Back to Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century by University of Virginia

This course introduces class participants to the political significance and societal consequences of challenges facing U.S. and international policymakers. It is designed to help participants develop skills to analyze policy proposals and advocate for their preferred options for issues on the public policy agenda ahead. The class assumes basic knowledge about governing institutions and democratic processes, while recommending supplemental materials for further study to complement reading links provided. The course focuses on future policy challenges, while examining the broad historical context in which policies are adopted and implemented. As the course evaluates how issues are advanced by private sector interests, non-governmental organizations, and government policymakers, it examines how groups become effective policy advocates. Particular attention is paid to how winning coalitions are formed and how issue framing shapes the outcome of policy campaigns. The goal is neither to produce partisan talking points, nor to favor one governance philosophy over others. Rather it is to clarify the public policy challenges ahead and to enhance participants’ understanding of how policy options are adopted in the real world arena of contemporary politics....

TA
Sep 26, 2019

To know the "Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century" is more essential for the global people in this era. Thanks for the opportunity. I hope it will give a concise idea to learn on it...

GM
Apr 23, 2020

This course does not focus on any partisan interest but rather inspires you to think deeply, challenges you to reason beyond the status quo, and empowers you with the tools to make an impact!

26 - 50 of 325 Reviews for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

By Ananya S

May 22, 2020

Greetings! I'm an Indian student taking this course hoping to join the Indian Civil Services. Firstly I'd like to thank you for this is excellent course. My favourite part was the discussion with Dee Dee Myers, I could listen to her speak all day and also Senator Tim Kaine. Sadly the course did not live upto my expectations. Please seriously consider my feedback, especially the areas where I thought you could improve in:Tye course gave only an American perspectiveTitle should have been: Public Policy Challenges in USANon-American students are not able to understand it as we don't have the contextAlmost zero examples from other countries & culturesSome students like me need to switch on subtitles to be able to clearly understand the content being spoken so I wasn't able to read and understand the questions or statements that you're showing in the video at the bottom. I believe the way you're presenting questions after the video ends is a better way.You can learn a lot from Yale University's course "Moral Foundations of politics" available on coursera

By Nynke v D

Jan 31, 2016

Primarily focused on US politics and the US policy system. Discusses mostly the problems with the US system of governance and it therefore not really useful for international viewers.

By Desi L P S

Feb 26, 2021

As I began to learn the enormity of Public Policy challenges, my first semester of learning Public Policy went on a voyage full of questions; some founded the answers, some still need to be discovered. Joining the "Public Policy Challenges of The 21st Century" course generously made available by University of Virginiais freshwater to my thirst of knowledge, especially in light of practical challenges policymakers experienced, right on the table of where difficult discussion raised, or outside the formal and constitutional environment in which public policy widely perceived to be likely progressed. I found a session brought by U.S. Senator Tim Kaine on War Powers, which left a strong impression on my understanding of public policy challenges. Senator Kaine had stetted an example and elaborated clearly how public policy is not always dealing with dreams of society's progressive development and grueling efforts to ensure any political agenda worth the battle that may arise or unavoidable. I also echo Professor Gerry Warburg's opinion that knowledge is power. There is urgency in steering the knowledge exploration beyond our known and precedent viewpoints in addressing public policy challenges.

By Benjamin P J

Sep 26, 2020

This was a very enjoyable and thought-provoking course which examined a variety of policy issues. I particularly liked the non-partisan nature of discussions, and the presence of a broad range of speakers with different experience and viewpoints. The pre-lecture readings, lecture transcripts, note-taking option and on-screen discussion questions all helped to create a very learner-friendly experience. While the discussions centre on American policy issues, many of these are invariably general enough to apply to any country (e.g. healthcare challenges, governance structures, etc). I would recommend reading the National Intelligence Council report (found under 'suggested readings') before beginning module 2, as this provides a global overview of many of the issues to be discussed in subsequent weeks.

By Diptarka S

Oct 15, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course and had the opportunity to re-evaluate and analyze my own class lessons as a MA Public Policy and Governance student back in India. The key element about this course is the unbiased universal approach to the public policy challenges the world faces today at transnational, national and local levels. Even an average non-policy student will be able to comprehend most of the talks in this course. Though this course focuses more on the US perspective, the challenges talked about in here are global which may benefit a citizen of any country influenced by public institutions.

Key takeaway- The GT 2030 report reference in each session made all the discussed policy challenges easy to understand.

By Stephen M

Feb 4, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed the structure of the course, selection of topics, and broad spectrum of political and ideological beliefs represented. I work in the private sector in a government affairs role and found this course helpful in re-aligning and strengthening my foundational skill set in how I assess and critically thing about public policy. I only hope the Batten School will add a graduate level online course in the future. Thank you for making this terrific course accessible virtually. We would be a better nation of citizens if it was required learning for adult Americans.

By Lorelyn D

Oct 31, 2020

I am from the Philippines, advocating Constitutional Changes for Federal and Parliamentary and for strong political parties system. Passionate as I am in public service, I became one of the founders of the Centrist Democratic Party of the Philippines which vision and goals were so clear to me. But reality is harsh. ... Yet after having this lesson here, I have learned so much and emboldened and empowered to use these aspirations and realizations in my own country and to perserver.

By Dana T

Feb 21, 2021

As someone that has been watching the changing political landscape, this course was a helpful introduction to the world of public policy. I walk away feeling more equipped to engage in articulate discussion. Also, given that it's 2021, and this course was filmed in 2014/15, it's interesting to see what things have come to pass. I'd definitely recommend this course. The material is strong, and ages well since it looks at both the past, present, and future.

By Edgar C

Nov 1, 2020

Es un curso muy bueno, creo que hoy día a todos nos tiene que interesar la política porque es lo que marca nuestro destino y el destino de nuestros hijos. Justamente estoy pensando realizar una Maestría en Gobernanza y Política Publica, solamente que aun estoy preparado lo suficiente en el idioma ingles, pero este me ayudo bastante con la modalidad de subtitulo en que imparte el presente curso. Muchas gracias Coursera por la oportunidad.

By SAAD W G

Jun 30, 2020

this course was quite fruitful. I really enjoyed it at large. An amazing thing related to the course was that it put a complete picture of many problems lying ahead in near future and, moreover, some potential ways to tackle them in best possible manners. Additionally, it encouraged the students to come forward with creative thinking to undertake the coming pandorabox full of atrocious setbacks.

By Thomas C

Jun 23, 2017

At this point, the "Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century" course is one-of-a-kind innovative effort to provide an overview of the field and what a MPP program might look like for people interested in tackling public policy issues. The Batten School is leading the way on this and I hope to visit the program in person in the fall. I also hope to see more like it on Coursera in the future.

By Samah A J

Feb 26, 2020

The course puts the challenges on the table of discussion and encourages them to find common ground. Although the world needs armchair analysts, passionate women, and men who are creative with policy alternatives are needed. To know when to compromise after considering the principles and crafting the tools is my lesson learned. I passed the course but it is not a 'touch and go' course.

By Eloise C

i

i

g

d

usefull for my relfexions about the challenges i'll have to take on in the future. It really encouraged my to think about several subjects. It also really prouve me that I can influence on those challenges, and I feel I can be usfull to my and all the futures générations. A lot was said during those courses, but I know much remains to be said…

By Tawni M

Sep 29, 2015

It has provided me the knowledge and hope to be able to stay on top of local and federal government. The course was easily accessible and with the ability to go at my own pace to research, daily tasks and disability; I was able to successfully gain the knowledge I have desired for so long. Thank UVA and Frank Batton for providing this opportunity and gift of knowledge.

By Mohamed A

Aug 5, 2020

In the formation of grand strategies that remains ambitious Proper Puplic Policy formation can address the disconnections in the knowledge management which seems a particular challenge in the post-conflict states. This course is important and it is recommended to all those who are dealing with any of the challenges in the public sector in General.

By Stacey H

May 28, 2018

Truly an excellent course with a diverse selection of topics and speakers. I was blown away. However, I am doing this in 2018. Given the drastic changes in American Politics since the November 2016 elections, which is causing tectonic shifts in global policy issues, this course needs to be URGENTLY updated. By the way, I am NOT an American citizen.

By Annabella R

Aug 19, 2015

Wonderful speakers! Prof Warburg was artful and generous in this curriculum with a great showcase of speakers, topics and richness of content.. I took as a review and refresher of US public policy and also wanting to know the most current issues/ conversations. The Frank Batten School and UVA were amazing, timely and thoughtful. Thank you!!

By Alisher J

Sep 7, 2015

This course was higly informative. Throughout this course, new things will be learned and lessons are pretty understandable.

What I like most about this course, is that there were actual students, asking questions, which put me into atmosphere of real university.

Thank you, Professor Warburg and all the staff and lecturers that were invited!

By SORAIA D M F

Oct 3, 2020

Amazing course! Especially if you are a novice and want to comprehend U.S policy. However, it also brings up universal topics that are affecting our daily life and will affect our way to discuss policy. Because at the end of the day, we all talk about politics and give opinions. This course will give fundaments to several opinions.

By Ambika K

Jan 26, 2018

Fantastic Learning! I am a Public Policy professional in India- working on specific US- India Policies, for over a decade. This Course helped me learn/ reinforce many ideas and idealogies that will help broaden my thinking horizon- and approach towards domestic and multinational public policies ( making and implementation).

Thank You!

By Imran U A

Apr 21, 2017

A Very informative course that makes ones mind open that rapid technological changes are not enough to put peer presure on the policy making governing departments, rather an input at each level (citizens & Public) and thinking at broader aspect can bring the constant change to a new level and thus will benefit the national interest.

By Kevin R A B

Jul 29, 2020

An informative and very relevant discussion. This will surely help us. future policy makers in understanding issues that affects our nations on a national level and even on an international level. I hope that there will be part two of this course that focuses on Local Government or State Government. Thank you and God Bless.

By Latagia C

Jul 16, 2017

I loved this course. I learned a lot and got to see things that I probably wouldn't have ever been able to otherwise. Not only was the course informational and enlightening, it was also extremely empowering. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in policy, public service, or government.

By Melissa B

Oct 3, 2015

This course has been outstanding, from the professor and the quality of guest speakers. Thank you so much for giving the opportunity for those of us abroad to be able to take this course and increment the knowledge we have about public policy and how we can become the future leaders of the world in our countries.

By Joshua A

Jan 25, 2021

The Course without a shadow of doubt exceeded my expectation........I now, through this Course have the basic footings to participate in the Public Policy space in my country and across the globe........I will urge Professor Gerry Warburg to work on updating the Course to reflect current happenings............