Back to Quantum Computing. Less Formulas - More Understanding

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Quantum Computing. Less Formulas - More Understanding by Saint Petersburg State University

This is yet one more introductory course on quantum computing. Here I concentrate more on how the mathematical model of quantum computing grows out from physics and experiment, while omitting most of the formulas (when possible) and rigorous proofs. On the first week I try to explain in simple language (I hope) where the computational power of a quantum computer comes from, and why it is so hard to implement it. To understand the materials of this week you don't need math above the school level. Second and third weeks are about the mathematical model of quantum computing, and how it is justified experimentally. Some more math is required here. I introduce the notion of a linear vector space, discuss some simple differential equations and use complex numbers. The forth week is dedicated to the mathematical language of quantum mechanics. You might need this if you want to dig deeper into subject, however I touch only the tip of the iceberg here. On the week 5 I finally introduce some simple quantum algorithms for cryptography and teleportation....

GR
Dec 10, 2020

I like everything about this course except the title, there are many formulas. But really well explained, I enjoyed it a lot and I think I learned something. I recommend it.

DM
Apr 19, 2021

Great course! Awesome opportunity to learn from the top Russian university, professor Sysoev presents this difficult topic in an engaging style.

1 - 23 of 23 Reviews for Quantum Computing. Less Formulas - More Understanding

By Vishal B

Oct 15, 2020

An awesome introductory course!

Having looked the the course "Introduction to Quantum Computing" by Professor Сысоев Сергей Сергеевич and finding it overwhelming at start >.< this is a welcome and a more friendly introduction to the same aforesaid course. It could be, as someone above pointed out, called as the Introduction to the Introduction to Quantum Computing course with well layed out and clear explanation to a lot of concepts.

I am extremely glad to note that professor Сысоев Сергей Сергеевич has hugely improved on his on camera presence and is much more fun and free in this new course. I totally liked his camera presence and the way he explains is stellar as always in both the courses, but this one shows he has worked on in perfecting his presence on video. I am looking forward to gladly look into more courses by him as I really like the way he explains and put forth concepts, clarifying everything and explaining with clear justifications. Thank you so much professor. I will be now advancing into your next course as I believe most of the perquisites and the things that overwhelmed me have been cleared and I hope to complete it soon :D

By Jayesh P

Sep 30, 2020

Very good course with lot of knowledge packed in brief video sessions. It may require multiple reading/watching but at end it makes lot of sense. The contents of this course are good for both entry level person as well as someone who knows basics, As a computer software engineer I found it one of the best courses available online on Quantum Computing. Thank you for creating this course !!

By QUAGLIA R

Sep 22, 2020

This course keeps its promises, few math and more focus to explain the key concepts that enable quantum computing.

The name could be "The Introduction to The Introduction to Quantum Computing", the other course of the same professor.

If you completed the Introduction first, like in my case, you'll probably find this course easy and fast to pass. Anyway it worth it to do it because here are given additional "tools", like the Bloch Sphere, and other gates and algorithms descriptions not included in the Introduction.

I particularly appreciated the professor's effort in being more communicative - if you also do the Introduction you will notice differences in tone of voice and emphasis, which can also be seen in this course as a video of the Introduction has also been included here.

One thingh that remains to improve are the sub-titles, that are automatically generated by some imperfetc tool producing errors, sometimes funny (e.g.: Quantum Computing that becomes Quantum Confusion) but sometimes missleading (e.g.: near the end of the video about wavefuntions). I would suggest either to change voice recognition tool or to review and correct the result before publishing the course.

By Thomas A T

Jan 11, 2021

This is a good first course for a difficult subject. Keep in mind "Less Formulas" in the title is a relative term. As the Professor of the course said, if you have a problem with any of the math you should look for other explanations of the math at issue on YouTube so that you actually understand the current concept before moving on. It is very helpful to review the same video again and if still not clear to listen to other videos to see if they explain it in a way that resonates with you. It is a good course, although in difficult subject so some effort is required. I am planning to take other of the QC courses from this professor.

By Oskar

Dec 16, 2020

I really appreciate the way course was delivered. Great, mind opening examples supported with precise language and comments.

By Yevonnael A

Nov 26, 2020

A very nice introduction to the subject! Now I will take a harder course. Thank you!

By Fred v d B

Mar 5, 2021

The course would be easier to follow if it started with an overview that shows how the various elements of the course are related and fit together into a complete picture. I had to listen to the course twice and for the first 3 weeks three times to build up this picture.

By Kris L

Feb 5, 2021

This was my first Coursera course and it was a hard subject I really wanted to learn more about. I wasn't disappointed. It was truly excellent. Professor Sysoev really helped advance my understanding of quantum mechanics and quantum computing, without overwhelming amounts of advanced math. There certainly were times, especially week four, where I was stretched to my personal mathematic abilities, but even then I was able to follow the concepts and continue. Professor Sysoev is a great teacher, with the right mix of clarity, example and humor to make this challenging subject approachable. I highly recommend this course!

By Amanda A

Mar 30, 2021

I found this course to be a really accessible way to get into the exciting principles behind quantum computing. My AP Calc skills are very rusty, but I have to say that the Professor makes the dense math in lecture 4 clear and relatively easy to wrap your head around. The lectures are broken up into comfortable lengths, and I found his presentation of the material clear and concise. Overall, this has been a really nice way to dip my toes into this fascinating field - and tempts me to take some more math in order to have a go at the more advanced version of this course.

By Denis C

Feb 18, 2021

I wish there are more courses like this one that gives a basic understanding of complex things like Quantum Computing. The course is well designed and thought through. Before the course, quantum physics sounds like a spell to me, and now I can understand how all this works and even apply some simple computation formulas and algorithms. Next step, I'm going to try applying my new knowledge to programming a quantum computer (luckily we already have some these days).

The course was really inspiring. Thank you so much for teaching!

By Kyle C

Apr 13, 2021

Fantastic course for someone who has minimal training in math but wants to better understand quantum computing. Professor Sysoev made the subject approachable and even fun. This course inspired me to try to learn the math I need to take his next course, Introduction to Quantum Computing. Thank you!

By simon s

Feb 26, 2021

Bravo!!! I am a PhD student in this area and watched the videos and are awesome, really well explained. I already know a little about the subject and most of the explanations are some of the best I have seen. Really great work.

By Guillem C R

Dec 11, 2020

By Diana M

By Darío A A S

May 17, 2021

A very useful course, it was more than I think I could learn in a very brief course. 100% satisfied

By Paulo H d S

Apr 12, 2021

A very nice introduction to the quantum computing. Really well explained.

By Edgar A J P

Mar 20, 2021

Buen curso, vale la pena seguirlo, el instructor enseña bien.

By Shadi

Jun 21, 2021

Great clarity!

By TSIRTSIKOU M

Mar 8, 2021

I am 48 years old and i have a major degree in Physics. Although i have studied Quanto physics back then, i wanted to recall some basic things about it since now i am a software programmer. This course is very comprehensive and i would like to congractulate the proffesor since i believe it is very difficult, almost impossible for such Knowledge to be conveyed especially to people who have no background in physics or maths. An excellent effort , congractulations again. I am looking forward to take the intermediate course for quantum computing.

Marina

By Tracy R

Apr 19, 2021

Presentation of material is extremely dry without any effort to make it interesting or appealing. Instructor has a very heavy accent which makes him difficult to understand at times.