Back to Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction by Wesleyan University

The goal of the course is to introduce students to Python Version 3.x programming using hands on instruction. It will show how to install Python and use the Spyder IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for writing and debugging programs. The approach will be to present an example followed by a small exercise where the learner tries something similar to solidify a concept. At the end of each module there will be an exercise where the student is required to write simple programs and submit them for grading. It is intended for students with little or no programming background, although students with such a background should be able to move forward at their preferred pace. The course is four modules long and is designed to be completed in four weeks....

LR

Jan 04, 2017

Quite interesting introduction to Python, focusing on the most important components of the language. Looking forward to other courses using the same format. Thank you Bill and team for your hard work.

RC

Great overview course in python. I was super excited it uses Spyder. The auto-grader is finicky sometimes, but fair and quick. Highly suggest this for anyone looking to cut their teeth on python.

76 - 100 of 1,183 Reviews for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

By Edi F

Sep 22, 2020

Ein sehr guter Kurs! Der Professor ist sehr kompetent und weiß ganz genau, wann etwas dem Studenten zu überlassen ist und wann er etwas erklären sollte. Die Übungsaufgaben waren ebenfalls sehr hilfreich. Nicht zu leicht, nicht zu schwer. Insgesamt war der Kurs sehr gut strukturiert und sehr leicht zu navigieren.

By Rolex M

Feb 20, 2017

This course has made learn the fundamental basics of programing using python language. It has given a concrete foundation to progress in my programing career to model engineering solutions to real problems using python an easy, concise and readable language.

On look out for more of such an interesting course.

By Shervin S

Jul 23, 2017

I enjoyed it. The exercise documents are nice. The first two weeks were rather basic, so I didn't use the videos (which supplement the exercises docs). The later videos were useful in understanding some subtler code. The finale with the database program was a good introduction to sophisticated programming.

By avraneel p

May 16, 2020

It's an extremely well-built course. The Instructor is very patient with his teaching method. I started this course not knowing "P" of programming, and still, he managed to me understand this course. I will highly recommend this one to anybody who wants to learn basic Python programming. Thanks, Bill.

By Michelle N

May 13, 2020

I had zero experience in any programming language and this was a great way to get an introduction. I know that there are still many, many, many things to learn, but I now feel like I have some basic skills and a familiarity that makes me willing to sign up for more courses to gain new skills. Thanks!

By Anna L

Mar 06, 2018

I think it's a great course for complete beginners! I loved the pauses within the videos to do an excercise and then the solutions were showed - it really made me put in work, and not just sit there and watch everything before I got to practice! I wish there was a whole series for Python with Bill!

By Bruce T

Mar 21, 2018

Just the right level for a beginner. Bill Boyd is an excellent teacher. Well paced introduction to Python.

This is my first computer programming experience beyond html. I already have a little program in mind to write . I'm excited because I can do that with just what I've learned in this course.

By Kush S

Jan 12, 2019

This course is particularly very useful for the students who wish to strengthen their coding knowledge in python. Enough detailed information is provided to brush up the knowledge and the assignment all together makes the concepts much clear. I would highly recommend this course to my colleagues.

By Micheal A A

Jun 05, 2020

I have attempted many introductory python courses in the past. Most have been overwhelming and I got lost in the middle. But this course was perfect in terms of speed, content, and the instructor's methods. I particularly liked the assignments because they were practical and made me push myself.

By David W

May 01, 2020

Pretty good. You're never going to be fluent after a course of this length, but I was able to take what I'd learned and write scripts at work to strip data from a collection of files and collate it nicely. Having this sort of practical success has encouraged me to move on and improve my skills.

By Shubham U

Oct 12, 2016

The course is amazing and is a must recommend to the one's who are just starting out learning python. This course would successfully launch your from knowledge zero to a stage from which you can understand the later complexities that are involved in developing complex applications using python.

By Iakovleva M

Apr 15, 2020

Very good introduction course. Exercises are based on the material, which you learn while watching video lesson, very well structured and explained. Indeed, everyone can do exercises based on knowledge received from lesson, and this helps to successfully solve the problems and stay motivated.

By Paul B

Aug 07, 2020

Pretty good beginner course, though I'd say you should understand a few basics about programming before taking this course as some topics are not discussed in detail. You can figure things out generally with a web search or reading the course forum. Bill Boyd is great, love his accent!

By Anirudha V

Excellent introductory course. Helped me get started with Python syntax and the environment. I am looking to work off of this as a launching pad to take up the next level of programming and even apply it to some small work tasks. Thanks v much to the instructor and his team. Cheers.

By Sankara M

Mar 10, 2018

Very well Structured and easy to understand videos. Professor replies very quickly to question. In-video exercises are very helpful to understand material. Assignments are challenging enough to push you but not impossible to do. Auto-grading is very helpful. Best python course yet!

By Neeraj K

Jun 17, 2017

A very good course to get your python basics. Bill Boyd is a great teacher and easy to follow. The usage of spyder IDE through out this course, with its intuitive interface and bug-warnings, makes it easier to learn coding. Thank you for your valuable time and effort Prof. Boyd.

By Dan B

Jun 15, 2017

Fantastic into to python! I started with zero programming skills and now feel confident that I can apply my python knowledge to my professional field and make my life easier, not to mention improve my job prospects. Thanks a million professor Boyd, you're a fantastic teacher!

By Doo H S

Jan 27, 2019

The professor conveys fundamental ideas to students efficiently. He teaches me everything needed to do the assignments. I did not even need to google to do the assignments. He knows what the readers will be curious about and is good at teaching. I highly recommend this course.

By Brendan M

May 26, 2018

Python Programming: A Concise Introduction is a fantastic way to learn the basics of Python. I never felt lost, and the way the instructor put all the material made it so that I never even needed to ask a question. I truly can not praise this course, or the instructor, enough.

By Dr. K T

Jul 08, 2020

The questions asked were well explained and very clear that what is the expected result. The response of the tutors was fast and they helped by giving correct suggestions. The grader is slow and it is not giving the correct clue to understand what is expected by the grader.

By Allan H K

Jul 31, 2020

Great course, it's a good first step for those who want to learn some programming as it goes through all the basic syntax in Python in just a few weeks. But don't underestimate the basics, you can do a lot with just it. "There's no great building over a weak foundation"

By Syed E B N

May 04, 2020

A well planned course which covers basic structures and tasks such as sorting and formatting which are crucial for any kind of data analysis. The assignments are light and did not discourage me from taking the course along with my full-time job as an electrical engineer.

By mmbond

Apr 22, 2017

For the newbies to Python coding this course is excellent. I will recommend it to my colleagues and friends. I studied Python at University so for me it was easy. As final word I would ask you to make more this courses but for upper levels of knowledge. Thanks. All best!

By Chris M

Oct 30, 2016

I really enjoyed the course. The videos were very detailed, and if you couldn't follow the information there then his exercises showed you how it worked. Really the only complaint was that his keyboard was loud during the videos, making it hard to concentrate some times.

By Dharyll P A

Jan 05, 2019

The course is very comprehensive! I have very little experience with computer programming (although I have good foundations in mathematics) but it helped boost my understanding in python very swiftly. Thank you very much! I'll definitely purchase the course when I can.