Back to Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction by Wesleyan University

The goal of the course is to introduce students to Python Version 3.x programming using hands on instruction. It will show how to install Python and use the Spyder IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for writing and debugging programs. The approach will be to present an example followed by a small exercise where the learner tries something similar to solidify a concept. At the end of each module there will be an exercise where the student is required to write simple programs and submit them for grading. It is intended for students with little or no programming background, although students with such a background should be able to move forward at their preferred pace. The course is four modules long and is designed to be completed in four weeks. SPECIAL NOTE: Python Programming: A Concise Introduction course will close for new learner enrollment on 2/16/22. In order to earn a Course Certificate, you will need to complete all graded assignments by 8/16/22. If you are interested in earning a Course Certificate for this course, please upgrade or apply for Financial Aid by 8/16/22. If you are a Coursera for Business learner, you can continue to use your sponsored credit through that date....

LR
Jan 3, 2017

Quite interesting introduction to Python, focusing on the most important components of the language. Looking forward to other courses using the same format. Thank you Bill and team for your hard work.

TS
Nov 28, 2021

This course was amazing as well as was an interesting course.I have learnt a lot of new concepts and things with the help of Respected Sir Bill Boyd and looking forward for more such type of courses.

26 - 50 of 1,495 Reviews for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

By D

Nov 8, 2020

Not Introduction ... AT ALL

By Özlem Y

Sep 26, 2020

I want to quit this course

By Jake R M

Sep 7, 2019

This was an excellently written and excellently delivered course for the programming beginner or even someone who wants to brush up their skills with the basics! I always thought I was hopeless with programming but this course has convinced me that when it is taught well and I understand the fundamentals I can push myself to do bigger and even more exciting things with my understanding! I loved how this course made me see the problem solving aspect of computer science and has given me a legitimate interest in adding Data Science as a career choice.

Thanks so much to Bill for his hard work and excellence in responding to questions on the discussion forum! The dedication was amazing to see.

By Cesar D L J

Jul 29, 2020

Un curso muy completo y bien explicado

Muy buenas las clases y además las tareas son divertidas, te ponen a pensar pero aprendes mucho.

El instructor es muy atento y resuelve tus inquietudes.

Recomiendo este curso además de que este conocimiento es muy importante.

////

A very complete and well-explained course

The classes are very good and the tasks are also fun, they make you think but you learn a lot.

The instructor is very attentive and solves your concerns.

I recommend this course in addition to that this knowledge is very important.

By Mick C

Nov 11, 2018

A well paced intro, lots of examples to show you the way

By Mira91

Jul 17, 2017

Python's not my first programming language so I skipped all videos, did the exercises on my own and then completed the programming assignments. I liked the beginning of this course, but the end, especially week 4, was no fun. Exercises were not engaging and I finished the final programming assignment within 5 minutes. That was disappointing.

By Sergio

Jan 28, 2017

As per Oxford Dictionary:

concise / adjective

giving a lot of information clearly and in a few words; brief but comprehensive

This course: really brief; not that clear nor well-structured; not nearly comprehensive.

Is it at all possible to be both brief and comprehensive when teaching programming?

By Don S

Jul 11, 2017

I feel it was a bit to easy. As long as you followed the lectures and maybe looked at documentation it was straight forward. It really didn't make you think about how/why you were doing what you were doing. Far better beginner courses on here from U of M and Dr. Chuck

By Heide S

Oct 17, 2016

a good course, especially as an introduction to Python 3

biggest drawback: assignment autograding - if something fails, you do not know what fails, only that it fails (no info about test cases and results; negligible feedback from TAs)

By John C W

Dec 4, 2016

A quick introduction, just what I was looking for.

By Zaid A

Jun 1, 2018

the course is not very interesting and the assignments are very easy, they are not challenging

By Vu M D

Feb 12, 2017

Very boring

By Krishna B

Jul 10, 2017

The course covers topics are covered well - It is hard to hear, the programming assignments are annoying, as you have to match exact output to the letter. There are better Python courses.

By Karl K

Oct 15, 2016

One could learn as much from any of many texts. This course does not add value

By Alex Z

Jul 23, 2017

mediocre teaching programs with extremely strict requirement for homework

By hadaway c

Feb 1, 2021

Don't take this course because he uses out of date methods.

By Vincent C

Jun 23, 2020

Very good course! I went from not even knowing what Python was to being able to write my own functions and learn about the programs. The video tutorials are pretty straightforward and instructions were provided so that even if you have newer versions of spyder and python, you can still do the coursework. The graded assessments truly tested your skills in Python. Though some problems seemed very simple and similar to those that appeared in the lessons, many were quite difficult and involved critical thinking and problem solving. You have access to all the code used in the lesson exercises which make the graded assessments easier to complete and follow along with. Although this course is listed as four weeks, it can definitely be completed by a determined learner in much shorter time so don't shy away from it due to the listed four week commitment if you think that is too long. Once again, great course and I recommend it for teens (not just teens but all ages can gain something from this) looking into computer science and programming.

By Monson M

Nov 29, 2017

A Truly For-Beginner Python Programming Course.

I've tried and given up several Python courses meant for beginners. What I found was they were anything but. Exercises required knowledge of syntax not covered in lecture. I had to google here and there just to find the right one to do the exercises. It was frustrating. In one course, the second week exercise was to create a tic-tac-toe table(!!). It was unimaginable just how to begin, let alone to code.

This one is different. Each lecture begins with a run of the function to be discussed to see how the output looks like. This gives us an idea what we're going into. Then we cover the programming part. As the lecture moves along, we can simultaneously play with the Spyder, step-by-step to experience what the lecture is about. The weekly exercises are just the adaptation of that week's content. This keeps a beginner like me to stay on course, not being intimidated by the out-of-the-world questions. Well done Bill. You are the best.

By Matt O

Jul 16, 2020

I have attempted to learn programming numerous times. I've tried to learn Java Script, C, Python, Java, and HTML all within the past few years. Each time I've lost interest. This time, under the tutelage of Professor Bill Boyd, I have finally finished a course and I can say that I am captivated with Python.

Dr. Boyd, thank you so much for reinvigorating what I thought I had lost. You have given me the basic understanding of surface level programming in Python. I can confidently say that I will continue this journey.

For those of you reading this and wondering why this program worked for me... here is my answer: I finally sat down and took notes. The course is structured on videos and exercises. I took notes on syntax, coding tricks, and functions that I knew I would forget. Now I have over 40 pages of notes that I can reference with future challenges. My journey has just begun. I encourage the reader, you, to begin yours now.

By Adam W

Jan 16, 2021

Very quick, introductory course to Python. It took me less than four days to complete, but everything was nice and to the point. I took the "Google - Crash Course On Python" course here on Coursera which I also enjoyed (and was like watching a Hollywood movie compared to a movie shot on a cell phone), however I felt that course went from me understanding what I was doing to "I have no idea what is happening" towards the end of the course. I think having taken the Google course first, made me understand this course quite easily. What I really like from this course is how the instructor helps you get a Python editor set up on your computer to run scripts as well as how to run Python programs from within the terminal. I'm looking forward to continuing my learning of the Python language after being able to grasp the basics that were introduced in both of the courses mentioned.

By John S

Mar 24, 2017

Pros: I liked the programming examples and problems approach. I learned a lot, and feel confident to use python in future for more complicated scientific computing.

cons: The videos were too long, and I found I had all the info in the examples. I would have liked more guidance on how to build up simple structured programmes - the final assignment you have a giant programme already built, whereas you could have set some exercises for "split this code into two subroutines that handle different jobs".

The autograder was really frustrating (sorry, I know it must be difficult to make something fair and automatic), but the great thing about a compiler or running a program is that you get to see the errors. The autograder just says "3 errors", and the problem turns out to be nothing to do with my program, which already produces the desired output.

By Federico V

Sep 8, 2018

I am studying Systems Engineering at a university in Argentina, quite one of the most pretigious and important around here. I can tell the difference between "good" and "bad" teaching, and I have some experience in the subject. Took a course in C, and keep on learning.

This course is just GREAT. Simplicity in the explanations, which are straight forward, complemented with accuracy and clear examples is, by far, an indeed marvellous recipe to teach Python. I have some background, and I understand that if I hadn't, I would have learned the same way.

I am deepfully grateful for this course, to Coursera and specially to the teacher. Keep on doing this, developers around the world will be better after taking this one; and the ones that just start will become quite proficient really quick.

Excellent! Thanks!

By Matthew E

Nov 22, 2017

I found this course very useful indeed. I had previously learned programming in Java but in a very formal fashion and without ever really producing anything that made sense. I wanted to learn Python as I consistently come up against references to it in my work. I found Bill's approach to be very engaging and with a sensible series of steps to improve my confidence. Personally, I would have preferred more of a hands on 'project' at the end, rather than watching Bill work through it. Weirdly I found the final assessment to be the easiest, but I still learned a ton and look forward to finding a course that builds on my new skills. If you are looking to get a basic understanding of programming without getting hung up on terminology and structure and just see that you can do it, this is a a great course.

By Abhishek D

Jun 3, 2019

Had an amazing experience .It was my first time with learning on an online platform everything is very well designed thank you Coursera .The course will help me in my next semester.

The course is very well defined and covers all the necessary topics as a beginner in python I needed to learn . Assignments are relatively easier than I expected them to be .Great Instructor and Mentor . Everything was great all my queries and questions were answered . Discussion Forums also helped me a lot and I hop I also helped someone . Though I feel the course should be updated with using IDEs like IntelliJ ( I used it anyway but it wasn't a problem) .Thank You Wesleyan University for designing this course .Again Thank You very much.

By Physics E I G & I

Apr 15, 2021

The provisions of the course materials was awesome, in a excellent sequential order that enables the students to build the knowledge with coherence. Also the reminders and encouragement along the way was very instrumental, e.g. when commended for keeping a good pace with speed. The fact that you can also pick up the course later incase you wished to take a break and progress from your previous work is superb. Thanks mr. Bill Boyd ! The only challenge on the materials lied on: the videos were not of very good clarity, and also one basic area I found missing was on decision making functions even though they were a part of tools for use during the course.