Back to Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction by Wesleyan University

The goal of the course is to introduce students to Python Version 3.x programming using hands on instruction. It will show how to install Python and use the Spyder IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for writing and debugging programs. The approach will be to present an example followed by a small exercise where the learner tries something similar to solidify a concept. At the end of each module there will be an exercise where the student is required to write simple programs and submit them for grading. It is intended for students with little or no programming background, although students with such a background should be able to move forward at their preferred pace. The course is four modules long and is designed to be completed in four weeks....

LR
Jan 3, 2017

Quite interesting introduction to Python, focusing on the most important components of the language. Looking forward to other courses using the same format. Thank you Bill and team for your hard work.

HI
Nov 24, 2020

It was my first experience with Python and I enjoyed it very much! A lot of thanks to Instructor and all team, who made this course so interest and understandable. Thanks to Coursera team as well.

1 - 25 of 1,261 Reviews for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

By Peter K

Dec 10, 2017

I opened and started this course because I was searching for a Python courses. I somehow misunderstood the fact that this course is for "beginner programmers" and not "beginners in Python" (could be just simply me, I am new to Coursera). I am already a skilled programmer with more than 10 years of commercial practice. And I have some reasons to review this course poorly. If I'd be a beginner programmer, this course is not bringing some real life problems and not explaining their solutions and how to solve it in computer program. Such an example is crucial for beginner programmers. Padding output in a string with spaces is just a waste of time. Implementing a console program with menu in infinite loop and reading from and writing to a CSV file, which is called a "database", was fancy maybe 20 years ago. I don't think this course is teaching much about Python nor is bringing a beginner programmer any further. It's 21st century, IT world is full of millions of technologies, and pure Python is not going to help in real life on it's own. Explaining more about data structures, some basic but important programming principles, involving a real database for data persistence, some real life problems and their solutions, even if one or two more weeks would be needed to finish the course, and it could get on a completely different level.

By Sergio A

Dec 31, 2017

It is well done but it is very basic. The method is good since we get the basic programs to work with them and follow the lectures. The instructor explains things in a detailed and clear manner.

By Mehmet M A

Jun 19, 2019

This course is useful for three groups of people. In the first group, there are people who don't know any programming: the course provides the programming essentials in Python. Python is one of the best, if not the best, languages to learn programming. In the second group are people who learned programming long ago but haven't used until know. For the second group, of which I was a member until recently, the course serves as a refresher that comes with a modern and widely used language. In the third group, there are active programmers who want to switch to Python. The course can help these grasp and use Python quickly.

By Brandon G

Dec 12, 2016

This course was pretty okay, I'd say. I did learn several new things and consider myself "introduced" to the world of python. Unfortunately, as a BRAND NEW programmer, it was, at times hard to keep up. There were a number of elements that weren't sufficiently explained during the lessons/assignments (presumably because we 'should' have a basic understanding of coding already...I guess?). If this is the case, some outside study/background research may be necessary, at times. The instructor was actually relatively helpful, though the forum format makes for lag in help time, meaning you could be stuck on a problem or with a question for a while (again...outside study/research required). Overall, as I said, I learned things- yay! This course is for the very patient, however, and may likely by too simplistic for those with programming experience, too difficult for those who have never coded or maybe just right for some lucky few.

By Lucas R

Jan 4, 2017

By Ana L

Jun 9, 2018

Very basic Python intro. Will teach you most of the basics, but I personally expected a bit more in-depth learning. The course will be definitely useful for people who have never programmed before but to those familiar with some other programming languages it will likely be too easy.Another problem was auto-grader, because of formatting issues in some cases it was very difficult to get the result to look like the auto-grader expected it to. It would help if auto-grader returned more helpful messages, for example showing what lines of the submission output have mismatched the expected.Overall, the course is a good intro to Python, recommended for those with no prior experience in programming.

By Radanielson T

Jul 7, 2019

it is horrible

By Pragna P H

Feb 2, 2020

Excellent structure of the course. Bill sir is extremely knowledgeable and patient with all doubts & inquiries regarding the course or python in general. The course is highly recommended for anyone wanting to learn the language and start their data analytical journey. The tests at the end of each week is perfectly designed for a beginner and well-balanced with a good amount of learning all the right things to get started with python programming. Happy leaning! And of course, don't hesitate to make mistakes, always try out the lesson exercises on your own before watching the videos so you know how to tackle and get to know your strengths & weaknesses better :)

By Jim M

May 24, 2019

I could have asked Quora if a retired engineer can learn Python for data analysis. But enter this course concise and practice to answer the question by myself. And I was able to understand, practice and learn with the method of this course, which I indicated as suitable to start at any age. I got 92.5 % !

By Kumar A

Jun 16, 2019

A very nice introduction to Python 3 programming. The course lectures are quite engaging with hands-on practice and the programming assignments revise the learned concepts in step-by-step manner.

By Abhinay T

Jun 3, 2019

The course is good to learn python for students starting programming but for a student who has experience in other languages may find it slow......

By Shawn M

Oct 15, 2019

Good basic course, but a bit clunky. Some of the weekly courses would place critical details at later points of the course and I would have to go back and repeat lessons.

There were also parts that I would get hung up on and need person to person discussion to get past. It would be helpful to have a chat function or other forum to discuss sections (maybe a class discussion forum, or an 'ask an instructor).

By Jake R M

Sep 7, 2019

This was an excellently written and excellently delivered course for the programming beginner or even someone who wants to brush up their skills with the basics! I always thought I was hopeless with programming but this course has convinced me that when it is taught well and I understand the fundamentals I can push myself to do bigger and even more exciting things with my understanding! I loved how this course made me see the problem solving aspect of computer science and has given me a legitimate interest in adding Data Science as a career choice.

Thanks so much to Bill for his hard work and excellence in responding to questions on the discussion forum! The dedication was amazing to see.

By Cesar D L J

Jul 29, 2020

Un curso muy completo y bien explicado

Muy buenas las clases y además las tareas son divertidas, te ponen a pensar pero aprendes mucho.

El instructor es muy atento y resuelve tus inquietudes.

Recomiendo este curso además de que este conocimiento es muy importante.

////

A very complete and well-explained course

The classes are very good and the tasks are also fun, they make you think but you learn a lot.

The instructor is very attentive and solves your concerns.

I recommend this course in addition to that this knowledge is very important.

By Ryan C

Great overview course in python. I was super excited it uses Spyder. The auto-grader is finicky sometimes, but fair and quick. Highly suggest this for anyone looking to cut their teeth on python.

By Helen I

Nov 25, 2020

By Mick C

Nov 11, 2018

A well paced intro, lots of examples to show you the way

By Mira91

Jul 17, 2017

Python's not my first programming language so I skipped all videos, did the exercises on my own and then completed the programming assignments. I liked the beginning of this course, but the end, especially week 4, was no fun. Exercises were not engaging and I finished the final programming assignment within 5 minutes. That was disappointing.

By Pathgeek

Feb 22, 2018

By the end of the course I was picking up on the instructor's style-- it felt less like a course and more like looking over your uncle's shoulder when he worked on the car (or computer). The last week was a big jump from the prior weeks. The instructor uses spyder3 screenshots which are often hard to see.

By Sergio

Jan 28, 2017

As per Oxford Dictionary:

concise / adjective

giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive

This course: really brief; not that clear nor well-structured; not nearly comprehensive.

Is it at all possible to be both brief and comprehensive when teaching programming?

By Don S

Jul 11, 2017

I feel it was a bit to easy. As long as you followed the lectures and maybe looked at documentation it was straight forward. It really didn't make you think about how/why you were doing what you were doing. Far better beginner courses on here from U of M and Dr. Chuck

By Heide S

Oct 17, 2016

a good course, especially as an introduction to Python 3

biggest drawback: assignment autograding - if something fails, you do not know what fails, only that it fails (no info about test cases and results; negligible feedback from TAs)

By John C W

Dec 4, 2016

A quick introduction, just what I was looking for.

By Zaid A

Jun 1, 2018

the course is not very interesting and the assignments are very easy, they are not challenging

By Jack O

Aug 7, 2019

The course doesn't go deep enough, even for an introductory.