Back to Buddhism and Modern Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Buddhism and Modern Psychology by Princeton University

The Dalai Lama has said that Buddhism and science are deeply compatible and has encouraged Western scholars to critically examine both the meditative practice and Buddhist ideas about the human mind. A number of scientists and philosophers have taken up this challenge. There have been brain scans of meditators and philosophical examinations of Buddhist doctrines. There have even been discussions of Darwin and the Buddha: Do early Buddhist descriptions of the mind, and of the human condition, make particular sense in light of evolutionary psychology? This course will examine how Buddhism is faring under this scrutiny. Are neuroscientists starting to understand how meditation “works”? Would such an understanding validate meditation—or might physical explanations of meditation undermine the spiritual significance attributed to it? And how are some of the basic Buddhist claims about the human mind holding up? We’ll pay special attention to some highly counterintuitive doctrines: that the self doesn’t exist, and that much of perceived reality is in some sense illusory. Do these claims, radical as they sound, make a certain kind of sense in light of modern psychology? And what are the implications of all this for how we should live our lives? Can meditation make us not just happier, but better people? All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

VC
Nov 15, 2015

I have been practicing meditation for two years already.In so far I have attended all Deepak Chopra meditation experiences which I found very helpful but not as helpful this course provided me so far.

LW
Oct 25, 2020

I thought this was a great introduction to both modern Buddhist thought and evolutionary psychology. Professor Wright is an excellent lecturer, and his office hours are informative as well as amusing.

1126 - 1150 of 1,725 Reviews for Buddhism and Modern Psychology

By Charis N

Feb 9, 2017

Best thing I've done for a looooong time !!!

By Kira B M

Sep 24, 2015

This course is awesome! So very interesting.

By Ockert L

Feb 4, 2021

This is a very practical course. Thank you!

By HARSHIT S

Oct 12, 2020

I am a changed man now. Thanks Prof. Robert

By Florencia P

Sep 24, 2020

I lear a lot, so grateful with this course.

By Onur D

Jul 9, 2020

A very informative and transforming course.

By Neha B

Extremely engaging and stimulating material

By Salbia a

May 3, 2020

An informative course by excellent Mentors.

By Phrayanarongrote T

Feb 3, 2017

Buddhism and Modern Psychology for Buddhism

By Naziha C

Jan 7, 2017

I highly recommend this very insightfcourse

By LEONOR H H A

Sep 26, 2020

Loved It! Very fun to listen to Dr. Wright

By Mahaveer S K

Sep 26, 2020

Very nicely designed and delivered course.

By Shriya T

Jun 20, 2020

It was a great experience of Mindfulness !

By Yash K S

May 15, 2020

I enjoyed learning all the way through it!

By A. E H

Feb 4, 2018

Excellent course!!! I highly recommend it!

By carlos j

Apr 18, 2020

very captivating, Professor Wright is A.1

By Nancy E H N

Feb 7, 2019

It has simply changed my life. Thank you!

By Lidiya V

Dec 11, 2015

it`s really amazing, thank you so so much

By Anitha B

Nov 6, 2015

Fantastic. Need More practical experience

By Penelope J

Nov 2, 2020

very good resources, videos and lectures

By Zarina K

Sep 13, 2020

I loved this course! Highly recommended!

By María T C M

Jul 28, 2020

Very good course! I highly recommend it.

By Yeesan L

Jul 14, 2020

Excellent class. I highly recommend it.