Back to Ruby on Rails: An Introduction

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Ruby on Rails: An Introduction by Johns Hopkins University

Did you ever want to build a web application? Perhaps you even started down that path in a language like Java or C#, when you realized that there was so much “climbing the mountain” that you had to do? Maybe you have heard about web services being all the rage, but thought they were too complicated to integrate into your web application. Or maybe you wondered how deploying web applications to the cloud works, but there was too much to set up just to get going. In this course, we will explore how to build web applications with the Ruby on Rails web application framework, which is geared towards rapid prototyping. Yes, that means building quickly! At the conclusion of this course, you will be able to build a meaningful web application and deploy it to the “cloud” using a Heroku PaaS (Platform as a Service). Best of all, it will almost feel effortless… Really! “But wait”, you will say, “there is no way that we can build a useful application if there is no database involved. You need the data for an application to be useful.” Great point! But what if… instead of getting the data from the database, we get it from the internet by tapping into one of the web services out there that readily provides data needed by our application? “Ok, but that’s probably very complicated”, you will say. Take this course and you will be pleasantly surprised at just how easy it is!...

HM

Oct 01, 2017

I have played around with Ruby on Rails before but this course really helped me understand the nots and bolts. It is worth replicating all the examples shown in the videos to get a good understanding,

GC

Aug 07, 2016

One of the most challenging things I've ever done.\n\nThe course goes from zero to web deploy in 3 weeks and there are more to enjoy, discover and learn....\n\nTry it, I't's a no-return voyage

101 - 125 of 509 Reviews for Ruby on Rails: An Introduction

By Naveen T

Mar 12, 2016

Great course, beautifully put forth. Thanks Prof.

By Rogier N

Apr 23, 2016

I like this course

By Viacheslav S

Dec 27, 2016

This course is really well done (structure, material, examples, tests etc.). It is especially useful for people who already know some programming language. It provides a complete representation of good application (git, tests (rspec + Capybara + phantomjs) , heroku, using some API etc).

The course contains only 3 modules, but this modules contains essential information for junior RoR developer.

Also I'd recommend to read "Head First Ruby" during the course. The course and the book helped me to dive into ruby during one week.

By Laxmikant P

Dec 12, 2016

It is an excellent introduction to Rails and the best part is the learning from assignments at end of each week and the final project. It is a well thought out course.

By Omar S

Sep 04, 2016

Very relevant course. Nice one guys!

By Carlos P

Oct 04, 2016

Excelente curso para aprender desarrollo de aplicaciones web en Ruby on Rails

By umesh g

Apr 21, 2016

Awsomn!

By Giuseppe V

Feb 28, 2016

I really liked this course! I learned a lot about ruby and the way the professor teach us is really great! It's not annoying like other videos or books for those who doesn't like to read too much (like me) Amazing job! thanks you for everything

By Romayne W

Oct 04, 2015

Very Good first step into ruby on rails

By Michael B

May 02, 2016

Good intro, nice to mix in the various concepts that I will be working with as well (Heroku, Git, etc.). Also appreciated the Java comparisons since I have been working in Java for 15 years.

By Bhargav S G

Aug 14, 2016

thanks for upgrading my level ;)

By Ryan D

Jun 16, 2018

Guys, Apart form the incredible quality of course content, which is in itself an privilege as I got this course on financial aid, the best and by far the most awesome thing about this course is there are intentional pitfalls designed in the challenges itself. The challenges are written to give you hints on what is necessary and this makes you go through the documentation of the respective components which is a super awesome thing. Would recommend it if anyone is excited to learn Ruby on Rails and thanks a tonne Coursera for this privilege.

By Vitor D

Dec 03, 2015

Very well structured introductory course.

By Lidia U

Jun 03, 2017

Very good course! Though I was totaly new to the programming material, it was quite easy to follow. Thank you Kalman very much!!

By Bernard L d V

Apr 15, 2016

Nice course, lots of information. I liked the level not being too low or too high. The level is nice for if you have programming experience, but have no experience with developing web applications.

Cheers, Ben

By 江智彬

Jan 13, 2016

This is my first time to program with Ruby. This course lets me have fun with Ruby Programming. Thank all of you sincerely !

By Guillaume S

Oct 10, 2016

Great course !

By Sergei K

Sep 28, 2015

This is the best online course for Ruby on Rails I have ever seen so far.

By Joana D L

Jul 25, 2017

Learn a lot! Well teached! Awesome Ruby :) <3

By Alan M S

Feb 15, 2016

A lot of things to learn even if you are a rails dev!

By Agustin V

Oct 29, 2015

Very good introduction to Ruby on Rails!

By Jason K

Nov 07, 2015

A very nice introduction. The assignments are very good at helping students apply the concepts from the course.

By Toan D L

Jan 06, 2017

Short course but enough challenging and interesting. I really like the short course to update my skills on web development...3-5 week course are really good!

By Jay S P

Feb 09, 2016

This introduction was an extra ordinary course to get started with Ruby on Rails and it really helped me to build my skills

By Andrii L

Nov 17, 2015

Nice start to learn Rails!