Back to Robotics: Aerial Robotics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Robotics: Aerial Robotics by University of Pennsylvania

How can we create agile micro aerial vehicles that are able to operate autonomously in cluttered indoor and outdoor environments? You will gain an introduction to the mechanics of flight and the design of quadrotor flying robots and will be able to develop dynamic models, derive controllers, and synthesize planners for operating in three dimensional environments. You will be exposed to the challenges of using noisy sensors for localization and maneuvering in complex, three-dimensional environments. Finally, you will gain insights through seeing real world examples of the possible applications and challenges for the rapidly-growing drone industry. Mathematical prerequisites: Students taking this course are expected to have some familiarity with linear algebra, single variable calculus, and differential equations. Programming prerequisites: Some experience programming with MATLAB or Octave is recommended (we will use MATLAB in this course.) MATLAB will require the use of a 64-bit computer....

IT
Oct 22, 2017

The course is very good.\n\nThe classes are well taught and show general concepts. It is necessary to do research on the internet, to solve the assignments. This is not a bad thing in my point of view

ST
Jun 8, 2018

I think this is very good course of aerial robotics research. Being a student of robotics, I feel that some of stuffs in this course needs a good background in control and mechanical engineering.

51 - 75 of 629 Reviews for Robotics: Aerial Robotics

By Kim K L

Mar 8, 2017

A brilliant course and very interesting course. Very well taught! The combination of fundamentals and matlab exercises are just right (although cannot help to thinking that there must be a better way to choose Kp and Kv than what I ended up doing .. trial & error ... you will know what I talk about if you take the course! ;-).

By Rohit R K

Mar 27, 2020

The course was very interesting and helpful. Had a lot of fun solving problems both on paper and on MATLAB. Programming assignment were too intriguing and challenging but had great satisfaction when coming to a solution. I will continue learning more courses on Robotics designed by University of Pennsylvania through Coursera.

By shen2f

Jul 5, 2016

The courses and assignments are so great! Courses include a whole flow of learning robotics, from kinematics to dynamics and from motion control to trajectory planning. The concepts may be difficult to follow, but professor Kumar and TAs really make it easy for me. Really recommended to those who are interested in robotics!

By King

Jul 29, 2016

This is the first mooc I learned completely , I have learned a lot and I have to say the course ignited my inspiration in aerial robot. At last , I hope the course can provide more specific detail about how to make the robot and I am fascinated with this. Thanks to Professor Vijay Kumar and Thanks to Penn university.

By Carlo N

Aug 18, 2019

Very good course especially for the university students.

Yes, it is a basic course, but it contains very interesting exercises and the theory is very well explained.

Personally, I recommend this course to every one who study aeronautical engineering, mechanical engineering, informatics or controls and systems design.

By Maksym B

Dec 26, 2019

Great course! It has challenging assignments related to control of the quadrotor. I like the idea of the next assignment being similar to the previous one but getting more complex. The lectures are good as well, the material is pretty deep. It would be great to have more supplementary material for each topic.

By Naveen

Jul 8, 2016

One of the best courses to pursue in the field of Robotics. The course is well-structured in terms of both the lectures and the assignments. It covers kinematics, dynamics, control, and trajectory planning in a short span of four weeks and also provides an opportunity to test the ideas in the simulation.

By HITESH

Nov 26, 2016

Very encouraging and challenging with lot of learning on the way. Dr. Vijay and his colleagues have made this course sufficient in information and resources required for the course. I feel privileged to be a part of this course. I will try to implement these learning in my professional work. Thank You

By Troy W

Jan 22, 2016

So far the best course available online, almost research level. I have never done anything UAV, but I am a researcher for many years. I finish the material within 1 week (not full time). I assume it would be possible for average senior undergraduate student to finish with 4 weeks of intensive study.

By Shashank N

Nov 15, 2020

This was an excellent course on how to control drones. I got in-depth knowledge about trajectory planning and motion control of drones with the math so simply explained. I have been an enormous admirer of Professor Vijay Kumar and his work on aerial robotics and this massively helped my internship

By Djs

Mar 7, 2016

Wow!!!Great course. Should add Matlab and understanding of basic Calculus to the prerequisites for those not familiar with those concepts. The sidebar videos helped refresh concepts for those of us not in an Engineering program, but have had the material before. Can't wait for the next classes!!

By Ambagahage Y C J

Feb 6, 2016

This course was very helpful and facilitated me to understand the theories i learned with the applications.The course materials were very effectively planned and the assignments were very effective to gain the understanding what was taught in the lectures.I highly recommend this course..*******

By Beili L

Jul 21, 2017

I really enjoyed this course. I thought the material was interesting and the programming assignments were challenging but achievable. The assignments used the lecture materials, so that you had a solid basis to start, but also went further so that you could stretch yourself a little.

By Bharath C

Dec 10, 2019

The course was very informative and carried out in a very organized manner. The lectures are presented with good content and are easily comprehensible. But, the content of Week-4 must be made more understandable. As a beginner, I had a difficult time understanding those lectures.

By Richard M

May 18, 2017

This is the first online course I've taken and I have to say I'm extremely impressed. Dr. Kumar and his aides have done an impressive job of teaching in a clear fashion the things you need to know (and know how to do!) to produce autonomous flight with a drone.

Very well done!

By Natnael G T

Aug 26, 2018

This is very interesting course which makes me to think about a lot of technological advancement and makes to love my department meaning Electro-Mechanical engineering and i would gladly like to suggest all electrical and mechanical engineering student to take this course.

By James H

Feb 14, 2016

I loved this course. I particularly enjoyed the programming assignments, which taught me a great deal and were extremely satisfying. It is terrific to see a truly rigorous, mathematical engineering course on Coursera. I will gladly sign up for the next course in the series.

By Siddhant Y

Nov 8, 2018

The course is informative and thorough. Professor Kumar does a brilliant job of explaining all the concepts as thoroughly within the permitted time. The supplementary videos are extremely helpful in understanding all the calculations and derivations in the course videos.

By GiorgiGvasalia

Feb 14, 2016

first of all, thank you for this course, thanks to it i have got an apportunity to specialise in robotics. I hope this course will help me to be succesful in my future life.

best regards Giorgi Gvasalia

By Lalith K

Sep 1, 2020

Except for the last assignment on the trajectory generation topic, everything is great. There is no proper guide on how to write a Matlab program to generate a trajectory. That would be really great if you add an additional lecture or guide for trajectory generation.

By Alex B

Mar 7, 2018

Great course. At first, I thought that the class was geared to leave some things out, but I've come to realize that they really want to make you think. They don't want to just do the work for you. I learned a lot, and I'm looking forward to the next classes.

By Abhiram S

Nov 5, 2018

Very good course. Prof. Kumar teaches in a lucid manner and the supplementary material is really helpful. One suggestion is that there could be one assignment on working with ode45 function and solving hte ODEs. This was mostly given in all the assignments.

By harith m n

Mar 6, 2017

I am now at the 3rd week of this course. The lectures and supplementary materials helped me a lot to have a proper understanding on the mathematics behind the quad-rotor's motion control. I look forward to complete the course and practice more onto Matlab.

By Chirag M

Apr 25, 2020

I thanks to all professors and Coursera team for providing such a great platform and this course,

This course helped me a lot to learn and understand some basics and advanced concepts in aerial robotics and how to implement that in real quadrotors.

By Joudy N

Dec 14, 2018

This course was amazing. The presentation were very clear and Prof. Vijay Kumar is excellent when explaining every detail of the course. What I liked the most is the challenges faced during the assignments and the content which was great. Thank you