Back to Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century by University of Virginia

This course introduces class participants to the political significance and societal consequences of challenges facing U.S. and international policymakers. It is designed to help participants develop skills to analyze policy proposals and advocate for their preferred options for issues on the public policy agenda ahead. The class assumes basic knowledge about governing institutions and democratic processes, while recommending supplemental materials for further study to complement reading links provided. The course focuses on future policy challenges, while examining the broad historical context in which policies are adopted and implemented. As the course evaluates how issues are advanced by private sector interests, non-governmental organizations, and government policymakers, it examines how groups become effective policy advocates. Particular attention is paid to how winning coalitions are formed and how issue framing shapes the outcome of policy campaigns. The goal is neither to produce partisan talking points, nor to favor one governance philosophy over others. Rather it is to clarify the public policy challenges ahead and to enhance participants’ understanding of how policy options are adopted in the real world arena of contemporary politics....

VA

May 03, 2019

This was an excellent introduction. I wish there could have been a greater opportunity for personal engagement with faculty, but I understand the platform makes it very difficult.

AJ

Nov 26, 2016

I loved the focus of this course, its future orientation and the way debates around an issue were discussed in-depth and very well in limited time. Loved It! Highly Recommend it!

76 - 100 of 145 Reviews for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

By RoobeerToo H

Sep 24, 2015

Es un curso excelente, aunque algunos temas están dirigidos hacia alumnos con pretensiones de ejercer en Estados Unidos, la mayoría de los temas pueden ser interpretados y utilizados en otros lugares, en mi caso México, soy estudiante de Derecho y estoy haciendo mis prácticas profesionales en el Consulado General de México en Nueva York y encontré esta opción para seguir estudiando, seguir preparándome para aplicar los distintos conocimientos en las políticas públicas de mi país.

Muchas gracias a los colaboradores de este curso, les felicito y espero que tengan más cursos disponibles.

Atte. Roberto Herrera

By Kedarnath A

Jan 10, 2016

awesome lectures!

By Ismail A

Apr 25, 2016

This is a great subject to understand the public policy challenges of the 21st century. Thanks so much!

By David R P Z

Apr 24, 2017

Excellent Course

By Manya N

Jul 28, 2017

I really liked the course.

By Tawni M

Sep 29, 2015

It has provided me the knowledge and hope to be able to stay on top of local and federal government. The course was easily accessible and with the ability to go at my own pace to research, daily tasks and disability; I was able to successfully gain the knowledge I have desired for so long. Thank UVA and Frank Batton for providing this opportunity and gift of knowledge.

By Akash K

Aug 27, 2015

Amazing!

By Latagia C

Jul 17, 2017

I loved this course. I learned a lot and got to see things that I probably wouldn't have ever been able to otherwise. Not only was the course informational and enlightening, it was also extremely empowering. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone who is interested in policy, public service, or government.

By Drew H K

Mar 11, 2018

The quality of the guest speakers and topics of discussion far surpassed my expectations.

By Rosa E J S

Oct 13, 2015

T

By Eliana N

Jun 15, 2017

A thought provoking course that has peaked my interest in public policy. The time commitment was manageable and the material covered was informative. I highly recommend this course for those considering a major in public policy.

By Matthew B

Jun 06, 2017

I very much appreciated how this course was taught and enjoyed listening to different speakers offer their views on the issues presented in the class. This course taught me how to think from other political points of view and helped me understand the problems that my generation faces. In my opinion, the best part of this class was the focus on learning to work with people with different political views. With the hyper-partisanship we have today in Washington and all the frustration that comes with it, this perspective was very refreshing. The only thing that I think could be improved is the length, as I thought it was too short. While I am aware that the course was designed this way, I wanted to learn more about some of the issues that were left out. Overall, this was a very interesting class!

By Victor T

Sep 29, 2016

E

By Nadim A C

Aug 30, 2016

Excellent

By Ambika K

Jan 27, 2018

Fantastic Learning! I am a Public Policy professional in India- working on specific US- India Policies, for over a decade. This Course helped me learn/ reinforce many ideas and idealogies that will help broaden my thinking horizon- and approach towards domestic and multinational public policies ( making and implementation).

Thank You!

By Mahitha S L

Sep 15, 2017

Throughly enjoyed the course

By David H

Mar 23, 2017

A great course with valuable insights into public policy challenges faces now and in the future.

By John W

Dec 29, 2015

Quality speakers and current topics with good discussion

By Richard C

Sep 15, 2015

Excellent course, very rewarding.

By Lindsay C

Dec 04, 2015

Loved this class so much!!!!!

By Tessa W

Oct 15, 2017

I wish the class was longer. I learned so much and loved the guest lectures.

By Ismael C

Jul 16, 2017

Thank you for the opportunity to continue learning Public Policy. Thanks also to Professor Warburg for teaching and sharing an elegant class.

By Khaled N

Aug 13, 2018

Great Course. Would be positive if more international related material/ examples are included.

By jared B

Oct 20, 2018

This course was extremely interesting and I am glad that the Frank Batten School of Public Policy and Leadership decided to have this course open to the general public.

By Kamal S