Back to Buddhism and Modern Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Buddhism and Modern Psychology by Princeton University

The Dalai Lama has said that Buddhism and science are deeply compatible and has encouraged Western scholars to critically examine both the meditative practice and Buddhist ideas about the human mind. A number of scientists and philosophers have taken up this challenge. There have been brain scans of meditators and philosophical examinations of Buddhist doctrines. There have even been discussions of Darwin and the Buddha: Do early Buddhist descriptions of the mind, and of the human condition, make particular sense in light of evolutionary psychology? This course will examine how Buddhism is faring under this scrutiny. Are neuroscientists starting to understand how meditation “works”? Would such an understanding validate meditation—or might physical explanations of meditation undermine the spiritual significance attributed to it? And how are some of the basic Buddhist claims about the human mind holding up? We’ll pay special attention to some highly counterintuitive doctrines: that the self doesn’t exist, and that much of perceived reality is in some sense illusory. Do these claims, radical as they sound, make a certain kind of sense in light of modern psychology? And what are the implications of all this for how we should live our lives? Can meditation make us not just happier, but better people? All the features of this course are available for free. It does not offer a certificate upon completion....

VC
Nov 15, 2015

I have been practicing meditation for two years already.In so far I have attended all Deepak Chopra meditation experiences which I found very helpful but not as helpful this course provided me so far.

CV
Mar 2, 2016

Engaging content and excellent pace. While the level is introductory (I'd have liked a bit more depth), I would expect this from a lower-division/breadth course—and even more so from a MOOC like this.

1626 - 1650 of 1,757 Reviews for Buddhism and Modern Psychology

By 雯 张

Jun 15, 2016

Very inspiring to understand my own religion,thanks a lot to the scientific contribution in this particular area。

By Fran M

Sep 8, 2020

Overall excellent course. one note for improvement some of the lectures could have been a little more concise.

By Daniela M L

Jul 15, 2020

Very interesting and well presented. But the fact that it doesn't issue a certificate it's a negative point

By Poornima H S

Sep 7, 2020

one of the best course i saw, very useful. we cam come over from many kind of problems which we are facing

By Jainik M

Jul 26, 2017

this is good course if you want to learn about buddhism techings scientifically.Good knowledge to acquire

By Wayne S J

Feb 6, 2016

I love opening my mind up to new concepts and ways of thinking. It's challenging and keeps me on my toes.

By Arkar M S

Oct 18, 2020

As the name of the course goes,a good course to tap into the realtion of buddhism and modern psychology

By Laila S M L

Sep 15, 2020

The topics covered in the course are interesting, however exposing the content is sometimes boring.

By Leslie P

Sep 20, 2016

Interesting, and more grounded than I was expecting from a class focused on meditation. Well done.

By EzhilRajan V

Aug 20, 2020

following the course is very much useful , in personal as well as discussion with our colleagues.

By Aditya L

Nov 17, 2016

It got a little confusing towards the end; I wish Robert took a little more time on those topics.

By Diane D

Apr 17, 2021

Very interesting course to gain knowledge on buddhism and how it relates to medical psychology.

By A. M M

Jul 24, 2020

very interesting, but I had the impression that often less words would bebetter and possible

By Juan M

Dec 21, 2015

The second half of lectures were a little confusing, but nothing that a rewatch can´t solve!

By Flavia L

Feb 25, 2017

Interesting course. I would have liked to have more on meditation but otherwise it was ok.

By Medha S

Jan 7, 2017

It was a brilliant course. we get to learn so much to improve ourselves. i enjoyed it. :)

By Belén Q

Jun 14, 2020

Muy buen curso! Se me hizo más interesante el principio y luego lo sentí más repetitivo.

By Kwinten K

May 17, 2018

Dr. Wright is fantastic, and does an excellent job teaching challenging course material.

By Frederic

Jun 15, 2020

Great course. Plenty of ideas to reflect upon and put together in a very Buddhist way.

By Saikat B

Apr 12, 2020

Too much dialogue and the span of the video was lengthy, sometimes it was monotonous.

By Hemaxi M

Dec 15, 2016

Wanted to know Buddhism, how is it different from Hinduism. Thank you for the course.

By Will G

Sep 11, 2018

Informative, humorous, engaging, and the teaching staff respond to forum questions.

By KETAN P

Jan 23, 2021

Thank God I'm an athiest, if you do have same belief then just go for this course.

By Zach S

Mar 29, 2016

The ideas are a little stretched but nevertheless a fun and enlightening course.

By G k

Jun 20, 2020

well, the explanation was clear and having myself till end helped me gain more.