Back to Ruby on Rails: An Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ruby on Rails: An Introduction by Johns Hopkins University

Did you ever want to build a web application? Perhaps you even started down that path in a language like Java or C#, when you realized that there was so much “climbing the mountain” that you had to do? Maybe you have heard about web services being all the rage, but thought they were too complicated to integrate into your web application. Or maybe you wondered how deploying web applications to the cloud works, but there was too much to set up just to get going. In this course, we will explore how to build web applications with the Ruby on Rails web application framework, which is geared towards rapid prototyping. Yes, that means building quickly! At the conclusion of this course, you will be able to build a meaningful web application and deploy it to the “cloud” using a Heroku PaaS (Platform as a Service). Best of all, it will almost feel effortless… Really! “But wait”, you will say, “there is no way that we can build a useful application if there is no database involved. You need the data for an application to be useful.” Great point! But what if… instead of getting the data from the database, we get it from the internet by tapping into one of the web services out there that readily provides data needed by our application? “Ok, but that’s probably very complicated”, you will say. Take this course and you will be pleasantly surprised at just how easy it is!...

HM

Oct 01, 2017

I have played around with Ruby on Rails before but this course really helped me understand the nots and bolts. It is worth replicating all the examples shown in the videos to get a good understanding,

GC

Aug 07, 2016

One of the most challenging things I've ever done.\n\nThe course goes from zero to web deploy in 3 weeks and there are more to enjoy, discover and learn....\n\nTry it, I't's a no-return voyage

326 - 350 of 552 Reviews for Ruby on Rails: An Introduction

Oct 14, 2018

TOP!

By Parth C

Sep 04, 2018

Good

By 党文亮

Dec 03, 2015

Good

By Ashvith S

Must say , this course covers literally everything in brief one needs to know about Ruby and Rails. So , I am pretty impressed by the syntax and the flexibility of the Ruby language , and the concept of modular libraries/framework called Gems. Nice , but one must remember that the documentation of Ruby is more densely packed in Japanese , and not in other language , so , please think carefully before choosing Ruby as you main language , because I can assure you that most useful gems are documented in Japanese , and for nearly a decade , you won't be getting them , unless Ruby turns mainstream.

Now , onto the quality of course.

I did not enjoy the outdated courses. Disappointed by the fact , but I do wish that the lecturers make an effort to update to the new version.

The lecturer , I must say , knows his stuffs. I enjoyed the theoretical part , but I blame my being a non-native English speaker that I had to struggle at some parts.