Back to The Introduction to Quantum Computing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Introduction to Quantum Computing by Saint Petersburg State University

4.4

"Quantum Computing" is among those terms that are widely discussed but often poorly understood. The reasons of this state of affairs may be numerous, but possibly the most significant among them is that it is a relatively new scientific area, and it's clear interpretations are not yet widely spread. The main obstacle here is the word "quantum", which refers to quantum mechanics - one of the most counter-intuitive ways to describe our world. But fear not! This is not a course on quantum mechanics. We will gently touch it in the beginning and then leave it apart, concentrating on the mathematical model of quantum computer, generously developed for us by physicists. This doesn't mean that the whole course is mathematics either (however there will be enough of it). We will build a simple working quantum computer with our bare hands, and we will consider some algorithms, designed for bigger quantum computers which are not yet developed. The course material is designed for those computer scientists, engineers and programmers who believe, that there's something else than just HLL programming, that will move our computing power further into infinity. Since the course is introductory, the only prerequisites are complex numbers and linear algebra. These two are required and they have to be enough. Happy learning!...

BP

Aug 27, 2019

Heavily Packed course..Touched the tip of a huge iceberg named "Beauty of Mathematics" from this course..Thanks to Coursera and the team for this insightful journey of 5 weeks with you.

MF

Oct 07, 2019

Good course for the beginners, who want to dive into the mysterious world of quantum computing.\n\nthankyou coursera & Sergey for his great effort...thumbs up

26 - 31 of 31 Reviews for The Introduction to Quantum Computing

By MOHD F

Oct 18, 2019

thankyou coursera & Sergey for his great effort...a big thumbs up

By Stephen T

Mar 07, 2019

I enjoyed this course, but found it tough going. I knew very little about Quantum Computing before I began, nevertheless I found this course to be a useful introduction to the subject. However, I would recommend that anyone seeking to complete the course should check first that they are competent with the necessary mathematical prerequisites.

By Vivek P

Mar 23, 2019

It was a well organized course. The assignments were challenging, but they were solvable. The Professor taught really well!

By Cheng-Ya, Y

Aug 24, 2019

It's a really great course and I finally may take a peek at the field of quantum computing.

By Diego E S

Oct 15, 2019

Weeks 1, 2 and 3 are a great introduction to Quantum Computing! The instructor covers very clearly all of the subjects related to QC. I wish the background material could be either explained more clearly, or some additional references be provided. The exams during these weeks are difficult, but working through them enhances your understanding of the subject.

Weeks 4 and 5 are a completely different story. Unfortunately, it is as if the instructor completely forgot that the only prerequisites listed for the course were complex numbers, and linear algebra. If you are a slow learner (like I am), you better be prepared to spend at least an additional 10 hours per week searching for additional references to fully understand the material covered. Every topic related to QC the instructor covers extremely well; it is the supporting material and the mathematics needed to understand it that requires extra time. I think that there are other very interesting introductory subjects that could've been discussed (like quantum teleportation and error correction), instead of spending so much time on proofs and formalisms of the algorithms; those could be covered in a more advanced course.

In summary, I recommend this course if you have a good background in classical algorithms and/or math, or are willing to spend the extra time figuring out certain subjects that aren't clearly explained.

By Larry O

Sep 03, 2019

I disliked this course. It's quantum computing, so "difficult" is to be expected, but the material was made more challenging by the structure and delivery of the lectures. The pacing was frustrating, with some lectures often being too simplistic or digressive and then a sudden rush over important and complex math. The quizzes required some techniques that hadn't been explained (or at least not well-explained) in the lectures, I'm still not sure if I solved them in the "appropriate" way. Only reason I'm giving it two stars and not one is that the technical content is fundamentally solid.