Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

BN

Jan 17, 2016

After trying tutorial after tutorial and exploring many different resources to learn Python, I have finally found one that works! This is a very fun course, and the free textbook is simply incredible.

GV

Sep 29, 2019

Extremely well laid out curriculum, to the point videos and excellent book. Built my confidence level to clear the course. Thanks Dr.Chuck for all the hard work and diligence to support the community.

276 - 300 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Joseph V

Apr 26, 2017

I've taken online programming classes in the past, and this is by far the best. Dr. Chuck's curriculum covered concepts, constructs, and the basics of the language in a way that made learning a new language engaging and fun. Content was covered in a way that kept me engaged (even though I've written a ton of code in VB and C#) while at the same time, the material was presented so that someone with no programming experience at all, could follow along and grasp all of the material ins plain English.

I am looking forward to the next course in this series.

By Ihtyaz K T

The course is provides an excellent opportunity for newcomers who are oblivious to programming and who also, at the same time, are enthusiastic about programming (Python) and are willing to take some time off their daily lives and dedicate it to learning such a prominent programming language course. I'd like to extend my sincerest respects to Dr.Chuck (course instructor) for breaking down everything in such a simple manner for everyone's convenience. Would highly recommend that everyone, who's willing to learn Python enroll into this course.

Cheers.

By Mayakkannan S

Jun 10, 2016

This is a well structured course for people who are beginners and have enough to attract people who have programming experience as well. I am a programmer with legacy background and perl, I enrolled to this course so that I can mentor my juniors at work on python; esp perl to python code conversion and attending this course is immensely satisfying from that objective. I will attend the other courses and probably build some materials so that I can cover the entire course 1-4 in a week.

Thanks Dr. Chuck and team from coursera and University of Michigan.

By Payal B

Jan 01, 2020

This course is excellent! I loved the course content, the very interactive assignments, and especially the incredible Professor Charles Severance. Professor Severance does an incredible job unfolding programming for beginners, just starting out (like me). The content taught is mainly in the form of videos and the visuals really helped me understand the content very clearly. The assignments and quizzes are made to simply make sure one has been paying attention. They are not hard and not demotivating in the least. I am so very glad I took this course.

By Colin S

Jan 06, 2016

Great Professor and I really enjoyed the basic building block approach. It allowed me to learn slowly and completely while I took in all the new material. This was the perfect course for me since I had no prior programming knowledge at all. Thanks Dr. Chuck!

The only suggestion I have is to provide more exercises to really cement the lessons, similar to math class back in high school where you had to do multiple problems to see for yourself how different variations of the same types of problems work out. Although I may be alone in wishing for that!

By Dilrini R

Jul 18, 2016

Dr. Severence does a great job of organizing the information in a manner that keeps me engaged, and knows when and how to describe common errors in logic and how to avoid/fix them. The accompanying text is similarly engaging and informative; it manages to explain quite a few concepts in each chapter, without being an overwhelming amount of information. I feel I am getting a great functional (vs. heavily theoretical) introduction to programming concepts and the Python language. The exercises have ingrained the material covered in the lectures.

By Dr. V J

May 07, 2020

Hi All,

Thank you so much Prof. Christopher Brooks for his excellent way of presentation of each topic covered in this course. Great experience .... Excellent Mentor. ...This is my first attempt in online learning and joined for a course in coursera. I enjoyed a lot.. I am a beginner in Python programming and I completed the course and completed all the assignments and Quiz with 100% grade. Also the course helped me to acquaint myself with the interesting methods of teaching by which teachers can interact with students through online platforms.

By Jason B

Jun 23, 2016

I think the textbook does a great job of explaining things very well. I did not watch any videos so can not comment on them as supplements to the textbook. However, after taking this course, I do feel like I have a good foundation for learning Python and code in general.

My only criticism is that the course still uses an older version of Python which has some differences and can make the learning frustrating if you are not aware of those differences. Granted, with a free textbook for an older version this is a minor issue thus far in the series.

By Rhiddhi P D

Apr 14, 2020

really easy to do even for a 14 year old.

I really can't believe that I did this course in less than about 5 hours, and the course was of 7 weeks!

Actually somebody gave it to me as a challenge to complete this course in 2 days..... I did it in 5 hours.

If you provide me with a special achievement like a special certificate or something else for me as I did it so fast with 100% marks, then it'll be nice.. :-)

Thanks for providing me such a beautiful course. I'll be happy if you provide me with some other courses too as financial aid.

Thanks again🙂

By arman

Apr 21, 2020

Dr Charles is really a good teacher in Python. His presentation skills are encouraging for beginners like me in this particular language and it is also enjoyable. I was struggling to learn this language and have searched for several resources online but none of them were able to make me comprehend the basics of Python. I am happy that I have come across this course taught by Dr Charles. I have already completed the first one of the specialization and hoping to continue with the remaining ones which will help me gain valuable skills in Python.

By orobosa o

Oct 12, 2016

As annoying as the auto-grader was at times, I still enjoyed the course. The material was properly presented and curated which goes to say a lot of blood, tears and sweat was definitely put into the course. I highly recommend this course for beginning programmers and/ or more experienced programmers who many want to familiarize themselves with python syntax or get a refresher. A big thank you to the team and the initiatives behind this course most especially Professor Severance who has a unique style and engaging style of content delivering.

By Katherine E

Jul 31, 2018

Awesome instructor and lots of great resources to aid in understanding - such as discussion boards and assignments using the code grader tool. I really liked seeing the instructor interact with the slides. This helped my understanding the concepts. I do not have a programming background although I am in IT operations. The course was very accessible and I look forward to the remaining courses of Python for Everybody. I recommend it to anyone with no experience in programming looking to get started in Python. Thank you Dr. Chuck and Coursera!

By Divyanshu S

Apr 30, 2020

This course is just awesome. Dr.Chuck tries his best to make every concept clear and rememberable.

Absolutely this course is a beginner who wants to start the programming. If you are a beginner and have no prior about programming stuff, then the course is for you. Quizzes, assignments, and other exercises help you to understand things thoroughly. Believe me you are going to enjoy the whole lectures .Dr.Chuck has also added some other stuffs which makes this course more interesting. Thank you Dr.Chuck for creating 'Programming for everybody'.

By Gavin C

Nov 25, 2016

A really nice, gentle introduction to the basics of the Python language. I was already familiar with much of it from previous endeavours at learning to code, so managed to get through each week in about an evening's work, but it didn't 'feel right' to jump into the second course straight away. The last programming assignment caused a little bit of head scratching, and re-highlighted the need for careful, precise thinking when writing even short pieces of code. I've enjoyed this course and will be back for the Data Structures module soon :)

By Emily L

Apr 28, 2020

I went into this course not having any previous experience with programming and finished it being able to write some basic code which was tremendously satisfying. The material was presented in a simple enough manner that no experience was needed to get started. While I'm guessing Spyder was not used for simplicity's sake, I would recommend it rather than running command prompt. It picks up on basic errors (like a missing parenthesis) which cuts down on the time you spend running the entire code and then having it fail for something silly.

By Mark P

Oct 23, 2019

Great starter course. Platform has some bugs loading videos and the code editor is very finicky to spaces and tabs even if you write it directly in the assignment editor provided. Best practice is to use your own editor, run the code in the command prompt like the instructor suggests, and then paste your code from atom or whatever into the assignment editor. Also, the discussion forums reply section is buggy and wrote my response vertically which was very strange and should get fixed. Otherwise good course and good pace for beginners.

By Timothy A C

May 10, 2016

Great course for a beginner. Instructor and student assistants make sure that you get the basics and (most important) grasp the concepts behind the code. This is very important because next to the keywords and syntax the most crucial thing to be learned is to start "thinking" like a programmer. How to break it down to the necessary incremental steps.

I personally like the combination of video lecture, on-line student notes and on-line lab. Getting Python installed locally is a breeze for Windows or Linux. Already enrolled in Course 2!!

By Brett K

Mar 26, 2020

I knew almost nothing about programming and now I know a little something! Starts out very easy, and gradually becomes challenging. Nothing too aggravating in the assignments, just don't be afraid to take your time, re-watch the lecture videos, read the chapter, and try to tackle the assignment again. I am preparing to go back to school for a Database Analyst certification at my local college, and I thought this would be a good way to get exposure to the types of languages I'm going to be seeing in the future. On to the next course!

By Adityavikram T

Jun 03, 2018

I'm already familiar with coding, in languages like C, C++ and Java. But starting from scratch for a new language like Python was cool. Prof. Chuck engaged the viewer quite effectively and i appreciate that. Solving periodic quizzes helped me be reassured that i knew what was being taught in the course. This course takes its due time to teach us various concepts in Python and in no place did i feel that something was rushed through without proper explanation. So all in all, it's a good course to start off one's journey in Python.

By Mustafa K

Nov 26, 2015

A very good content with additional inspiring interviews. Names on it, it is getting started course, it is giving foundations of Python. Because I have some programming background in Java, I have completed it in a week without skipping anything. Dr. Charles Severance makes his job very well and more importantly in very enjoying way :). I'm looking forward to taking next Python course from him. Last but not least, very thanks to Coursera for providing us accessing top class courses in free of charge. Best wishes for all from Turkey.

By Cristopher D G L

Dec 26, 2016

Great intro to Python. I've had some formal training in C++, MATLAB, and I completed the codecademy section of Python a while back. This was a nice re-introduction to Python, but more formal. The only complaint I have is with the grader. I had no issues running my programs from my terminal, but the grader kept giving me indentation issues. Not sure what the problem was, but it was a pain to deal with considering the code worked in other places. Aside from that the lectures are quick and helpful and the examples are helpful as well

By Saikat M

Sep 09, 2017

I'm very happy because of the way the whole session has made progress. It is easy to understand because of the way things were explained. You are an awesome teacher!!!

Just one little/tiny concern i.e. before explaining what is list, I saw the course started using list. If a little insight of list would have been provided in the course, it could have been a 100% complete course.But anyways, without that it's 99.99% satisfactory though. :)

Again, thanks for having this very helpful course to build Python base of the learners strong.

By Frank E P

Jun 01, 2020

thus far, best programming class I have ever taken. Nice mix of humor, he explains what works and what doesn't, why and how to fix it. The programs are geared around at least something along the lines of real word problems. I also love that you are taught straight off how to install python and encouraged to do your assignments on your computer, but if not possible can do it just on the browser until you are ready to turn in, then just copy and paste your code. Another big plus is he introduces command line to get you used to it

By Joan M C

Jul 23, 2019

Good introduction to Python and programming. I learned the basics of 3 other languages in the 80's (FORTRAN, Pascal and elementary assembly language), so programming is not new for me. Since it has been so long since I have written a program I started with PY4E to dust off the cobwebs. the video lessons were clear and mildly entertaining - which made it fun to learn. The assignments and quizzes were purposeful, because they help clarify subtleties and encourage practice.

I am planning on taking the next course in the sequence.

By Matthew A

Aug 26, 2018

Great introductory course! I have very "rusty" experience with programming, but I am familiar with logic and computing terms. I feel like if you had very little "command line" experience in your past, you may need to learn a little before starting. But there is enough "walking through" it in this course that you will get it at least through literally doing exactly what's on the screen.

The instructor is awesome - great sense of humor, and teaches in a way that doesn't speak "down" to you, or too academic. I enjoyed this course.