Back to Rails with Active Record and Action Pack

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Rails with Active Record and Action Pack by Johns Hopkins University

You already know how to build a basic web application with the Ruby on Rails framework. Perhaps, you have even taken Course 1, "Ruby on Rails: An Introduction" (we highly recommend it) where you relied on external web services to be your “data layer”. But in the back of your mind, you always knew that there would come a time when you would need to roll up your sleeves and learn SQL to be able to interact with your own relational database (RDBMS). But there is an easier way to get started with SQL using the Active Record Object/Relational (ORM) framework. In this course, we will be able to use the Ruby language and the Active Record ORM framework to automate interactions with the database to quickly build the application we want. In Rails with Active Record and Action Pack, we will explore how to interact with relational databases by using Active Record, a Ruby gem, which Rails uses by default for database access. We will then take a look at what role Active Record plays in the overall request-response cycle, when a client (the browser) requests data from the server, as well as how to submit the data to the server. Of course, when accessing data, security is of paramount importance! We will talk about vulnerabilities such as SQL injection, as well as how to secure access to data by authenticating and authorizing users accessing the data. Take this course to build a Ruby on Rails application with Active Record to automate the detailed SQL interactions with our database....

AB

Aug 11, 2016

A nice continuation to course 1 of this specialization, deeper dive into RoR, among other things you will learn how to manipulate/display database data and how to authenticate/authorize users!

NL

Dec 17, 2015

Great explanation of not so easy to understand concepts. Lecturer provides good example that can help material better and see how what you've learned can be applied to real world scenarios.

76 - 100 of 145 Reviews for Rails with Active Record and Action Pack

By Jorge R

Dec 09, 2015

Great Material and clear example !!!

By Zach T

Dec 04, 2015

awesome course, nails the basics!

By Marcio N F

Dec 05, 2016

It was so helpful!

I recommend this course.

By 徐剑敏

Feb 03, 2017

Do find something useful, even I am quite familiar with Rails. Good course!

By Yifei H

Apr 22, 2018

This is a great course. I had no knowledge in Ruby and web development before this course (I skipped Intro to Rails course which is the first in this specialization). This course has very well designed coding assignment with tests written in RSpec. All four coding assignments all build upon the previous one, so there is no context switch, and they together build up Todo List App. I love the fact this course is very focused on MVC of Rails. I would recommend it to anyone who would love to learn Rails and MVC pattern.

By Alexander T

Feb 12, 2016

I enjoyed it very much, well explained and guided. Inherits the test-driven grading system of the previous course. Excellent.

By Toby P

Dec 12, 2016

Fantastic presentation material. By far above average.

By Jean-Luc B

Feb 13, 2016

Another great MOOC. I really learned a lot and enjoyed this course.

By Pham C N

Oct 24, 2016

Excellent!

By Fernando P

Nov 05, 2016

funny and challenging course!!

By Omar S

Sep 12, 2016

Again a very helpful course. Thanks very much.

By Alan M S

well done!

thank you!

By Boulate K

Mar 31, 2018

Well taught and very interactive. I recommend this to every one interested in understanding the core concepts of rails

By Bruno

Feb 17, 2016

Great course.

By Steven J

Jun 05, 2016

I really liked writing the authentication myself. I've relied on Devise (and will continue using it mostly) but really got an appreciation for what was going on.

By Alejandro E

Oct 24, 2017

Great course with excellent attention to detail.

By Subhrajit D

Apr 26, 2017

Excellent !

By Vivek G

Feb 10, 2018

As good as Course 1, grate learning experience ! Thank You professor for this excellent course...

By Thomas L

Jan 18, 2017

Great follow up course on Ruby programming!

By Paul B

Oct 16, 2016

This course is a pretty detailed analysis of Controller and View roles in MVC with all it's syntax and conventions but it's definitely require some additional material for students to find by themselves. Anyway quizes and assignments are amazing - very good practice even for a little bit more advanced students than complete beginners!

By Uladzislau R

Jan 19, 2017

very useful

By Paolo P

May 01, 2017

very good course. It has helped me a lot to understand critical ruby on rails concepts.

By Intellisys

Aug 18, 2017

This course teach me a lot of complex things like authentication, nested resources and authorization. This is a great course for someone that want to learn Rails

By Daniel