Back to Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction by Wesleyan University

The goal of the course is to introduce students to Python Version 3.x programming using hands on instruction. It will show how to install Python and use the Spyder IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for writing and debugging programs. The approach will be to present an example followed by a small exercise where the learner tries something similar to solidify a concept. At the end of each module there will be an exercise where the student is required to write simple programs and submit them for grading. It is intended for students with little or no programming background, although students with such a background should be able to move forward at their preferred pace. The course is four modules long and is designed to be completed in four weeks....

LR
Jan 3, 2017

Quite interesting introduction to Python, focusing on the most important components of the language. Looking forward to other courses using the same format. Thank you Bill and team for your hard work.

HI
Nov 24, 2020

It was my first experience with Python and I enjoyed it very much! A lot of thanks to Instructor and all team, who made this course so interest and understandable. Thanks to Coursera team as well.

101 - 125 of 1,221 Reviews for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

By Dr. K T

Jul 8, 2020

The questions asked were well explained and very clear that what is the expected result. The response of the tutors was fast and they helped by giving correct suggestions. The grader is slow and it is not giving the correct clue to understand what is expected by the grader.

By Allan H K

Jul 31, 2020

Great course, it's a good first step for those who want to learn some programming as it goes through all the basic syntax in Python in just a few weeks. But don't underestimate the basics, you can do a lot with just it. "There's no great building over a weak foundation"

By Ebrahim N

May 4, 2020

A well planned course which covers basic structures and tasks such as sorting and formatting which are crucial for any kind of data analysis. The assignments are light and did not discourage me from taking the course along with my full-time job as an electrical engineer.

By mmbond

Apr 22, 2017

For the newbies to Python coding this course is excellent. I will recommend it to my colleagues and friends. I studied Python at University so for me it was easy. As final word I would ask you to make more this courses but for upper levels of knowledge. Thanks. All best!

By Chris M

Oct 30, 2016

I really enjoyed the course. The videos were very detailed, and if you couldn't follow the information there then his exercises showed you how it worked. Really the only complaint was that his keyboard was loud during the videos, making it hard to concentrate some times.

By Dharyll P A

Jan 5, 2019

The course is very comprehensive! I have very little experience with computer programming (although I have good foundations in mathematics) but it helped boost my understanding in python very swiftly. Thank you very much! I'll definitely purchase the course when I can.

By Oriol T

Apr 22, 2017

Self contained, hard to find hands-on course ,that offers accessible exercises that are progressively difficult (ie: without dramatic jumps), Do not use this as a comprehensive Python training, rather a very good place to practice what "you think" you have learned...

By Martí S L

Dec 31, 2016

Awesome course!! Professor Boyd will guide you through the basics of Python programming. What I liked the most is that he managed to pinpoint all the relevant aspects of python and programming and yet the difficulty is low enough to keep you motivated until the end.

By Erica T

Dec 30, 2017

I really liked the instructor. I felt he explained things well and he was not boring. The exercises were challenging, but could be figured out from the lectures and examples he gave. Great introduction to Python. I would take more classes from this professor.

By Pratik k s

Jan 29, 2017

This is a great course to start with for all the beginners out there who want to learn python. Very beautifully explained and made easy. Also doubts are cleared on the discussion forum regulary and as quick as possible.Thank you Proff. Boyd. Thank you coursera

By Heather P

Apr 25, 2017

This course is a very good introduction. The instructor is good at making the material easy to understand without talking too much. I recommend this course to anyone who has a basic knowledge of how programming works but who has not yet learned any python.

By Bryan T

Mar 8, 2018

This course is very well structured, like the name suggested, a great starting point, yet not too much boring stuff. Just straight to hands-on exercise and if you get stuck, try to re-read the relevant part, its almost always you missed something important.

By Jan

May 16, 2018

I liked the course. The quality of work put together is amazing. At some parts I have found it to straightforward as comments and hints tell more than you really need to complete the exercise. Overall great beginner course for anyone who is new to python.

By Isabelle B

Oct 14, 2018

The explanations are clear. The exercices and problems allow to test your understanding and to practice. I also like the videos because they don't contain too much theory but concrete applications. Very effective way to learn the basics of Python fast.

By John M N

Mar 28, 2019

This is a wonderful and very helpful course which introduces the python programming language. You are able to grasp the basics of this language, and with this, you can specialize in the field you want. I really recommend it to all python beginners.

By Sadia A

For someone who never tried python before, the course has been really helpful. I feel I can try and learn more advanced usage of python, thanks to the easily understandable and useful lessons with on-spot exercises and reference examples. Thank you!

By Sabyasachi R

Nov 23, 2019

Professor Bill Boyd really gets down to the basics of Python programming and explains all the code in a fantastic manner. Other than that the exercises really make you understand the basics the Professor is trying to teach. Really loved the course.

By Nisheeth S

Jul 10, 2018

(1) Course fee should be reduced.(2) Some more application oriented problems can be introduced.(3) To support learning some reading study material must be provided.(4) The difficulty level of the assignment problems can be increased a little bit.

By Habitamu T B

Sep 16, 2017

The course is well structured. I like the way it was presented. It is full-fledged course, which enables a beginner to attend it by his or her own. The arrangement of the contents follows a smooth flow that helped me navigate through them easily.

By Ana S

Jul 14, 2017

I really enjoyed to learn and then practice this course. Lessons were explained and done in a good way. Thank you Bill Boyd for doing this course and thank you also for your answers. Looking forward to follow you in another course. Thank you!!!!

By Tanvi P

Jul 4, 2017

This course is an easy-to-follow course for beginners with no previous knowledge of Python. The course's exercise documents are very well laid out, with the inclusion of questions to summarise the video. I am enjoying learning how to use Python.

By Simon D

Dec 4, 2017

I've already sent my history about the course. Globally a well-thought, simple introduction to Python with a very motivated Instructor and good bases of the language studied. Short concise videos and short helpful exercices to get the concepts.

By Jorge G G

Sep 26, 2018

Amazing and perfect for beginners that did some programming in the past and need some refresh. The course is very well structured and provide the basics of the topics most people will be using in their daily coding life. 100% Recommendable.

By ISHAN N

Nov 17, 2017

It's something which a student, without any knowledge of python , would love to start with. It deals with every basic aspect of python, with very good practice question.

I would recommend all to have this program before moving fwd in python.

By K. Y W

Jun 30, 2017

Thank you Dr. Boyd for your very helpful and coaching style in teaching Python to a beginner like me. I enjoyed learning Python programming through the practice and examples you demonstrated on the course and the pace which was just right.