Back to Buddhism and Modern Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Buddhism and Modern Psychology by Princeton University

The Dalai Lama has said that Buddhism and science are deeply compatible and has encouraged Western scholars to critically examine both the meditative practice and Buddhist ideas about the human mind. A number of scientists and philosophers have taken up this challenge. There have been brain scans of meditators and philosophical examinations of Buddhist doctrines. There have even been discussions of Darwin and the Buddha: Do early Buddhist descriptions of the mind, and of the human condition, make particular sense in light of evolutionary psychology? This course will examine how Buddhism is faring under this scrutiny. Are neuroscientists starting to understand how meditation “works”? Would such an understanding validate meditation—or might physical explanations of meditation undermine the spiritual significance attributed to it? And how are some of the basic Buddhist claims about the human mind holding up? We’ll pay special attention to some highly counterintuitive doctrines: that the self doesn’t exist, and that much of perceived reality is in some sense illusory. Do these claims, radical as they sound, make a certain kind of sense in light of modern psychology? And what are the implications of all this for how we should live our lives? Can meditation make us not just happier, but better people? All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

VC
Nov 15, 2015

I have been practicing meditation for two years already.In so far I have attended all Deepak Chopra meditation experiences which I found very helpful but not as helpful this course provided me so far.

LW
Oct 25, 2020

I thought this was a great introduction to both modern Buddhist thought and evolutionary psychology. Professor Wright is an excellent lecturer, and his office hours are informative as well as amusing.

801 - 825 of 1,701 Reviews for Buddhism and Modern Psychology

By Tshewang R

Sep 26, 2020

The course helped to further strengthen views on relationship between Modern Science and Buddhism.

By Sheetala P T

Jul 6, 2020

i learned so much about modern psychology and Buddhism it helped me to see myself in different way

By Shweta A

Jun 1, 2020

A great course to know about your oneself; also, it gives great insight into your Sukhh and Dukhh.

By Jasmin

Jul 19, 2017

An incredibly interesting undertaking which really assisted my personal and professional practice.

By GA

Dec 27, 2015

An introduction to analysis of Buddhism from the perspective of modern science.

Very good teacher.

By Maria L U Z

Sep 15, 2020

Que curso tan bueno, me encantó todo lo que aprendí, gracias a Coursera y la Alcaldía de Medellín

By Payal j

Aug 17, 2020

This is the best app to get knowledge about buddhism course. And even sir was also explain nicely

By Ruchika S

Jul 15, 2020

its a very interesting course.you learn number of good things which will help you in your future.

By Lucas A G G

It is an amazing course. Nothing left to say. Except hope to see one day more of Milo and Frasier

By BEN J T A

Oct 22, 2019

Great course about buddhism, meditation and modern psychology, especially evolutionary psychology

By Olga L R

Aug 30, 2018

Desvirtúa muchas ideas erróneas sobre el budismo y la espiritualidad. Me encantó la ruta escogida

By SENA T

Oct 1, 2020

The course was amazing and learn so much things in this course. Everyone should take this course

By S. G C

Un curso muy completo, interesante, emocionante y útil. Gracias Profesor Wright, muchas gracias.

By Wesley T

Dec 5, 2017

Great underplayed sense of humor in the service of a synthesis of topics I'm very interested in.

By Luis S S P

Jul 24, 2020

El mejor curso que he realizado, muchísimas gracias, que manera de invertir mi tiempo tan útil.

By Nicola J

May 13, 2018

Excellent course incorporating Buddhism, modern psychology and mindfulness. I would recommend.

By Alia A

Jun 24, 2017

An amazing & enlightening course. Gives better u derstanding for oneself & how to deal with it.

By Lalit

Apr 5, 2017

It was a great experience and profound learning. I am happy to have done this wonderful course!

By John H

Jan 15, 2017

Phenomenal course! It cast a new light on Buddhism for me, which was absolutely fascinating...

By Cristabel E

Sep 11, 2016

Life changing course... excellently executed! So so pleased I took it! Please make a follow up!

By Zhou X

May 25, 2016

Great course by Robert Wright! A lot of interesting chapters and video conversations to follow.

By Gerry B

Jun 14, 2020

The course was mind-opening for me. I can apply this personally on my daily struggles in life.

By Balaji

I found the course very useful to get started. It certainly kindles interest in learning more.

By Juan P G

Feb 12, 2020

Thank you teachers, teachings and classmates! May all beings be benefited from our practice =)