Back to Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction by Wesleyan University

The goal of the course is to introduce students to Python Version 3.x programming using hands on instruction. It will show how to install Python and use the Spyder IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for writing and debugging programs. The approach will be to present an example followed by a small exercise where the learner tries something similar to solidify a concept. At the end of each module there will be an exercise where the student is required to write simple programs and submit them for grading. It is intended for students with little or no programming background, although students with such a background should be able to move forward at their preferred pace. The course is four modules long and is designed to be completed in four weeks....

LR
Jan 3, 2017

Quite interesting introduction to Python, focusing on the most important components of the language. Looking forward to other courses using the same format. Thank you Bill and team for your hard work.

HI
Nov 24, 2020

It was my first experience with Python and I enjoyed it very much! A lot of thanks to Instructor and all team, who made this course so interest and understandable. Thanks to Coursera team as well.

26 - 50 of 1,262 Reviews for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

By Vu M D

Feb 12, 2017

Very boring

By Connie B

Aug 2, 2020

It's likely to be me because I'm old, but this was a terrible first experience. The first video (hard to see) modeled the first steps that were wrong because the program has been changed. But the document at the beginning of the course about changes makes little sense until you are in the exercises and have to deal with that issue. Put those changes in the documentation where the issue is found! Better yet, update the videos when the lesson they display has substantively changed.

The forums were hard for me to figure out too. An introduction on how to navigate the course (overview, lessons, messages, forums, timelines) might have helped.

If anyone is overseeing this, maybe you could monitor the forums to see how many people are having the same problems, hint: fix the problems!

By Benedict B

The course is much harder than advertised for beginners with little computer experience. While the lecture videos are easy to follow, they do not directly correspond to the updated python software, or to users on a mac. Downloading assignments is also extremely difficult as they never popped up in the manner they were to said to, which led to increased difficulty and frustration in the getting started process. After spending hours on the introduction exercises and having no luck in replicating the lecture videos, I will be looking for other courses that will better teach me python, rather than pulling my hair out during the set up process.

By Malcomb M

Apr 5, 2018

Content was OK for beginning Python, and I liked the Spyder IDE a lot -- but audio and graphic quality were atrocious, probably the worst I've ever encountered in a university sponsored course. Fingers pounding on keyboard and poor voice quality reflect a lack of proper recording equipment. Tiny print on screens made it un-viewable on many devices, even in full-screen mode, from tablets to 50" TV that I sit 10 ft away from!

By James J

Jun 16, 2017

English is my mother tongue, but I have a difficult time understanding the speaker. Also I have great difficulty in following his cursor, which he moves at a very high rate of speed. This is one of the poorest courses I have taken. I dropped out and hope to find something far better.

By Gerald V

Nov 6, 2016

For a beginners course I would expect more exercises about the different control structures and built-in mechanisms in Python. This course did not really provide a good story to follow through but jumped around between loops, inputs, number conversions, file I/O and so forth.

By Prasad K

Apr 1, 2019

Totally disappointing course. Very hard to follow what the instructor is saying or trying to teach. Tough to say who the target audience for the course is.

By chengxiaoxue

May 8, 2017

I like the content of this course. But the way of delivering is confusing and boring. Sometimes I lost the logic of video.

By D

Nov 8, 2020

Not Introduction ... AT ALL

By Özlem Y

Sep 26, 2020

I want to quit this course

By Vincent C

Jun 23, 2020

Very good course! I went from not even knowing what Python was to being able to write my own functions and learn about the programs. The video tutorials are pretty straightforward and instructions were provided so that even if you have newer versions of spyder and python, you can still do the coursework. The graded assessments truly tested your skills in Python. Though some problems seemed very simple and similar to those that appeared in the lessons, many were quite difficult and involved critical thinking and problem solving. You have access to all the code used in the lesson exercises which make the graded assessments easier to complete and follow along with. Although this course is listed as four weeks, it can definitely be completed by a determined learner in much shorter time so don't shy away from it due to the listed four week commitment if you think that is too long. Once again, great course and I recommend it for teens (not just teens but all ages can gain something from this) looking into computer science and programming.

By Monson M

Nov 29, 2017

A Truly For-Beginner Python Programming Course.

I've tried and given up several Python courses meant for beginners. What I found was they were anything but. Exercises required knowledge of syntax not covered in lecture. I had to google here and there just to find the right one to do the exercises. It was frustrating. In one course, the second week exercise was to create a tic-tac-toe table(!!). It was unimaginable just how to begin, let alone to code.

This one is different. Each lecture begins with a run of the function to be discussed to see how the output looks like. This gives us an idea what we're going into. Then we cover the programming part. As the lecture moves along, we can simultaneously play with the Spyder, step-by-step to experience what the lecture is about. The weekly exercises are just the adaptation of that week's content. This keeps a beginner like me to stay on course, not being intimidated by the out-of-the-world questions. Well done Bill. You are the best.

By Matt O

Jul 16, 2020

I have attempted to learn programming numerous times. I've tried to learn Java Script, C, Python, Java, and HTML all within the past few years. Each time I've lost interest. This time, under the tutelage of Professor Bill Boyd, I have finally finished a course and I can say that I am captivated with Python.

Dr. Boyd, thank you so much for reinvigorating what I thought I had lost. You have given me the basic understanding of surface level programming in Python. I can confidently say that I will continue this journey.

For those of you reading this and wondering why this program worked for me... here is my answer: I finally sat down and took notes. The course is structured on videos and exercises. I took notes on syntax, coding tricks, and functions that I knew I would forget. Now I have over 40 pages of notes that I can reference with future challenges. My journey has just begun. I encourage the reader, you, to begin yours now.

By Adam W

Jan 16, 2021

Very quick, introductory course to Python. It took me less than four days to complete, but everything was nice and to the point. I took the "Google - Crash Course On Python" course here on Coursera which I also enjoyed (and was like watching a Hollywood movie compared to a movie shot on a cell phone), however I felt that course went from me understanding what I was doing to "I have no idea what is happening" towards the end of the course. I think having taken the Google course first, made me understand this course quite easily. What I really like from this course is how the instructor helps you get a Python editor set up on your computer to run scripts as well as how to run Python programs from within the terminal. I'm looking forward to continuing my learning of the Python language after being able to grasp the basics that were introduced in both of the courses mentioned.

By John S

Mar 24, 2017

Pros: I liked the programming examples and problems approach. I learned a lot, and feel confident to use python in future for more complicated scientific computing.

cons: The videos were too long, and I found I had all the info in the examples. I would have liked more guidance on how to build up simple structured programmes - the final assignment you have a giant programme already built, whereas you could have set some exercises for "split this code into two subroutines that handle different jobs".

The autograder was really frustrating (sorry, I know it must be difficult to make something fair and automatic), but the great thing about a compiler or running a program is that you get to see the errors. The autograder just says "3 errors", and the problem turns out to be nothing to do with my program, which already produces the desired output.

By Federico V

Sep 8, 2018

I am studying Systems Engineering at a university in Argentina, quite one of the most pretigious and important around here. I can tell the difference between "good" and "bad" teaching, and I have some experience in the subject. Took a course in C, and keep on learning.

This course is just GREAT. Simplicity in the explanations, which are straight forward, complemented with accuracy and clear examples is, by far, an indeed marvellous recipe to teach Python. I have some background, and I understand that if I hadn't, I would have learned the same way.

I am deepfully grateful for this course, to Coursera and specially to the teacher. Keep on doing this, developers around the world will be better after taking this one; and the ones that just start will become quite proficient really quick.

Excellent! Thanks!

By Matthew E

Nov 22, 2017

I found this course very useful indeed. I had previously learned programming in Java but in a very formal fashion and without ever really producing anything that made sense. I wanted to learn Python as I consistently come up against references to it in my work. I found Bill's approach to be very engaging and with a sensible series of steps to improve my confidence. Personally, I would have preferred more of a hands on 'project' at the end, rather than watching Bill work through it. Weirdly I found the final assessment to be the easiest, but I still learned a ton and look forward to finding a course that builds on my new skills. If you are looking to get a basic understanding of programming without getting hung up on terminology and structure and just see that you can do it, this is a a great course.

By Abhishek D

Jun 3, 2019

Had an amazing experience .It was my first time with learning on an online platform everything is very well designed thank you Coursera .The course will help me in my next semester.

The course is very well defined and covers all the necessary topics as a beginner in python I needed to learn . Assignments are relatively easier than I expected them to be .Great Instructor and Mentor . Everything was great all my queries and questions were answered . Discussion Forums also helped me a lot and I hop I also helped someone . Though I feel the course should be updated with using IDEs like IntelliJ ( I used it anyway but it wasn't a problem) .Thank You Wesleyan University for designing this course .Again Thank You very much.

By Tiras n w

Dec 14, 2018

The provisions of the course materials was awesome, in a excellent sequential order that enables the students to build the knowledge with coherence. Also the reminders and encouragement along the way was very instrumental, e.g. when commended for keeping a good pace with speed. The fact that you can also pick up the course later incase you wished to take a break and progress from your previous work is superb. Thanks mr. Bill Boyd ! The only challenge on the materials lied on: the videos were not of very good clarity, and also one basic area I found missing was on decision making functions even though they were a part of tools for use during the course.

By Hubert F

May 7, 2017

This is by far not my first programming course, but I wanted to learn python. As such, I found the selection of topics very good - first language basics then some libraries. The videos were a good addition. Coming from classical Unix/NetBSD, I do not use integrated development environments a lot (nor like them, per se), but I found Spyder a positive experience. Thanks esp. for that one! The grading of exercises was sometimes a bit picky, as it was not so clear what the grader was complaining about. More detailled feedback could help there. In general the automated grader is a VERY good thing, though. Thanks a lot for this learning experience!

By Mohammad Z

Mar 30, 2020

This was my first course in Python and I found it very interesting and important for newcomers. I learnt basically, the coding structure of Python. My skills in C++ help me in understanding the lectures. No doubt, the lectures are designed in a very nice way – easy to follow and understand. This course enables me to write a program in Python using; Libraries (os, sys, csv, random, statistics, etc.), Lists, Tuples, Dictionaries, Text and CSV Files, Functional Values, Sorting, Formatting, Statistics, and a Menu Driven Database Program.

I would like to thank Prof. Bill Boyd, his team and Coursera for providing a great learning environment.

By Christopher B

Jul 3, 2020

This was a great introductory course into pyhton prograamming and I highly recommend it for people who knows a little programming but hasn't tried python yet or learning a computer language for the first time. The assignment can be pretty challenging at times but nothing unreasonable. I went into this course after going through college and getting a bachelor's in computer science but my school never taught me Python for some reason(even though I already know Java programming fairly well). All in all I do recommend this course. It was great for someone like me who hasn't programmed in a while and to brush up on my skills.

By Francisco F

Nov 2, 2017

This is a great course for those who haven't coded in their lives but also for programmers who want a basic but sistematic introduction to the language. It reminded me of my first courses in programming and yet I found it to be a necessary step to master python (I knew the language before but never did a course on it) . If you already program you can finish this course very quickly.

Be careful when you do your programming assignments since the autograder expects exact responses but the professor explained everything very well step by step.

Thanks!

By Douglas P

Aug 11, 2017

Python Programming: A Concise Introduction is a great starter course for those wanting to learn Python. I had some experience with Python prior to taking this course but I found it to be a great refresher and even learned new some new tools within Python. One of my favorite aspects was that you're shown how to download, install and work within Anaconda and Spyder. It makes you feel as though you're actually taking steps towards developing useful tools with Python - because you are! I highly recommend this course.

By John P

Dec 23, 2017

Excellent and fun introduction

I found this a gentle return to programming after a break of nearly 25 years. New concepts were introduced logically without being overtaxing. The combination of videos, exercises and course tests ensured that these concepts sunk in and Bill thoughtfully added in a sprinkling of advice as to OS and version compatibility. On a personal note, Bill's delivery was very easy to follow and he and his team are very responsive to queries. I also found his diction refreshingly delightful.