienced guest speakers made it very enriching, and, despite it being very U.S.-oriented, I believe powerful lessons can be learned for those of us in other countries.

By Apoorva A K

Feb 9, 2019

Best Public Policy course I have come across!! Wonderful teaching and discussions. Very informative and educative. even the quiz seemed to be challenging. definitely must take for everyone wanting to pursue a career/education in public sphere anywhere around the world

By Urs B

Apr 1, 2017

Thanks for the very helpful and classy introduction into some of the most pressing policy issues. It helped me to learn about the US issues but also to reflect how these issues spill over to issues with have in the rest of the world and my home country Switzerland.

By Valentina C R

Aug 6, 2020

I really loved the course, thank you for this incredible opportunity of listening and learning from such incredible personalities. I really loved the topics, everything was clear. I expect sometime I could go to the University of Virginia and learn more from them.

By Abhinav A

Jul 11, 2020

One of the best courses I have every attended. Really well designed and executed. Sitting in India and going through he course still made so much sense and showed how we are all bound together in this struggle to build a better future for humanity!

By Temilade A

May 23, 2020

Public Policy challenges are provided in a clear and simple manner. I love the lectures. And beyond public policy, the course also provides insight into leadership and how the 21st century youths can prepare to tackle future policy issues.

By Kayla B H

Sep 11, 2020

Very Comprehensive material presented. The presenters were very knowledgeable and their first hand experience made me more interested in the material presented. I look forward to more courses presented by the University. Great experience.

By Thomas O

Aug 26, 2015

Great class. I wish they had more classes related to PP from UVA. I greatly enjoyed the lectures, the readings and the whole process. There are so many areas of PP. I hope UVA will continue to produce classes with focus on those PP areas.

By Vivek V

Thoroughly enjoyed the entire sessions. All the speakers were amazing with huge experience. The sessions were enriching. I feel the learnings will help me ion addressing my day to day business as usual work in a much better manner.

By Eliana N

Jun 14, 2017

A thought provoking course that has peaked my interest in public policy. The time commitment was manageable and the material covered was informative. I highly recommend this course for those considering a major in public policy.

By ONKAR V D

Sep 19, 2020

A very helpful and an important subject that most individuals need to pay attention to. Most of the data and information are very relevant to what is happening in the globe and the current changes in policies in various sectors

By Conor D

Jan 6, 2016

Great course. As a non-American student, I found that this course enhanced my understanding of American political discourse as well as the stated goals of describing the likely policy challenges of the 21st century.

By KRISHNENDU G

Sep 28, 2020

Anything less than phenomenal would be an understatement!! The course has been prepared very articulately, keeping in mind the diverse perspectives, discussions and futuristic challenges related to public policy.

By Pedro A F G

Sep 20, 2015

This is a great course! I learned so many things related to social and cultural issues. Public Policy is beyond Washington DC and this course will help you to understand this in a much better way.

Great program!!!

By 施捷

Dec 21, 2019

This course is the first one I ever had on Coursera. And it is very helpful for me to grasp a sense and build a foundation on public policy. Also, it gives me a view of college class vibe in UVA. Great indeed!

By sazzad t

Jul 15, 2020

Thanks a lot to Coursera and UVA to share this course with the students of 195 countries. Its been pleasure learning with coursera. I have learned about some important tools that will be useful in the future.

By Mark B T

Jul 15, 2020

This was one of the most very exciting if not the most exciting course I have ever taken. Very interactive and engaging. I look forward to another course. I am so grateful to have been a part of this class.

By John V T

Aug 30, 2015

This is a particularly exceptional course of study, grounded in a well-balanced view of politics at the Federal level. Take it and enjoy, while learning and discussing American Politics and Government.

By Manuel O A

Nov 3, 2015

This was a wonderful course, it debates the future of the world in different aspects: social, political, economics, war, health and other big challenges the humanity will have to deal with.

By Karthik S

Great course and I would like to thank this extraordinary school for going deep into some of the crucial topics in Public Policy/ Loved the experts who shared their views and experiences!

By Rakesh K C

Best way of teaching sharing the practical aspects so that the students are aware about the dynamism of the subject and search for a solution in a technology driven dynamic soceity

By Shristi S

Jul 24, 2020

one of the best course to learn and to develop critical analysis in the field of public policy. Will recommend any one who has interest in Public Policy and Politics as a whole

By Maria d L A P

Mar 4, 2016

A must-take course to people interested in how US policies work at the domestic level o at the international level. Great teacher, even greater speechers. I just loved it!

By Adib Z

Jul 16, 2020

Excellent course to help understanding the policy challenges of the 21st century. The quiz sections too are learner friendly which helps to continue the overall progress