Back to Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century by University of Virginia

This course introduces class participants to the political significance and societal consequences of challenges facing U.S. and international policymakers. It is designed to help participants develop skills to analyze policy proposals and advocate for their preferred options for issues on the public policy agenda ahead. The class assumes basic knowledge about governing institutions and democratic processes, while recommending supplemental materials for further study to complement reading links provided. The course focuses on future policy challenges, while examining the broad historical context in which policies are adopted and implemented. As the course evaluates how issues are advanced by private sector interests, non-governmental organizations, and government policymakers, it examines how groups become effective policy advocates. Particular attention is paid to how winning coalitions are formed and how issue framing shapes the outcome of policy campaigns. The goal is neither to produce partisan talking points, nor to favor one governance philosophy over others. Rather it is to clarify the public policy challenges ahead and to enhance participants’ understanding of how policy options are adopted in the real world arena of contemporary politics....

VA

May 03, 2019

This was an excellent introduction. I wish there could have been a greater opportunity for personal engagement with faculty, but I understand the platform makes it very difficult.

AJ

Nov 26, 2016

I loved the focus of this course, its future orientation and the way debates around an issue were discussed in-depth and very well in limited time. Loved It! Highly Recommend it!

51 - 75 of 145 Reviews for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

Aug 30, 2016

Excellent

By Ambika K

Jan 27, 2018

Fantastic Learning! I am a Public Policy professional in India- working on specific US- India Policies, for over a decade. This Course helped me learn/ reinforce many ideas and idealogies that will help broaden my thinking horizon- and approach towards domestic and multinational public policies ( making and implementation).

Thank You!

By Joshua N

Aug 31, 2015

Covered a variety of interesting topics. But perhaps more importantly, advanced a sorely-needed spirit of optimism in today's political climate.

By Ismail A

Apr 25, 2016

This is a great subject to understand the public policy challenges of the 21st century. Thanks so much!

By Manya N

Jul 28, 2017

I really liked the course.

By Alisher J

Sep 07, 2015

This course was higly informative. Throughout this course, new things will be learned and lessons are pretty understandable.

What I like most about this course, is that there were actual students, asking questions, which put me into atmosphere of real university.

Thank you, Professor Warburg and all the staff and lecturers that were invited!

By Latagia C

Jul 17, 2017

I loved this course. I learned a lot and got to see things that I probably wouldn't have ever been able to otherwise. Not only was the course informational and enlightening, it was also extremely empowering. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in policy, public service, or government.

By Rosa E J S

Oct 13, 2015

T

By Eliana N

Jun 15, 2017

A thought provoking course that has peaked my interest in public policy. The time commitment was manageable and the material covered was informative. I highly recommend this course for those considering a major in public policy.

By Mahitha S L

Sep 15, 2017

Throughly enjoyed the course

By John W

Dec 29, 2015

Quality speakers and current topics with good discussion

By Stacey H

May 28, 2018

Truly an excellent course with a diverse selection of topics and speakers. I was blown away. However, I am doing this in 2018. Given the drastic changes in American Politics since the November 2016 elections, which is causing tectonic shifts in global policy issues, this course needs to be URGENTLY updated. By the way, I am NOT an American citizen.

By Manuel O A

Nov 04, 2015

This was a wonderful course, it debates the future of the world in different aspects: social, political, economics, war, health and other big challenges the humanity will have to deal with.

By George H

Sep 07, 2016

Excellent course, which provides an in-depth analysis of various crucial topics of public policy challenges.

By José d J D L C G

Oct 29, 2015

Excelllent teacher and course. Congratulations!!

By Stephen W

Oct 19, 2015

This course gives a lot of new ideas and concepts, along with good discussions on key topics facing public policy and those whom want to make or be involved in it. I have studied by myself for the FSOT, but this course I believe is instrumental in my self-education on political science- public policy. I think all people should take such a course not for their career but for better understanding foreign and domestic policies, and getting into more intellectual debates not like on social media sites.

By Conor D

Jan 06, 2016

Great course. As a non-American student, I found that this course enhanced my understanding of American political discourse as well as the stated goals of describing the likely policy challenges of the 21st century.

By Thomas C

Jun 23, 2017

At this point, the "Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century" course is one-of-a-kind innovative effort to provide an overview of the field and what a MPP program might look like for people interested in tackling public policy issues. The Batten School is leading the way on this and I hope to visit the program in person in the fall. I also hope to see more like it on Coursera in the future.

By Steven U

Feb 11, 2016

Amazingly produced and thought out course. They ​utilize some of the top field specialists and provide video lectures in a creative and thorough way.

By Dan E

Oct 25, 2016

great course.

By Azis I

Aug 31, 2016

Great and interesting course!

By Suriya A H

Mar 17, 2016

Coming from a construction background with no policy work whatsoever besides personal interest, it was amazing to be able to understand the message that the speakers were conveying. Besides some cluelessness on the US senate system, every other topic was relevant to international audiences.

Best part was the weekly schedule that was recently in place, it help to keep pace on progress as sometimes it feels overwhelming as we try to answer every question that was posted after each video.

By Arturo A C L

Sep 30, 2015

Great course

By Ross M

Sep 18, 2015

One word: Enthralling.

More words: The UVa Program is showing strength with this course, only three weeks in and enjoying it immensely.