Back to The Introduction to Quantum Computing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Introduction to Quantum Computing by Saint Petersburg State University

4.3

"Quantum Computing" is among those terms that are widely discussed but often poorly understood. The reasons of this state of affairs may be numerous, but possibly the most significant among them is that it is a relatively new scientific area, and it's clear interpretations are not yet widely spread. The main obstacle here is the word "quantum", which refers to quantum mechanics - one of the most counter-intuitive ways to describe our world. But fear not! This is not a course on quantum mechanics. We will gently touch it in the beginning and then leave it apart, concentrating on the mathematical model of quantum computer, generously developed for us by physicists. This doesn't mean that the whole course is mathematics either (however there will be enough of it). We will build a simple working quantum computer with our bare hands, and we will consider some algorithms, designed for bigger quantum computers which are not yet developed. The course material is designed for those computer scientists, engineers and programmers who believe, that there's something else than just HLL programming, that will move our computing power further into infinity. Since the course is introductory, the only prerequisites are complex numbers and linear algebra. These two are required and they have to be enough. Happy learning!...

HH

The course was very insightful. The only problem I faced was that the concepts were not neatly explained, I had to go back in the videos many times to understand. But an amazing course overall.

BP
Feb 23, 2020

Heavily Packed course..Touched the tip of a huge iceberg named "Beauty of Mathematics" from this course..Thanks to Coursera and the team for this insightful journey of 5 weeks with you.

51 - 75 of 110 Reviews for The Introduction to Quantum Computing

By Aryaan H

May 3, 2020

Well explained by the professor! Reasonable amount of knowledge is provided in simple language

By Lorenzo P

May 29, 2019

Very interesting. Not easy but definitely enjoyable. My persona compliment to the instructor.

By Pamela F S L d O

Jan 22, 2020

I'm really surprised about everything in the course. I'm sure I will do other courses here.

By Sutirtho B

May 24, 2021

The Course was interesting and I have got a basic knowledge about Quantum Computation

By Leomar M M

Sep 26, 2019

Overall good course. It certainly helps understanding a bit about quantum computing.

By 俞柳君

Apr 28, 2019

Intense and fun. Very helpful course! Strongly recommended.

By Dr. O P

Feb 21, 2020

Very good course on Quantum Computing for beginners.

By Sahar B R

Dec 9, 2019

Very good initiation to quantum computing field

By Rifatul I H

Nov 6, 2020

It is a great course. I highly recommend it.

By Sreeprakash N

Nov 5, 2019

Excellent! Thanks very much for this course.

By shashwat s

Jul 9, 2020

a good course for the introductory level

By Aravind T

Jun 20, 2020

The Course was great, with lot of maths

By Edual M

Jun 21, 2021

Excellent course, very well structured

By Boris G

Jan 28, 2020

Interesting, hard, opening new fields.

By Luis A E

Feb 8, 2019

Nice Course.

By Bishwajit P G

Feb 16, 2019

good

By James M

Dec 7, 2019

Overall a very good course. For me the best value of this course is that it got me started on quantum computing and moved me passed the initial mathematics pretty quickly so that I could get an appreciation for quantum computing without having to be an expert with the math and quantum mechanics itself. This being said, after having completed the course I still feel I have a lot to learn. I also agree with other reviewers concerning the last two weeks of the course and that the presentation could have been better.

Nevertheless, I feel I have some momentum going with the subject and I hope to be able to go back to my textbook "Quantum Computing for Computer Scientist" and continue my studies.

On a practical side I would also like to acknowledge that this course helped be to understand better the nature of problems that will lend themselves to being solved better with quantum algorithms and those for which classical algorithms are no worse. This will be important to know as we move forward and separate the hype from the reality.

By Haissam W

Jul 22, 2021

Thank you, St Petersburg, for the fantastic course. It's a great effort to put together an online course for such a complex domain. However, I have only two comments. I would suggest having another Absolute beginner course with 50% less algorithm and a more explicit definition of each character in the equation for people who don't have a strong background in math and physics. The second comment is regarding the certificate; it would be great if the course credited or at least remove the non credited sentence nb the printed PDF certificate. Thank you

By QUAGLIA R

Sep 7, 2020

I recommend this course, especially if you are quite fresh of a STEM degree.

If your degree dates 20 or more years ago (like in my case) consider you'll probably need more time to refresh the topics required to pass several tests, in particular complex numbers and linear algebra. I don't give 5 stars only for this reason: some final test looks a bit weakly related to the lectures and more connected to the underlying mathematich.

By Vaishnavi A

Jan 12, 2020

I have thoroughly enjoyed this course and I loved the way the instructor gradually built up the concepts. Sometimes, I had difficulty following some technical terms. I think this comes under the prerequisites for taking up this course. The module exercises were not too easy, but they were not difficult either. They were good. On the whole, I enjoyed taking up this course. I wish there was less math though.

By Thomas C

Jul 11, 2020

A great starting course for a theoretical understanding of quantum algorithms. This course is very mathematically challenging and requires an advanced understanding of vector spaces and Dirac notation. Content is explained well, but at times it can be difficult to follow the derivations and it can be easy to lose track of how the maths fits in to the bigger picture.

By Stephen T

Mar 7, 2019

I enjoyed this course, but found it tough going. I knew very little about Quantum Computing before I began, nevertheless I found this course to be a useful introduction to the subject. However, I would recommend that anyone seeking to complete the course should check first that they are competent with the necessary mathematical prerequisites.

By Bilal T

Jan 13, 2020

It was a good introductory course with a lot of details covered relating basics of quantum computation. It would have been a lot better if more solved examples would have been added to give more clarity to the concept. This intern would have allowed a better understanding in doing the assignments/quizzes. Over all I enjoyed the course.

By Aoife H

Feb 14, 2021

An excellent overview of Quantum Computing. I feel I have got a good understanding of the basics now. I would agree with the rating of 'Intermediate' for this course as I think to do this course without a good knowledge of Linear Algebra and a little experience with Number Theory would be quite challenging.

By Michael H N

Nov 6, 2020

It's a very concise course that goes over a plethora of ideas briefly. Complex ideas in the last two weeks I believe were communicated very quickly and could have used more time and content to digest well. Nevertheless, I enjoyed and appreciated it. Thank you Coursera and thank you, professor!