Back to Buddhism and Modern Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Buddhism and Modern Psychology by Princeton University

The Dalai Lama has said that Buddhism and science are deeply compatible and has encouraged Western scholars to critically examine both the meditative practice and Buddhist ideas about the human mind. A number of scientists and philosophers have taken up this challenge. There have been brain scans of meditators and philosophical examinations of Buddhist doctrines. There have even been discussions of Darwin and the Buddha: Do early Buddhist descriptions of the mind, and of the human condition, make particular sense in light of evolutionary psychology? This course will examine how Buddhism is faring under this scrutiny. Are neuroscientists starting to understand how meditation “works”? Would such an understanding validate meditation—or might physical explanations of meditation undermine the spiritual significance attributed to it? And how are some of the basic Buddhist claims about the human mind holding up? We’ll pay special attention to some highly counterintuitive doctrines: that the self doesn’t exist, and that much of perceived reality is in some sense illusory. Do these claims, radical as they sound, make a certain kind of sense in light of modern psychology? And what are the implications of all this for how we should live our lives? Can meditation make us not just happier, but better people? All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

VC
Nov 15, 2015

I have been practicing meditation for two years already.In so far I have attended all Deepak Chopra meditation experiences which I found very helpful but not as helpful this course provided me so far.

LW
Oct 25, 2020

I thought this was a great introduction to both modern Buddhist thought and evolutionary psychology. Professor Wright is an excellent lecturer, and his office hours are informative as well as amusing.

1101 - 1125 of 1,728 Reviews for Buddhism and Modern Psychology

By Franz L

Jun 10, 2016

Very intereting course. I recommend to everyone.

By Russ V W

Jun 8, 2016

Good info with thoughtful commentary. A+ course

By nidia a

Jul 30, 2020

Curso bem estruturado e muito rico em conteudo.

By Olegas G

May 3, 2020

Brilliant course, really enjoyed participating.

By Pragya J

Apr 18, 2020

It was very helpful. I learned a lot from this.

By Elisabeth d R

Sep 25, 2018

It is an interesting and well conceived course!

By VIMALA J R A

Feb 17, 2021

It was a good experience to know and to learn.

By Jeffrey L

Jan 3, 2021

I only wish the course had a follow-up course.

By Ángel R G

May 7, 2020

It's an excellent course.

Thank you very much.

By jai h

May 6, 2020

It improves us a lot in Buddhism and spiritual

By Manuel F M

Dec 21, 2017

Fantastic! Great course and well known teacher

By Effimia S

Oct 29, 2017

Great course, great professor, great material!

By L M

Aug 19, 2017

Very inspiring! I am very grateful, thank You!

By Wai S H

May 30, 2016

I learn a lot about our mind from this course.

By Silvia N

Apr 17, 2016

Excelente en todos los niveles. Lo recomiendo.

By Markus R

Mar 8, 2016

Great course, exceeded my expectations by far!

By Hao Y

Dec 23, 2015

It gives me a interesting way to look at life.

By Archisha B

Aug 25, 2020

This course helped me become a better person.

By Lily F

Jun 4, 2020

Really enjoyed the course and I learnt a lot!

By Kamila Ś

May 6, 2020

Very enlightening. I recomend it to everyone.

Dec 6, 2017

Buddha is a God and his religion is Buddhism.

By Omri I

Feb 7, 2017

beautifully explained, humorous and inspiring

By Lawrence A

Sep 26, 2015

An excellent course! Very highly recommended!

By Alain H

Sep 21, 2015

very clear and understandable course Thanks !

By Sambit K B

Nov 18, 2020

It's a good course to learn something extra.