Back to Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction by Wesleyan University

The goal of the course is to introduce students to Python Version 3.x programming using hands on instruction. It will show how to install Python and use the Spyder IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for writing and debugging programs. The approach will be to present an example followed by a small exercise where the learner tries something similar to solidify a concept. At the end of each module there will be an exercise where the student is required to write simple programs and submit them for grading. It is intended for students with little or no programming background, although students with such a background should be able to move forward at their preferred pace. The course is four modules long and is designed to be completed in four weeks. SPECIAL NOTE: Python Programming: A Concise Introduction course will close for new learner enrollment on 2/16/22. In order to earn a Course Certificate, you will need to complete all graded assignments by 8/16/22. If you are interested in earning a Course Certificate for this course, please upgrade or apply for Financial Aid by 8/16/22. If you are a Coursera for Business learner, you can continue to use your sponsored credit through that date....

LR
Jan 3, 2017

Quite interesting introduction to Python, focusing on the most important components of the language. Looking forward to other courses using the same format. Thank you Bill and team for your hard work.

RR
Feb 3, 2020

Thanks for the clear explanations and the easy examples. I think it is a good introductionary course and it gives a good starting point to move further to more sophisticated topics and applications.

151 - 175 of 1,487 Reviews for Python Programming: A Concise Introduction

By Jan

May 16, 2018

I liked the course. The quality of work put together is amazing. At some parts I have found it to straightforward as comments and hints tell more than you really need to complete the exercise. Overall great beginner course for anyone who is new to python.

By Joshua A

Apr 3, 2021

It is a good course I love it. However, I would not recommend it for a beginner because there are too much code not easy to understand. Overall it is a good course and I recommend it for someone who is already familiar with python programming language.😎

By Isabelle B

Oct 14, 2018

The explanations are clear. The exercices and problems allow to test your understanding and to practice. I also like the videos because they don't contain too much theory but concrete applications. Very effective way to learn the basics of Python fast.

By Lourdes D

Feb 9, 2021

Great course !!! It is clear and concise !!! Thank you Bill !!! I only recomend some standarization in the name of variables and functions (always with _ or not) and better programming practices (avoid the use of break, use of structured programming)

By John M N

Mar 28, 2019

This is a wonderful and very helpful course which introduces the python programming language. You are able to grasp the basics of this language, and with this, you can specialize in the field you want. I really recommend it to all python beginners.

By Sadia A

For someone who never tried python before, the course has been really helpful. I feel I can try and learn more advanced usage of python, thanks to the easily understandable and useful lessons with on-spot exercises and reference examples. Thank you!

By Sabyasachi R

Nov 23, 2019

Professor Bill Boyd really gets down to the basics of Python programming and explains all the code in a fantastic manner. Other than that the exercises really make you understand the basics the Professor is trying to teach. Really loved the course.

By Nisheeth S

Jul 10, 2018

(1) Course fee should be reduced.(2) Some more application oriented problems can be introduced.(3) To support learning some reading study material must be provided.(4) The difficulty level of the assignment problems can be increased a little bit.

By Habitamu T B

Sep 16, 2017

The course is well structured. I like the way it was presented. It is full-fledged course, which enables a beginner to attend it by his or her own. The arrangement of the contents follows a smooth flow that helped me navigate through them easily.

By Ana S

Jul 14, 2017

I really enjoyed to learn and then practice this course. Lessons were explained and done in a good way. Thank you Bill Boyd for doing this course and thank you also for your answers. Looking forward to follow you in another course. Thank you!!!!

By Tanvi P

Jul 4, 2017

This course is an easy-to-follow course for beginners with no previous knowledge of Python. The course's exercise documents are very well laid out, with the inclusion of questions to summarise the video. I am enjoying learning how to use Python.

By Simon D

Dec 4, 2017

I've already sent my history about the course. Globally a well-thought, simple introduction to Python with a very motivated Instructor and good bases of the language studied. Short concise videos and short helpful exercices to get the concepts.

By Jorge G G

Sep 26, 2018

Amazing and perfect for beginners that did some programming in the past and need some refresh. The course is very well structured and provide the basics of the topics most people will be using in their daily coding life. 100% Recommendable.

By ISHAN N

Nov 17, 2017

It's something which a student, without any knowledge of python , would love to start with. It deals with every basic aspect of python, with very good practice question.

I would recommend all to have this program before moving fwd in python.

By K. Y W

Jun 30, 2017

Thank you Dr. Boyd for your very helpful and coaching style in teaching Python to a beginner like me. I enjoyed learning Python programming through the practice and examples you demonstrated on the course and the pace which was just right.

By Aditi V

Feb 6, 2021

I learned a lot, through this course and I think it's a very good course for beginners who are genuinely interested in learning python programming. The instructor explains everything in depth and I truly recommend this course to everyone.

By Sarah B

Apr 1, 2018

Excellent course. As a beginner with no programming background, I thought the pace, instruction and examples were very good. The instructor also takes the time to thoughtfully answer all student's questions, which I found very impressive.

By Danish D

Nov 8, 2021

The instruction is easy to understand and follow. The good thing about this course is that assignments are simple but push the students to learn the concepts stepwise.

I really enjoyed the course and recommend it to my colleagues as well.

By Jaideep A

Jun 14, 2020

I had absolutely no practical knowledge of Python and this course has helped me start with small basics steps. The course is very good for beginners as it has been laid out in very simple terms and that made understanding it very easy.

By Amy P N

Really good first intro - I'm surprised I managed to pick it up so quickly having never coded before! It was tricky at times, but working through the exercises was very rewarding. Definitely recommend to those wanting to learn Python!

By Alejandro B B

May 20, 2017

This course really covers all the basics in a very illustrative manner. I definitely recommend it for absolute beginners in Python, previous programming experience helps but is not necessary to cover the material in a reasonable time.

By Rupesh T

Sep 4, 2021

Very helpful. The course is arranged very nicely with clear instructions about setup. Typically I find whole setup a bit daunting and more difficult than programming itself. However Prof.Boyd has made it look very easy. Thank you.

By Patrick H

Oct 19, 2017

Good introductory course. Materials provided, especially instructions how to set up the IDE, easily moved me through the course and allowed me to focus on learning the scripting language. It was even a bit fun. Highly recommended.

By Punam P

Very good introduction to basic programming. Very easy for beginners in python who have already some programming background - but still extremely useful to quickly and efficiently learn python basics.

Thanks to Team & University..