Back to Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century by University of Virginia

This course introduces class participants to the political significance and societal consequences of challenges facing U.S. and international policymakers. It is designed to help participants develop skills to analyze policy proposals and advocate for their preferred options for issues on the public policy agenda ahead. The class assumes basic knowledge about governing institutions and democratic processes, while recommending supplemental materials for further study to complement reading links provided. The course focuses on future policy challenges, while examining the broad historical context in which policies are adopted and implemented. As the course evaluates how issues are advanced by private sector interests, non-governmental organizations, and government policymakers, it examines how groups become effective policy advocates. Particular attention is paid to how winning coalitions are formed and how issue framing shapes the outcome of policy campaigns. The goal is neither to produce partisan talking points, nor to favor one governance philosophy over others. Rather it is to clarify the public policy challenges ahead and to enhance participants’ understanding of how policy options are adopted in the real world arena of contemporary politics. This course will be officially closing on November 5, 2021 and all course work must be completed by May 15, 2022 to be graded....

TA
Sep 26, 2019

To know the "Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century" is more essential for the global people in this era. Thanks for the opportunity. I hope it will give a concise idea to learn on it...

GM
Apr 23, 2020

This course does not focus on any partisan interest but rather inspires you to think deeply, challenges you to reason beyond the status quo, and empowers you with the tools to make an impact!

51 - 75 of 332 Reviews for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

By Joshua A

Jan 25, 2021

The Course without a shadow of doubt exceeded my expectation........I now, through this Course have the basic footings to participate in the Public Policy space in my country and across the globe........I will urge Professor Gerry Warburg to work on updating the Course to reflect current happenings............

By Marianne P

Jul 27, 2020

A fascinating overview of public policy's current and future challenges. As a political science major I was familiar with some of the topics, but it was intriguing to learn more about policy and hear from experts. The weekly course load is not overwhelming but still educational, which was certainly a plus.

By James H

May 16, 2018

Thoroughly enjoyed and learnt so much. Although not based in the US I was able to learn a lot that can be applied in my own country. A fantastic course with brilliant guest speakers. I also want to thank Professor Warburg who presented really well and made the whole course educational but not overwhelming.

By Masood A L

Aug 26, 2015

"Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century" is the nice course for understanding the political and healthcare system of United Stated, before passing this course i was very bit aware of the healthcare system of the US but now i feel that i have know how of Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century.

By Vivi F

Jun 14, 2020

My first Coursera course and I really enjoyed it and have learned a lot. Was engaging and challenged me a bit too. Given the rapid rate of change (in the US and globally) it would be great to have an updated version of this course to account for Trump's election and the chaos of Corona virus.

By Nimesh B O

Apr 20, 2020

I want to thank the University of Virginia for an insightful and great course. Also, many thanks to Prof. Gerry Warburg for such curated content. I would love to join The Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy in an MPP program. It was an exciting journey overall.

By Sreejith E K

Feb 3, 2016

This course provides me a wider idea about the public policy and the future challenges. The discussions and the sharing ideas really help me to understand the core issues. I am really thankful to Professor Gerry Warburg and the entire team, to provide us a wonderful platform.

By Carole A N

Dec 10, 2015

This was a tremendous course! It really helped me foresee the challenges left ahead for we, the current 21st century youths , whether in the US or elsewhere; as they are transnational in scope. It also gave me the tools to address those challenges more confidently. Thank you!

By Madeleine B

Sep 3, 2015

Fantastic and informative. At times, a little irrelevant or confusing to international students (the President can do what?), but the core message and information of the course are universal, fascinating and vital to our collective and individual future. Highly recommended.

By Camila A

Jan 4, 2019

This course posed some very interesting questions about the challenges ahead of us. The variety of experienced guest speakers made it very enriching, and, despite it being very U.S.-oriented, I believe powerful lessons can be learned for those of us in other countries.

By Apoorva A K

Feb 9, 2019

Best Public Policy course I have come across!! Wonderful teaching and discussions. Very informative and educative. even the quiz seemed to be challenging. definitely must take for everyone wanting to pursue a career/education in public sphere anywhere around the world

By Urs B

Apr 1, 2017

Thanks for the very helpful and classy introduction into some of the most pressing policy issues. It helped me to learn about the US issues but also to reflect how these issues spill over to issues with have in the rest of the world and my home country Switzerland.

By Valentina C R

Aug 6, 2020

I really loved the course, thank you for this incredible opportunity of listening and learning from such incredible personalities. I really loved the topics, everything was clear. I expect sometime I could go to the University of Virginia and learn more from them.

By Ken f

Mar 15, 2021

Loved the course. I learned so much about policy and policy making that I never truly understood before. Thank you for putting this course together. With that said, after the last 4 years and the 2020 election I think the class would benefit from a course update.

By tehmina n

Dec 17, 2020

I have thoroughly enjoyed the course.

All the gust speakers gave us a deep insight into challenges of public policy ahead .

we got better awareness on US domestic challenges as well as Global and transnational issues.

It is definitely a worthwhile course to attend.

By Abhinav A

Jul 11, 2020

One of the best courses I have every attended. Really well designed and executed. Sitting in India and going through he course still made so much sense and showed how we are all bound together in this struggle to build a better future for humanity!

By Aditya V

Dec 14, 2020

Really helpful course if you are interested in understanding the mechanisms of governance, diplomacy and internal security in diverse political institutions. Also, the course drives the student to approach the ultimate truth of life - 'Change'.

By Temilade A

May 23, 2020

Public Policy challenges are provided in a clear and simple manner. I love the lectures. And beyond public policy, the course also provides insight into leadership and how the 21st century youths can prepare to tackle future policy issues.

By Kayla B H

Sep 11, 2020

Very Comprehensive material presented. The presenters were very knowledgeable and their first hand experience made me more interested in the material presented. I look forward to more courses presented by the University. Great experience.

By Thomas O

Aug 26, 2015

Great class. I wish they had more classes related to PP from UVA. I greatly enjoyed the lectures, the readings and the whole process. There are so many areas of PP. I hope UVA will continue to produce classes with focus on those PP areas.

By Vivek V

Thoroughly enjoyed the entire sessions. All the speakers were amazing with huge experience. The sessions were enriching. I feel the learnings will help me ion addressing my day to day business as usual work in a much better manner.

By Eliana N

Jun 14, 2017

A thought provoking course that has peaked my interest in public policy. The time commitment was manageable and the material covered was informative. I highly recommend this course for those considering a major in public policy.

By ONKAR V D

Sep 19, 2020

A very helpful and an important subject that most individuals need to pay attention to. Most of the data and information are very relevant to what is happening in the globe and the current changes in policies in various sectors

By Olubunmi A

Jun 2, 2021

Quite revealing and informative.

Practical real life issues were discussed by guests speakers/ subject experts who have applied knowledge being taught in their everyday lives - in White House, Congress, Local authorities, etc.

By Conor D

Jan 6, 2016

Great course. As a non-American student, I found that this course enhanced my understanding of American political discourse as well as the stated goals of describing the likely policy challenges of the 21st century.