Back to Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction by Wesleyan University

The goal of the course is to introduce students to Python Version 3.x programming using hands on instruction. It will show how to install Python and use the Spyder IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for writing and debugging programs. The approach will be to present an example followed by a small exercise where the learner tries something similar to solidify a concept. At the end of each module there will be an exercise where the student is required to write simple programs and submit them for grading. It is intended for students with little or no programming background, although students with such a background should be able to move forward at their preferred pace. The course is four modules long and is designed to be completed in four weeks. SPECIAL NOTE: Python Programming: A Concise Introduction course will close for new learner enrollment on 2/16/22. In order to earn a Course Certificate, you will need to complete all graded assignments by 8/16/22. If you are interested in earning a Course Certificate for this course, please upgrade or apply for Financial Aid by 8/16/22. If you are a Coursera for Business learner, you can continue to use your sponsored credit through that date....

LR
Jan 3, 2017

Quite interesting introduction to Python, focusing on the most important components of the language. Looking forward to other courses using the same format. Thank you Bill and team for your hard work.

TS
Nov 28, 2021

This course was amazing as well as was an interesting course.I have learnt a lot of new concepts and things with the help of Respected Sir Bill Boyd and looking forward for more such type of courses.

126 - 150 of 1,493 Reviews for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

By Paul B

Aug 7, 2020

Pretty good beginner course, though I'd say you should understand a few basics about programming before taking this course as some topics are not discussed in detail. You can figure things out generally with a web search or reading the course forum. Bill Boyd is great, love his accent!

By Amit A

Jan 6, 2021

A very nice and motivating introductory course. I liked the little things which we take for granted but can be quite vital: like correctly using print statement, string formatting, and working with files and csv and many other things that I learnt during this course. Thanks once again!!

By Anirudha V

Excellent introductory course. Helped me get started with Python syntax and the environment. I am looking to work off of this as a launching pad to take up the next level of programming and even apply it to some small work tasks. Thanks v much to the instructor and his team. Cheers.

By Sankara M

Mar 10, 2018

Very well Structured and easy to understand videos. Professor replies very quickly to question. In-video exercises are very helpful to understand material. Assignments are challenging enough to push you but not impossible to do. Auto-grading is very helpful. Best python course yet!

By Neeraj K

Jun 17, 2017

A very good course to get your python basics. Bill Boyd is a great teacher and easy to follow. The usage of spyder IDE through out this course, with its intuitive interface and bug-warnings, makes it easier to learn coding. Thank you for your valuable time and effort Prof. Boyd.

By Mayank K

Jan 29, 2021

I have previously done a couple of Python introductory courses but I find this course very helpful in getting introduced to Python language and stepping up on right foot towards the interesting journey of programming. Bill is an excellent instructor and course content is amazing.

By Dan B

Jun 14, 2017

Fantastic into to python! I started with zero programming skills and now feel confident that I can apply my python knowledge to my professional field and make my life easier, not to mention improve my job prospects. Thanks a million professor Boyd, you're a fantastic teacher!

By Doo H S

Jan 27, 2019

The professor conveys fundamental ideas to students efficiently. He teaches me everything needed to do the assignments. I did not even need to google to do the assignments. He knows what the readers will be curious about and is good at teaching. I highly recommend this course.

By Brendan M

May 26, 2018

Python Programming: A Concise Introduction is a fantastic way to learn the basics of Python. I never felt lost, and the way the instructor put all the material made it so that I never even needed to ask a question. I truly can not praise this course, or the instructor, enough.

By Dr. K T

Jul 8, 2020

The questions asked were well explained and very clear that what is the expected result. The response of the tutors was fast and they helped by giving correct suggestions. The grader is slow and it is not giving the correct clue to understand what is expected by the grader.

By Allan H K

Jul 31, 2020

Great course, it's a good first step for those who want to learn some programming as it goes through all the basic syntax in Python in just a few weeks. But don't underestimate the basics, you can do a lot with just it. "There's no great building over a weak foundation"

By Ebrahim N

May 4, 2020

A well planned course which covers basic structures and tasks such as sorting and formatting which are crucial for any kind of data analysis. The assignments are light and did not discourage me from taking the course along with my full-time job as an electrical engineer.

By mmbond

Apr 22, 2017

For the newbies to Python coding this course is excellent. I will recommend it to my colleagues and friends. I studied Python at University so for me it was easy. As final word I would ask you to make more this courses but for upper levels of knowledge. Thanks. All best!

By Chris M

Oct 30, 2016

I really enjoyed the course. The videos were very detailed, and if you couldn't follow the information there then his exercises showed you how it worked. Really the only complaint was that his keyboard was loud during the videos, making it hard to concentrate some times.

By Dharyll P A

Jan 5, 2019

The course is very comprehensive! I have very little experience with computer programming (although I have good foundations in mathematics) but it helped boost my understanding in python very swiftly. Thank you very much! I'll definitely purchase the course when I can.

By Oriol T

Apr 22, 2017

Self contained, hard to find hands-on course ,that offers accessible exercises that are progressively difficult (ie: without dramatic jumps), Do not use this as a comprehensive Python training, rather a very good place to practice what "you think" you have learned...

By Martí S L

Dec 31, 2016

Awesome course!! Professor Boyd will guide you through the basics of Python programming. What I liked the most is that he managed to pinpoint all the relevant aspects of python and programming and yet the difficulty is low enough to keep you motivated until the end.

By Erica T

Dec 30, 2017

I really liked the instructor. I felt he explained things well and he was not boring. The exercises were challenging, but could be figured out from the lectures and examples he gave. Great introduction to Python. I would take more classes from this professor.

By Pratik k s

Jan 29, 2017

This is a great course to start with for all the beginners out there who want to learn python. Very beautifully explained and made easy. Also doubts are cleared on the discussion forum regulary and as quick as possible.Thank you Proff. Boyd. Thank you coursera

By Tatiana K

Aug 29, 2021

A very nice introductive course. Provides with some graded tasks so you can practice. Obviously I don't feel that I've mastered Python, but I've now got pretty good idea what it's like. Looking forward to continuoing learning. Thanks to the course developer!

By VangaSuresh R

Jul 31, 2021

This course gives a good introduction to Python in fact i am searching in coursera for continuation of this. Each week is well organized. What is said before lecture in a text file is delivered in video and i can say i learnt phyton basics and using spyder .

By Heather P

Apr 25, 2017

This course is a very good introduction. The instructor is good at making the material easy to understand without talking too much. I recommend this course to anyone who has a basic knowledge of how programming works but who has not yet learned any python.

By Bryan T

Mar 8, 2018

This course is very well structured, like the name suggested, a great starting point, yet not too much boring stuff. Just straight to hands-on exercise and if you get stuck, try to re-read the relevant part, its almost always you missed something important.

By Lydia S

Oct 16, 2021

I was new to programming. Had no idea how to code or program. It was not easy from the start. But I was determined. Professor Bill is so helpful. He always replies to all questions. The course is beginner friendly but someone has to be determined to do it.

By Amalia K

Feb 14, 2021

It's been an enjoyable trip to the world of Python programming! I would like to thank Mr Bill Boyd for all of his help. Even though I have no other experience in programming, now I am capable of writing Python functions. I absolutely recommend this course!