Back to Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century by University of Virginia

This course introduces class participants to the political significance and societal consequences of challenges facing U.S. and international policymakers. It is designed to help participants develop skills to analyze policy proposals and advocate for their preferred options for issues on the public policy agenda ahead. The class assumes basic knowledge about governing institutions and democratic processes, while recommending supplemental materials for further study to complement reading links provided. The course focuses on future policy challenges, while examining the broad historical context in which policies are adopted and implemented. As the course evaluates how issues are advanced by private sector interests, non-governmental organizations, and government policymakers, it examines how groups become effective policy advocates. Particular attention is paid to how winning coalitions are formed and how issue framing shapes the outcome of policy campaigns. The goal is neither to produce partisan talking points, nor to favor one governance philosophy over others. Rather it is to clarify the public policy challenges ahead and to enhance participants’ understanding of how policy options are adopted in the real world arena of contemporary politics....

TA

Sep 27, 2019

To know the "Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century" is more essential for the global people in this era. Thanks for the opportunity. I hope it will give a concise idea to learn on it...

GM

Apr 24, 2020

This course does not focus on any partisan interest but rather inspires you to think deeply, challenges you to reason beyond the status quo, and empowers you with the tools to make an impact!

201 - 225 of 226 Reviews for Public Policy Challenges of the 21st Century

Feb 15, 2016

Great discussions!

By HARSHITA M

Jun 17, 2020

good

By Manoj K S

Dec 17, 2019

good

By Sjoerd J K

Dec 21, 2015

Interesting lecture series. The lectures are largely America centered with courses on presidential war powers, the functioning of governors. In this lectures the main focus is rather politics than policy. Although very interesting, the lecture series does not really live up to its title.

By Philip B

May 04, 2020

The course content was good, as well as the choice of speakers. However, the course itself is a bit dated in regards to current political evolutions (Trump election 2016 and its impact on the US positioning in the world, evolutions in the relationship between the US and China).

By Shant B

The course could have used more interactive elements, such as asking online students to answer some of the long-form questions that the in-class students seem to have been asked. (Though I understand that this is not always reasonable to grade)

By Eena V

Sep 09, 2016

While U.S. politics is important for many other disciplines, this course didn't have that much depth in my opinion to really be applicable on demands of international student and point of view. Still, very interesting lectures and good talks.

By RAJ S

Apr 14, 2020

This course touches eclectic aspects of public policy. My primary are of interest is health policy and I am happy with the kind of discussion flowing in that domain. Though much can be improved, from content delivery to suggested readings.

By Alix B

Oct 19, 2016

There were some great lectures included in this course, but the emphasis on the content we were not receiving was a bit disheartening. I would have loved to view more of the controversial lectures that were referenced in the wrap-up.

By Pratyush K P

Jun 01, 2020

The speakers were great. I learn a lot from the course. But issues were more america centric. It would have bee better if the course would have a global perspective. Thank You.

By Mustafa A

Sep 06, 2019

the subjects has a lot of good of terms and information, however, I am not form US and many things are not related to my country interest. thank you

By Ankur S

Mar 23, 2019

It's a good course but as the discussions are centered around the USA, it might not be that relevant to students from other countries.

By Donovon K

Jun 09, 2017

Interesting introduction to United States public policy. I wish though that it was more academically rigorous!

By Roshan K

Oct 01, 2019

Its a great course but its validity in Indian context is questionable.

By Sahana J

Aug 06, 2018

Very U.S centric. Would be good to have a global perspective

By Neha S

A few more lectures please...want to learn more

By Ananya S

May 22, 2020

Greetings! I'm an Indian student taking this course hoping to join the Indian Civil Services. Firstly I'd like to thank you for this is excellent course. My favourite part was the discussion with Dee Dee Myers, I could listen to her speak all day and also Senator Tim Kaine. Sadly the course did not live upto my expectations. Please seriously consider my feedback, especially the areas where I thought you could improve in:Tye course gave only an American perspectiveTitle should have been: Public Policy Challenges in USANon-American students are not able to understand it as we don't have the contextAlmost zero examples from other countries & culturesSome students like me need to switch on subtitles to be able to clearly understand the content being spoken so I wasn't able to read and understand the questions or statements that you're showing in the video at the bottom. I believe the way you're presenting questions after the video ends is a better way.You can learn a lot from Yale University's course "Moral Foundations of politics" available on coursera

By Heather A

Sep 15, 2015

This is the third Coursera course I have completed. I am nearing completion on two others. I had high expectations for this one but it was the only one I have been disappointed in. In comparison with other MOOCs I've participated in which have clearly been designed with online delivery and audience in mind, the format of this MOOC was not engaging. It's also baffling that they would spend nine weeks on public policy in the 21st century and only include one female speaker and not a single person of colour. The 21st century at the University of Virginia must look quite different from the 21st century where I am. There was also a lot institutional promoting of the University of Virginia / Batten School itself which I haven't experienced in other courses. While I did find some of the speakers and subject matter to be of interest, I had hoped for more from this MOOC.

By Justin D

Sep 13, 2015

This class would do well to have supplemental or required readings and much more difficult quizzes. I think it would be possible to have one's wisdom teeth removed and complete this course on a binge-watching spree while on pain killers. That shouldn't be possible. Good lecturers, though.

By Nynke v D

Jan 31, 2016

Primarily focused on US politics and the US policy system. Discusses mostly the problems with the US system of governance and it therefore not really useful for international viewers.

By Sang Y D

Apr 02, 2016

This course is NOT free to submit test results.

By Tooba K

Sep 09, 2015

Did not like the course, complicated concepts and poor representation. ( i still really really appreciate the efforts of those who put it together with their hard work)