Back to Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century by University of Virginia

This course introduces class participants to the political significance and societal consequences of challenges facing U.S. and international policymakers. It is designed to help participants develop skills to analyze policy proposals and advocate for their preferred options for issues on the public policy agenda ahead. The class assumes basic knowledge about governing institutions and democratic processes, while recommending supplemental materials for further study to complement reading links provided. The course focuses on future policy challenges, while examining the broad historical context in which policies are adopted and implemented. As the course evaluates how issues are advanced by private sector interests, non-governmental organizations, and government policymakers, it examines how groups become effective policy advocates. Particular attention is paid to how winning coalitions are formed and how issue framing shapes the outcome of policy campaigns. The goal is neither to produce partisan talking points, nor to favor one governance philosophy over others. Rather it is to clarify the public policy challenges ahead and to enhance participants’ understanding of how policy options are adopted in the real world arena of contemporary politics....

VA

May 03, 2019

This was an excellent introduction. I wish there could have been a greater opportunity for personal engagement with faculty, but I understand the platform makes it very difficult.

AJ

Nov 26, 2016

I loved the focus of this course, its future orientation and the way debates around an issue were discussed in-depth and very well in limited time. Loved It! Highly Recommend it!

26 - 50 of 145 Reviews for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

By Tendai C

Nov 17, 2015

The course was refreshing in the way it made use of various public personalities to deliver lectures based on their personal and professional experiences. I highly recommend it.

By Sreejith E K

Feb 03, 2016

This course provides me a wider idea about the public policy and the future challenges. The discussions and the sharing ideas really help me to understand the core issues. I am really thankful to Professor Gerry Warburg and the entire team, to provide us a wonderful platform.

By Francisco P

Feb 01, 2016

Great course as a physician I enjoy in particularly the week related with Health Economics

By Thomas O

Aug 26, 2015

Great class. I wish they had more classes related to PP from UVA. I greatly enjoyed the lectures, the readings and the whole process. There are so many areas of PP. I hope UVA will continue to produce classes with focus on those PP areas.

By Jeanine L

Mar 07, 2017

Excellent format, content and speakers. Informative, thought provoking, engaging and extremely pertinent in today's critical political situation.

By Madeleine B

Sep 03, 2015

Fantastic and informative. At times, a little irrelevant or confusing to international students (the President can do what?), but the core message and information of the course are universal, fascinating and vital to our collective and individual future. Highly recommended.

By Annabella R

Aug 19, 2015

Wonderful speakers! Prof Warburg was artful and generous in this curriculum with a great showcase of speakers, topics and richness of content.. I took as a review and refresher of US public policy and also wanting to know the most current issues/ conversations. The Frank Batten School and UVA were amazing, timely and thoughtful. Thank you!!

By Gintas G

Feb 03, 2016

It is the best course I've ever had.

By sixtus u o

May 18, 2016

A must for future leaders to be well equiped to solve the next generations socio, economic and political challenges.

By 徐丹

Mar 19, 2017

Very informative course! If you are interested in public policy, I strongly recommend you take this course!!

By Keith T J

Aug 14, 2015

Great class!

By DARWIN G V

Sep 29, 2015

Great!!!!

By Ahmer J K

Sep 28, 2015

Amazing course! It helps you look at the world with a whole new perspective!

By John V T

Aug 30, 2015

This is a particularly exceptional course of study, grounded in a well-balanced view of politics at the Federal level. Take it and enjoy, while learning and discussing American Politics and Government.

By Jeff L

Nov 13, 2015

Very engaging material!

By Carole A N

Dec 10, 2015

This was a tremendous course! It really helped me foresee the challenges left ahead for we, the current 21st century youths , whether in the US or elsewhere; as they are transnational in scope. It also gave me the tools to address those challenges more confidently. Thank you!

By Urs B

Apr 01, 2017

Thanks for the very helpful and classy introduction into some of the most pressing policy issues. It helped me to learn about the US issues but also to reflect how these issues spill over to issues with have in the rest of the world and my home country Switzerland.

By Abdulwahab

Nov 04, 2015

Just excellent. I learned so much from the course, the selection of the guest speakers was phenomenal.

By Claudia M

Nov 10, 2015

I believe this is an excellent and very valuable course. I believe that an online printable statement of accomplishment should be given to every student.

Aug 22, 2015

Excellent course content and guest speakers. One of its kind.

By Melissa B

Oct 03, 2015

This course has been outstanding, from the professor and the quality of guest speakers. Thank you so much for giving the opportunity for those of us abroad to be able to take this course and increment the knowledge we have about public policy and how we can become the future leaders of the world in our countries.

By Maria d L A P

Mar 04, 2016

A must-take course to people interested in how US policies work at the domestic level o at the international level. Great teacher, even greater speechers. I just loved it!

By Yasmeen E

Apr 08, 2018

Very insightful.

By Stephen W

Oct 19, 2015

This course gives a lot of new ideas and concepts, along with good discussions on key topics facing public policy and those whom want to make or be involved in it. I have studied by myself for the FSOT, but this course I believe is instrumental in my self-education on political science- public policy. I think all people should take such a course not for their career but for better understanding foreign and domestic policies, and getting into more intellectual debates not like on social media sites.

By Conor D

Jan 06, 2016

Great course. As a non-American student, I found that this course enhanced my understanding of American political discourse as well as the stated goals of describing the likely policy challenges of the 21st century.